Saturday, March 24, 2012

brown paper packages . . .

Well, well, well . . . look what the UPS man brought me yesterday . . . 
Yup.  That thar box has "Moda" packing tape on it.  Yup, yup, yup.  What could it be, you ask?
Let me share.  You see about a month ago I was reading Meg Cox's News From Quilt Journalist Tells All newsletter and she was discussing chain fabric stores versus the local quilt shop and asked readers to submit, in a hundred words or less, a paragraph completing "My quilt shop is the best because . . . "

Well it just so happens I'm lucky enough to have several great LQS in my area, and further blessed to have struck up a lovely friendship with Cindy, the owner of Hooked On Quilting (and Sew Much More) in Fayetteville, Tennessee.  Cindy touched my life in a very thoughtful way not long after my accident, and I've never forgotten that kindness and generosity ... I blogged about it HERE.  Anyway, I knew immediately that I wanted to submit that story.  The only question was, could I keep it to under 100 words?!?  I took me a lot of editing, but this is what I finally submitted.  My quilt shop is the best because:
. . . of the incredibly personalized service that the owner, Cindy, gives.  Hooked on Quilting is situated in Fayetteville, TN and Cindy’s an active member in our Huntsville, Alabama guild.  She takes orders and delivers fabric yardage, notions ... whatever you need ... to customers at guild meetings, saving them the travel mileage.  Best of all she's incredibly thoughtful.  When I had an accident and smashed up my right foot (I couldn't walk, much less work my Janome), she gifted me everything I needed to try my hand at redwork – keeping my hands busy and spirits lifted.  Definitely above and beyond service!
I sent it off to Meg, got a polite response, and didn't think anything more about it.  Until a couple weeks later when I received another e-mail from Meg with "You won the Moda Fabric prize from Meg Cox!!!" in the subject line!  Wow -- out of all her terrific entries, she picked ME!  And do you know what that Moda Fabric prize was?!?!?  LET ME SHOW YOU!!

Here it is ... in all its 'leaning tower of Moda' goodness!!

It was packed full of stuff . . . three great books:
I've especially wanted the The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt book!  Whoohoo!

A double set of Elan scissors.

A fat quarter and fat eighth bundle (and not skimpy bundles, either -- BIG bundles)!

Two charm packs and a cake layer.

This darling little tin with Moda candy bar goodness inside.

This fun Moda canvas pouch . . . 
With more stuff in it, like a rotary blade, a thimble, and a seam ripper.  Plus two MORE pouches!
One with a cloth yard measure.

One with these darling embroidered note cards!

All wrapped up in this darling tin case, which I imagine will someday soon make a terrific case for carrying dinosaurs, legos, blocks, or whatever else little man wants to fill it with.

Ummm . . . tomorrow's stash report day.  Can anyone tell me how much yardage is in a charm pack and a layer cake??  I think I can figure out the bundles.  LOL!

Thank *you* my friends at Moda, Meg Cox, and Cindy at HOQ, too!!

:)

33 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations sweetie!! So excited for you, so awesome. And here is the yardage for pre-cuts:
Jelly Roll strips are 2-1/2 inches so every 10 strips is 2/3 yard (plus an inch). 30 strips is 2 yards plus 3 inches. 40 strips is 2-3/4 yards. 50 strips is 3-1/2 yards.

Honey buns are 1-1/2 inches so 10 strips is just slightly under 1/3 yard. 40 strips are 1-2/3 yards.

Turnovers are 80 (6 inch) triangles and is equal to slightly over 1 yard.

Desert rolls are 10 (5 x 45) strips or just slightly over 1-1/3 yard.

Charms are 5 inches square. 40 charms is equal to 2/3 of a yard.

Layer Cakes are 10 inches square. 40 layer cake square is equal to 2-3/4 yards.

Rachel's Quilts said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see what you make with your new fabric and books.

Kris said...

Wow, Denise - you are one blessed young lady!! That is quite the haul!! And I love all of the Howard Morris Collections. Here's a little info on the Friendship Collection:

Collections for a Cause - Friendship by Howard Marcus - This 1850’s friendship quilt from Philadelphia is the Ninth in a Series of reproduction quilts featuring the Howard Marcus Collection. The series includes antique quilts from across america. This friendship quilt is believed to be a wedding or anniversary quilt. With a cheerful red and cream color palette and fine applique work, this quilt was made with love and friendship for a happy occasion. The center of each block is signed in a beautiful script further indicating the quilter’s desire to create her very finest work. Many of the signatures are from members of the same family. It is our hope that you, too, will create a friendship quilt for the special loved ones in your life. Supporting the Cause…Feeding America “Whose mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.”

