Thursday, January 02, 2014

ch-ch-ch-changes . . .

Oh yeah, the blog 'look' for sure.  It seemed to be time for a bit of a perk-up! And since this will be the year of crazy quilting . . . or perhaps more succinctly . . . quilting crazily (!!!) . . . the new header seemed appropriate.  And yellow and purple have long been a favorite combination of mine.  :)

I haven't talked about resolutions or goals or a word for 2014.  I've been reading a book by Josh Hunt called, Break a Habit; Make a Habit ($2.99 on kindle right now).  
It's a fascinating read.  One of the statements he makes early in the book is that instead of making a list of changes you're going to make, pick ONE habit you need to make or break and focus on that ONE goal.  He further writes and has the research to back it up) that not only are you more likely to succeed, but that other areas of your life will fall into line as well.  

I see the wisdom in this line of thinking but my problem is this:  which ONE habit do I want to tackle?!?! LOL!  I could easily write out a list of changes I want to make and disciplines I want to master . . . but which ONE is worthy of *all* my focus and attention?!  Heh.  Really . . . honestly and truthfully . . . I know what it should be.  I just have to decide if that's what I WANT it to be.  :) 

I have decided that in my quilting life, I also want to make a change.  I want to be diligent to spend at least 15 minutes a day in the sewing bunkroom.  Kate, over at Life In Pieces, has challenged herself in this very manner for the last three years.  She's even done a weekly linky party for others.  I've never participated before (and I believe she's decided to discontinue it in 2014), but I do want to make that commitment. Fifteen minutes daily -- either piecing or constructing or quilting -- *some* tangible aspect of quilting. Whether or not I'll post my results, I haven't decided.  Only to press towards the goal.  :)

Tonight I'm sitting in front of the computer watching the introductory and month one videos for The Quilt Show's new BOM, A - Z for Ewe and Me.  
Isn't it a really cute quilt?!  I'm not ready to start it right this minute, but I am saving the steps for later (who knows when).

While I watch, I'm playing with My Orange Crush.  
I still have eight blocks that need to be quilted before I can assemble it.  This quilt WILL be done before the year's end.  Now *that's* resolve.  I've put it out there . . . so y'all can call me on it!

I also picked my GC next block to work.  Number 11 -- Little Red Schoolhouse.
I think I skipped this one because of the templates.  It doesn't look too terribly difficult.  Perhaps I'll have this one finished before the end of the weekend!

And so . . . kick off in the Alabama vs. Oklahoma game just started. Guess it's time to change focus-it promises to be a good game!!  Roll Tide!!

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Cathy said...

I've seen that alphabet quilt a couple of places now, and while it's really cute, I will resist!! I have a list, and I'm gonna stick to it!! LOL!It is a great thing to have goals, the hard part is sticking to them. And I like the new blog look... yellow and purple make me think of spring and pansies and easter.

Janet O. said...

I'm curious to know what habit you are thinking of making or breaking.
Love that BOM!
You can accomplish a lot in 15 minutes every day! I hope it works for you, my friend!!

Teresa in Music City said...

Sounds like a very sound piece of advice! I am choosing to SIMPLIFY this year - and it makes sense to me to even "simplify" the changes I want to make. To choose the #1 things that is paramount and focus on changing that - and yes, I think most other things would fall in line. Interesting..... And it's funny, because I was just thinking earlier today that I need to commit to spending at least a little time each day in the sewing room LOL!!! We are too much alike my friend - but I'm thinking maybe that is not such a bad thing, right? :*)

Barbara said...

The blog is looking good!

Mary said...

I am starting this BOM as you saw on my BLOG yesterday. I'm looking at it and wondering why the J has a Lamb??? I think I'll swap it for the L block's Log cabin. I dislike making those, you know. I can find a J Block easy to replace it.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love the new look! blessings, marlene

Lyndsey said...

The blog is looking great, very vibrant and fresh. I must finish the last few of the GC blocks. I left a lot because they looked too difficult but I've found that if I take it slowly they make up fine.

Jean(ie) said...

Sorry your team lost. :-(
Love the blog header!

Like I've been saying, my goal is to work my stash. Hope you're staying warm. I was peeking at the weather out your way yesterday and it looks like y'all are due for a cold spell.

Good excuse to put on wolly socks and stitch!

sew.darn.quilt said...

Your new header looks fabulous!

Momof3girls said...

I've been following Flylady on Flylady.net and have pretty much got a routine going for housework and laundry. I ordered Flylady's timer and am committing myself to 15 minutes a day to work on my quilt. A lot can be done in 15 minutes if we set a timer and do nothing else but the task at hand. I won't hold you to finishing the quilt, because a lot can happen in a year, but I know you will do your best to get it finished.
Happy New Year!
Happy Sewing & Quilting!

Melissa Bishop said...

I have been reading a lot lately about systems instead of goals. (ok, really 2 articles but if a topic comes up 2x in the same week in my small social media circle it's big for me) Instead of setting a goal of sewing a quilt, you put in place a system of sewing for 15 minutes a day. Better results are to be anticipated. I need to do this with my painting. A certain amount of time in my 'studio' each day no matter what is going on. Since mornings are the quietest, before everything has a chance to turn to chaos, I think will be my time for this.
Good luck with your new sewing system. Let me know how it's going.

Melissa Bishop said...

p.s., love the new header.

Kate said...

I do like your new "look". Hard to go wrong with purple and yellow, it's a favorite combination of mine too.

Good luck with your personal 15 minute challenge. It's amazing how much you can get done even in just 15 minutes a day. Though to be honest, but problem for me is just getting to the sewing room. Once I'm there, getting in 15 minutes usually isn't an issue. I won't be hosting a linky party, but I am continuing my personal 15 minute challenge as it's been something that really works for me. Hope it works for you too.