Thursday, March 08, 2012

dinosaurs -- dyn-o-mite . . .

Todd did me the favor of pulling out my tub of  "projects" from the basement.  I was looking for the blocks I'd made in the Patches & Stitches BOM in . . . 2008?  Yes.  Because we did these six blocks the first half of the year, and the blocks that went into the feathered stars (of which I have to complete one for this month's UFO project) through the second half.  That was nice -- two projects in one year.  Both of which are as yes, unfinished.  Haha!  Anyway, he pulled the tub out for me and I pulled out the *perfect* blocks for the dinosaurs.
Aren't these perfect with the dinosaur fabric?  The colors couldn't be better between the two!

Need a closer look? Even the little print in the blocks is animals -- elephants, lizards, lions, and snakes . . . 
With dinosaurs.  Just perfect.

I'd even purchased and set aside with the blocks the fabrics for the offsetting blocks and the fabric for the border.

*And* the instructions!  Go me!

I've cut out the seven dinosaurs I want to use . . . 
I'm going to fuse them to the background blocks and then machine applique them on.
There's only six blocks, but I couldn't choose only six dinosaurs, so I'm pairing the pterodactyl and the triceratops.  They look good together, don't you think?  
Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to use to sash the blocks together--something navy, I'm thinking.  I'm going to use scraps from the original blocks as cornerstones at the sashing intersections.  What a fun piece this will be for my little man!!

And, for my down time, I've got the current issues of Tea Time, Celebration, and Southern Lady to enjoy!  There are some *fun* tea party ideas in all three!  I'll be in tea-party heaven!!
Whoohoo!!!  Oh, and I *did* spend yesterday afternoon with Jocey and Ellie -- but can you believe I left my camera at home?!?  UGH!!

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

No kidding! Perfect setting blocks for your dinosaurs. Serendipity! I love it when that happens!!

Sarah said...

Wow - to a non-blogreader it would appear those blocks were *made* to go with the dino fabric. Perfect match and I know one little boy who is going to be thrilled!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This a match just made! One little boy is going to be thrilled - he might even tip his cap.

c. Joy said...

Great job matching up everything. Lucky you to have a young man to give it to. (That was good planning on someone's part in 2008). I'm getting out my sewing machine today - you make me want to finish a project or two. ;)

Cathy said...

That quilt is going to be PERFECT!!! Don't ya just love it when things fall together so well?

Kelli said...

Denise, that is going to be sooo cute, and no one will ever know that the whole project wasn't originally planned together, the fabrics are just PERFECT!! They look like they were made for each other. What a great gift for your little man!! xo

Quiet Quilter said...

Love it that you are so gung-ho and creative with the dino fabric...it made me dig into my stash for another "kid friendly" fabric to giveaway next time.

Lee said...

How wonderful the blocks and dinos are coming together like that! Great choices!

Rachel's Quilts said...

The blocks and dinosaurs look great together. Sawyer's going to love it.

Connie said...

This is going to be such a cute quilt! That is too bad that you forgot your camera yesterday....but you will still have wonderful memories of her special day!

Momof3girls said...

I can't wait to see the finished quilt. It's so exciting to finish something. I just finished embroidering a t-shirt and a hoodie for an order. I'm so glad I'm finished with these.
Happy Dinosaur Quilting!

Editfolt said...

very nice dinosaurs.
Spring comes slowly. I love flowers!

Teresa in Music City said...

Don't you just love it when something you have put back is the PERFECT thing you are looking for to complete a current project??? Your little man is going to be thrilled with his dinosaurs quilt!!!!

Mary said...

Nice setting and the bonus using up the x-tra blocks! Primary colors are so fun in kids quilts. Sawyer will just love this.

Pat said...

Love all of this!

Pat said...

Love all of this!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Oh, I'm dancing a jig for you! I love it when a project comes to together like that! That border fabric is perfect! Your little man is going to be over the moon! I think you need to pin your camera to your underwear. :)