Enjoy all your goodies!! Kris

Cathy said...

Oh wow!!!!! Won't you have fun dreaming up projects with all that goodness. I see some sewing in your future...

KOcanQuilt said...

It is so great to finally get to see all the goodies you won! It is all so wonderful. I especially love the tin with the candy bars. That collection of fabrics is one of the ones that is more 'old-fashioned' that I really liked. I know you will find some special things to make with all of that.

Teresa in Music City said...

Well CONGRATULATIONS!!! You certainly deserved to win with that wonderful write-up! And you hit the jack pot too - what a lot of goodies!!! You are going to enjoy that for many months to come :*)

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow oh WOW!! You GO girl!!!

Barbara F. said...

You Lucky lady you! This is a great prize for you to win. Enjoy and create more beautiful things. xo

Cathy said...

WOW< WOW< WOW! What a wonderful win you received! And what a wonderful and thoughtful entry you gave! Congrats! Enjoy and get busy creating!!! ♥♥♥

Janet O. said...

How much quilty fun can be packed in one box?!? That is an incredible package, Denise. Congrats on the win. That ought to keep you busy for a while! : )

Grammasheri said...

What an awesome haul! You hit the jackpot for sure...both with your winnings and your LQS! Congratulations!

(Thank you, Vrooman's, for the very nice yardage calculations for precuts, too!)

Angie said...

That is a wonderful package you received. Congratulations Denise. You'll have to share pics of the things you make with all of that fabric goodness.

Angie said...

That is a wonderful package you received. Congratulations Denise. You'll have to share pics of the things you make with all of that fabric goodness.

Gmama Jane said...

EEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How Wonderful!!! That has to be one of the best prizes ever but then again you did win MY Orange Crush Iron!! You have more luck winning quilty things. What is your strategy girlfriend???? Couldn't happen to a nicer person.
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Quiet Quilter said...

Wow! What a haul! Your mind must be buzzing with ideas...right now just have fun looking, feeling, and rearranging everything....

Kate said...

Wow, great winnings for a wonderful story.

Barbara B said...

Congratulations, you lucky girl! Love those books and all the fabric! Enjoy!

Paula said...

WOW! Again. WOW! You are about the luckiest person I know. Shazam! You sure know how to win them. I am so happy for you. It is a wonderful win. it be exciting to see what you make.
Have a great Sunday.
Hugs

Melissa said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful gift, Cindy is to you and all her customers. Congratulations on your win!I received your sweet letter and will respond soon. I a, a bit swamped right with getting ready for a craft show and taking my painting class.

Michelle said...

Oh, WOW! I am so happy for you!

Editfolt said...

you to be very lucky. beautiful fabrics and gifts.

Editfolt said...

UPS delivers to you how much such a package?

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Oh! I am so excited for you! Yay! Dance! Throw confetti! How fun! Sweetie, you deserve it! Now lets see some of that fabric fly!

Pat said...

Oh, Denise...I am so very happy for you. You are such a kind person and I'm glad to see something this nice happen for you!!! What a super-duper wonderful package!!!

Deanna said...

Fabulous prize for a wonderful person! You are very deserving. Congratulations!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I think in this case God will surely forgive me for being totally jealous! :) blessings, marlene

Dar said...

Just catching up on your win. What a wonderful gift package you received and your write up was heart felt. Have a blast with all your goodies. I've never seen such a nice gift from Moda like that. I'm impressed.

Vivian said...

What a deal! Now, how hard is it going to be to cut into those gorgeous bundles. lol

Mary said...

Lucky Girl! Love al the goodies, you will put them to good use I'm sure. WELCOME to the Farmer's Wife clan. They are especially fun with the Marti Michell Templates.

Jean said...

Holy Smoke-o-licious! That was one seriously awesome package! WOW!!!!!

I've been working on Farmer's Wife. doing it by hand with civil war repros (so not me, but I wanted to keep it in the spirit of the book).

Have fun with all those goodies! Yay for you!!!!!

Connie said...

Wonderful write-up Denise and what a fantastic gift box of goodies!!

Sarah said...

Wow - what a wonderful prize! Can't wait to see what you decide to make first :)

Michelle said...

Wow...what an AWESOME prize! I'm so happy for you! :)