Tuesday, March 20, 2012

sip & see preparations . . .

The Sip & See tea is on Saturday so this week Joc and I will both be busy making food preparations!  Last week we went through the sweets and savories for the buffet line and I chose to make, among other things, two sweets that I love to make for teas.  Meringue Daisies and Cream Cheese Mints.  Yummy!

Tonight I went ahead and made the cream cheese mints.  Two hundred and thirteen of them, when it was all said and done (and I couldn't pop an additional mint in my mouth).  They are so good and easy to make, and such a lovely addition to a tea party or shower, I thought I'd share the process here.  
The basic recipe (as I've amended it over the years) is as follows:

Pink Cream Cheese Mints
Yields:  Approximately 220

8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
10 drops of peppermint oil (not extract)
2-3 drops of red food coloring gel 
      (use more or less depending on the depth of color you want)
2 pounds  + 2 cups of confectioner's sugar (plus more if necessary)
sanding sugar -- I prefer red, pink or opalescent (optional)

Mix cream cheese, butter, oil and food coloring until well blended and food coloring is thoroughly distributed.  Add powdered sugar.  It might be easier to add it 3-4 cups at a time.  It's easiest to work with your hands.  You'll know it's well mixed and you've added enough confectioner's sugar when it stops sticking to your hands!  The mixture should be relatively dry and non-sticky when it's ready to shape.  If needed, add more confectioner's sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
Once the mix is ready, you can shape your candies in several ways.  I use rubber candy molds, because I like the pretty shapes.  I roll a ball of about 1/2", dip it into the sanding sugar, and press it into the mold.  Then you press it back out of the mold and lay it on wax or parchment paper.  
The other method you can use is to roll a ball of 1/2", dip it into the sanding sugar (if you choose), and then lay it on a flat surface (covered in wax or parchment paper) and use the tines of a fork to flatten it out.  This method turns out very pretty little disks.

Allow the candies to sit out for 2-4 hours so they set and dry.  Then store in air tight containers in the refrigerator or freezer.
I tend to make these when I need LARGE amounts, but I'm fairly certain you could easily halve ... or even quarter ... the recipe if you wanted/needed to!  Of course, you want to make sure you've made enough that you can sample your wares as you work through the process!!  You can also use other colors, or even divvy up your mixture and do multiple colors in one batch.  I've not played around with other flavors, although I do sometimes (if I've got it handy) add a couple of drops of butter flavoring for good measure.   

:) 

14 left a comment . . .:

Jocelyn said...

These are my faaaaaavorite! Thanks for making them for me... well, for my party. :)

Kris said...

Oh, yum, Denise!! I LOVE these little goodies too!! Talk about melt in your mouth!! And thank you for the recipe!! Kris

Janet O. said...

A friend made these for my daughter's reception years ago. I loved them but never got the recipe. Thanks for sharing it. That was a lot of work!!

Cathy said...

Thanks for the recipe and the how-to. It was fun messaging back and forth on facebook tonight.

Barbara F. said...

I bet these mints are delicious. I can't wait to see all the photos of that precious baby. Wish I lived closer so I could help you. xo

Editfolt said...

hmm, very beautiful flovers.

Teresa in Music City said...

Those look positively yummy!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe... can't wait to try it out!

Jean said...

Those sound delish... It's like peppermint cream cheese frosting, only more gooder...LOL!

Connie said...

Yummy treats Denise and so pretty too! Thanks for sharing!
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Paula said...

How many calories does one gets from licking the screen? LOL!
Those look good. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Paula said...

Could you make those using a cookie press?

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Those sound delicious and look amazing!

Sarah said...

Those mints look yummy! I mean they are mint... :)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm pretty sure that stuff's a sin. Just sayin.' :) blessings, marlene