Saturday, March 03, 2012

thankful for another day . . .

Wow.  What an incredible, destructive force of nature a tornado is.  Yesterday afternoon, a second line of storms swept through our area and we again headed down the road to our nearest neighbor, to take shelter.  (An RV isn't the greatest place to be in the middle of a tornado!)  We made it just to the front steps when we could hear the wind roaring closer and just made it into the house as hail started to fall . . . 
Golf ball sized hail!  That would *hurt* if you got hit with it.  Again, we lucked out ... the storm was fast moving and we were in the clear within ten minutes.  Todd and I got back in the car and decided to head to downtown New Market to see if we could grab some BBQ for dinner.  As we headed down our road we could see where LOTS of trees had been down.  
And at the top of our road, we saw the first structural damage:
And as we went further down the road, we could see the exact path of the morning storm . . . 

There used to be a house sitting there.

All less than a half a mile from our site at the camp, as the crow flies.  Incredible.  I saw my road on national news last night ... very surreal.  The good news is that there was NO loss of life connected with these storms in our area -- and very few minor injuries.  Hillsboro Circle and Drive are both still without power -- but for once, because the camp connects with a different power source, we did get power back yesterday afternoon, prior to the second storm.  Crazy.

I did go out and gather some daffodils ... I figured I may as well pick and enjoy them before the winds smashed them down.  I'd purchased a 'frog' in an antique shop in Fairhope (they are hard to find!) and put it to good use -- aren't they happy?
I do love happy, sunny daffodils!

Today is cool and sunny with clear skies.  Joc, Jason, and Ellie are headed our way to spend some time today.  Yay!  Ellie's first visit to her Neesey and Paw-paw's!  And, I'm going to take her for her very FIRST golf cart ride, too!!  (Mommy will hold her -- and we're staying on level ground.)

Happy Saturday!

:)

23 left a comment . . .:

KOcanQuilt said...

Oh Denise, I am so glad you are all ok. Hopefully you didn't have too much damage at the camp. Enjoy your day with that little darling!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I am so happy to hear from you! I knew you were in the path from news and on-line stories and so prayed. Enjoy your daffodils and your loved ones today.

Quiet Quilter said...

Glad you and yours were okay. Enjoy your visit with your loved ones. Enjoy the clear skies.

angie@sfquilts said...

I am glad you all are safe and there was no loss of life in your area. Enjoy your daffodils and your visit with your family.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

So glad that all is well. So scary. Glad that you have a safe place to go to if needed.

Editfolt said...

It is very devastating storm was with you! Here in Hungary there is no tornado. Here the houses are solid concrete ground. Are not made of wood. the daffodils are beautiful. Here, we have not yet opened.

Melissa said...

I praise our, Lord that you are all safe and sound! Thank you, Lord!

Momof3girls said...

I'm so glad that you are alright. I would have missed you very much, if I couldn't have read your posts and knew what you were doing each day.

I hope to be able to post a surprise on Monday. Look for it!
Have a blessed safe weekend!

Teresa in Music City said...

So glad you came through okay! We did well here too. My heart breaks for the many who lost lives and/or property last night!!!

~Niki~ said...

so scary! we don't get tornados here in AZ, just 120 deg heat! blech.

Kris said...

Oh, Denise - I am sooooo glad you are okay!! I was very worried about you when I was watching the news last night!! And you are right, a mobile home is not a good tornado hideaway!! I am happy you have some place to go for safety and VERY happy your home is okay!! The daffodils are gorgeous!! Have a safe weekend!! Kris

Mary said...

I saw your pictures on FB. Glad you had a place to huncker down. HAPPY DAY for Ellie to come, and the rest too! She is growing. Be safe. Prayers answered!

Lee said...

I kept seeing news last night showing how bad it was in your neck of the woods and was so concerned for you. Praise God for safety! Daffodils (and Carnations) are some of my most favorite flowers. I have never seen the ones with the frilly yellow trumpet nor the white with pink-edged trumpet - SO beautiful!
Hugs~Lee

Rachel's Quilts said...

Glad to hear you and yours are all right after the storms. Thought of you yesterday as I listened to the news.
Love your daffodils. We don't have any growing here - I think I may have to buy some this weekend.
Enjoy your visit with Ellie.

Janet O. said...

I was so happy to see this post and know you are okay! I had been worried by the news I saw--sounded awfully close to you and it was!! Can't believe the damage within half a mile. You were in my prayers--so glad they were answered in a happy way!

Rosa said...

Glad you`re fine.

Take care!!

Asiyah said...

No lives lost? Thank God for His eternal grace! Glad to hear you all are okay, my friend.

Pat said...

I kept watching to see any post of yours on FB....and I was relieved that you are okay. Those tornadoes must be so scary.

Jean said...

I'm soooooooo glad you're okay... I was very worried about you!

Deanna said...

Thank goodness you are OK. I thought about you a lot the past few days and am relieved that you are well, as are those in your area. Hug everyone a little tighter tonight.

Mary said...

I am so glad you came through the storms okay. We went through some of those while living in Alabama and they are so dangerous.

Connie said...

Denise, I am so sorry I missed this post! I didn't realize you were in the area that got hit and I am so thankful all of you are okay!

Quilt Hollow said...

So glad to see you were lucky!! It was quite the storm and feel horrible for those who loss so much. Mother Nature is not nice!!