Monday, January 06, 2014

bunny trails . . .

Y'all . . . do you ever just get caught up in looking through old blog posts . . . of you own??!  I don't care if any other person pays attention to the "You might also like:" gadget at the bottom of each of my posts, but sometimes I am totally captivated by them . . . and can follow them for hours, just enjoying (not so) old pics of grandbabies and memories and quilts that are now UFOs I've completed. It's such fun and is always good for a smile or two!  Bunny trails.  :)

Today's design wall has the last five blocks...the LAST FIVE BLOCKS...of My Orange Crush!  I'm so glad that when I finished piecing each of the center blocks, I went ahead and set them on point and cut out their backs and batting.  Except I was short a piece of batting . . . I'm pretty sure I used it in a doll quilt! Whoops!

I finished the pear blossom design I started yesterday . . .
Yay!  So yesterday evening I got the last five blocks prepared for quilting (once I'd done some emergency scavenging to find proper batting for the fifth block):
Now to figure out which of the stencils I use for each block!  Originally I had thought I'd take these blocks to quilt retreat (in February) as one of my projects, but now I'm hoping/thinking I might be able to take it as my bed quilt!  Wouldn't that be something??!

The other half of my snowflake is also on this week's wall.  I figure if I do one triangle, every other day, I can have this finished and turned into something (wall hanging?  table topper??) before week's end or the next.
What's funny is that this is the only think I'm listing that's actually ON my design wall (window, actually).

And I had to choose which of the GC blocks would be next.  The next unfinished one on the list is Block 12: Little Boy's Breeches.
Hmmm, let's see.  Templates?  Inset seams?  Oh yeah, let's do it!

Today is arctic cold and blustery.  A good day for staying inside.  And sewing. And drinking hot tea.  And watching old movies. I think you get the gist of it!

Linking up to the design wall post at Patchwork Times!

Happy Monday . . . happy bunny trails!

:)

12 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Don't those 5 blocks look yummy sitting there together - like an orangy desert.

beaquilter said...

love that snowflake block, did you design in EQ? I'm curious about hexies fancy like that...

Momof3girls said...

It makes my heart smile that you are posting more now. I have always looked forward to your posts.

I am trying to post more now too, since I'm not as busy as I was. It will get busy again though, so I'm taking full advantage of not being so busy right now.

Orange crush is so pretty!

Janet O. said...

You are a quick quilter to have that Orange Crush block done already (or maybe I just need to face the fact that I am really slow)! It looks great!
I got a chuckle from your "glutton for punishment" attitude on the GC block. : )
Oh, I wish I could come sit and stitch and watch old Movies with you! Have fun and stay warm!!

Lee said...

I like bunny trails...on other people's blogs. I don't see that on my own, is it a gadget to add? BTW, I love the bright, cheeriness of your blog's new look...and the crazy quilt design too!

Cathy said...

Oh yeah, I get it. Isn't retirement great, when you don't have to go out in it unless you want to? I sure think so. Your Orange Crush blocks are great. When you get to it, please show how you are going to put them all together. And your snowflake is gorgeous. I think it should be something that you can use and see all the time, during the winter, at least. It's great to see you back in the blogosphere more often. Missed you.

Mary said...

I'm voting for it to be your Bed quilt at Retreat too. I haven't signed up for any Retreats yet this year. I went to 5 last year...The $$$ probably would have paid for a new sewing machine. I'm trying that NEW logic on DH! Gotta get something since I didn't WIN the APQS Longarm again...

Doniene said...

You are so motivated!! yeah for you - a great inspiration, too!!

Blessings

Sue Daurio said...

those orange blocks look so warm and inviting on a bitter cold day like today. Oh and that snowflake block is amazing!!

Barb in Mi said...

Love your orange crush blocks! And I agree with your Bunny tails and just used it to see your Orange Crush development. Happy quilting!

Kate said...

Your Orange Crush blocks are beautiful! Good luck with finishing up all the quilting.

It is fun to look at old posts, it reminds you of what else was going on at the time.

Ranch Wife said...

I Do like reminiscing by following those same bunny trails. I have even had a couple of books printed from my posts for the kids...or grandchildren...to peruse one of these days. Don't know if they'll ever give a hoot - my life is not exciting, but I love reading biographies and wish I had journals of my ancestors'. And in years to come, when my memory fails me, I may enjoy reading back through them.
I love the background fabric you have chosen for your Orange Crush quilt - it sets your pretty blocks off so perfectly.