Wednesday, January 01, 2014

what a great start . . .

All in all, January 1, 2014 was a pretty terrific day!  I started it by celebrating my final finish of 2013, which was Block 4 - Kansas Sunflower from Grandmother's Choice fame.  I again remember why I skipped it. 
BUT, it's finished now, and I put the final stitches in just minutes before midnight!

This morning I headed out bright and early (well . . . bright and early for New Year's Day, anyway) to meet the gals of my stitcher's group.  We have an annual tradition of meeting up at the local quilt shop, Patches and Stitches, for the annual "everything's 25% or more" sale.
I came away with a modest haul.  Just a little something to get my stash report going for the new year, a new quilting stencil, and a darling little pineapple cross stitch that caught my eye.  I also got some new YLI quilting thread, which managed to escape the photo.  Hmmmph.

From Patches we all headed out to Nothing But Noodles (one of our favorite gathering spots).
I had the Asian Sesame Noodles.  It was quite good!
The photo is an awkward one . . . but since I'm not in it . . . !!!  It's a *marvelous* group of women and I enjoy their company!

After a quick jaunt into the grocery store, I headed home for an afternoon cup of coffee with my hubby. Then I headed into the sewing room!  I worked on my paper pieced snowflake.  I was determined to add two triangles to the existing one . . . 
I finished one and stitched the two together.  Progress.
Then I finished the third!  Whoohoo!  Now I have a whole half!  You know what I can do with a half?
Graphic illusions!!

2026 . . . I have a date to have a whole quilt made from these blocks. Bahahaha!!  (It may be a whole quilt of graphical illusions!)

So I'd say an excellent day.  Bring on the rest of 2014!!

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

Congrats on your finished block--and your illusion of a finished block is wonderful!
Looks like a fun New Year's tradition with your quilting friends.
Only one quilt shop within a 30 minute drive of me was open today (for 3 whole hours)--and they were having a sale. I had planned on going, but got lazy and stayed home watching football with DH and sons (who had spent the night with us). I did get a little stitching done, though.
I will mark 2026 on my calender for the big reveal!! *LOL*

Melissa Bishop said...

Hang in there. Everything is looking great! Sigh, I miss Asian food.
Hugs!

Mary said...

LOL on the 2026 Date! I hope I get all of my quilts quilted by that date then. Looks like a FUN Tradition. I don't NEED any more Fabrics so I stayed home and played with my scraps and took a Nap, after going to our annual Crowther Family New Years Day party! The late night Celtic Solstice REVEAL kept me up too long into the WEE hours. I had to make a couple blocks to post on FB.

Mad about Craft said...

Lovely blocks!

Happy New Year!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

How blessed you are to be a part of a stitcher's group. I'd love to find a group like that here. Love that illusion! 2026 will be here before we know it! ha!

Helen said...

Looks like 2014 is going to be a Great year if this is how you started it off. Friends, Food and Fiber--Life Is Good!

Missy Shay said...

I just love those snowflakes!

Cathy said...

That snowflake, is gorgeous. Keep on at it, and you'll get it done, and it will be worth the time it takes. ISn't it great to do what you love to begin the year.!

Melissa Labella said...

Love the graphic illusion! I need to play with the computer more, I actually visited my blog today and was mortified at the layout, words on top of things, etc. Maybe your abilities will rub off on me :0) Happy 2014, I enjoyed kicking it off with the girls yesterday too! xo

Michelle said...

haha...that's funny with your snowflake block, but the "half" is gorgeous! Sounds like a fun day out with your quilting buddies!

Kate said...

Kansas Sunflower turned out great and your snowflake is looking great. You went from summer to winter in day in your sewing room. How fun is that?

Quilter Kathy said...

I loved that GC block... it was challenging but so pretty! Many blessings to you in 2014... can't wait to see what you're up to!

LuAnn said...

What a fun New Years tradition. Looks like everyone had a good time. Happy new year to you!