Wednesday, January 08, 2014

trucking along . . .

I'm getting more and more excited . . . to the point where I'm not sure I can work on anything else, I'm so excited about getting My Orange Crush finally finished!!

Yesterday I took advantage of Ellie's nap time, our Stitchers' group, and Todd wanting to play 'one more game' after I got home last night, to get these two blocks quilted:
Those are blocks 13 and 14.  THIRTEEN AND FOURTEEN!!!!!

And I also got these two blocks marked and ready:
Y'all . . . these are the LAST TWO BLOCKS!  Haha!  I feel like I'm gaining big momentum!  Once I've finished all my hand-quilting, I'll square all of the blocks up and start working on attaching them.

Several folks have asked about that process and so I thought I'd do an explanatory post when I get to that point.  It's very simple and once you see it, you'll understand why this is such a great method for me to put a large-ish quilt together in my small working space.

Ellie and I had such a fun day together - I do love my Ellie days!
I'd gotten The Jungle Book for Christmas (yes, I asked for it) and so we watched it together.  It was certainly too cold to go outside!  She was totally captivated by it and so we spent the afternoon singing the song 'Bare (Bear?!) Necessities'!

Yep, it's cold.  This is only the second time since we've lived at the camp that I've seen the ponds freeze.
Of course, it's certainly not ready for ice skating (and never will be), but it's pretty to see.  We started the week sub-zero and we'll end the week in the high sixties.  Bizarre, isn't it?  Winter in Alabama!

Stay warm!

:)

16 noted . . .:

Lee said...

I'm excited to see your Orange Crush progress and look forward to seeing the finished product and "how to". Ellie is so adorably, what a sweet smiley face :) I'm thinking, from my part of the country, I should tell YOU to stay warm... sub-zero? in Alabama? I think hot & humid when I hear Alabama, shows I've never been there, lol!

sew.darn.quilt said...

It's looking yummy! Your slightly frozen pond is very pretty, right now I'd take that over our -46 temperature this morning!

Melissa Bishop said...

Oh my goodness. Who's a big girl?! Someone went through a big growth spurt. Your blocks are looking great. I'm so excited to see the finished product.

Jean(ie) said...

Yippeee! Something to cross off the list soon! Good for you. I can't wait to see your finished piece.

Mary said...

YES, I understand that you live in an RV and don't have room to quilt a big quilt. The hand quilting and QAYG is a method I hope never to do. I am spoiled by having used a Longarm even. Love seeing those cute dimples on ELLIE. She loves her nana time too, I'm sure.

Cathy said...

Wow!! You are making fabulous progress on your orange Crush. You're just whipping them out! (sorry, couldn't resist the "whip it") Ellie is just the sweetest, and that dimple is enough to melt the heart of any grinch around.

Needled Mom said...

Those blocks look wonderful.

It is such fun to have the little ones around. They light up our lives.

Janet O. said...

Orange Crush is nearing the finish line--YaHoo!!
I LOVE The Jungle Book--great movie! I can still sing the entire "Bare Necessities" song from memory. : )

Katherines Corner said...

Ellie days are surely the best days. Thank you so much for helping to make the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop so much fun Hugs!

Marsha Hodgkins said...

Very exciting time for you. I can't wait to see the completed project.
It's above freezing here in SOUTH Alabama this morning but still not the temps we come here for.

Brisk...off to do some shop hopping today!
Happy Stitching!
Marsha
Quilterinmotion

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

You are an inspiration and so creative. Thanks for sharing on the blog hop...have a great weekend!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh her dimples..
She stole the show on this post :)

Marsha Hodgkins said...

Very exciting time for you. I can't wait to see the completed project.
It's above freezing here in SOUTH Alabama this morning but still not the temps we come here for.

Brisk...off to do some shop hopping today!
Happy Stitching!
Marsha
Quilterinmotion

Kate said...

You've definitely got the momentum going on Orange Crush.

We had the subzero temps early in the week followed by temps in the high 50's yesterday. Though I'm not complaining. I much prefer the 50's!

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

I was attracted to your blog by your quilting, what beautiful work you do. After scrolling down and seeing Ellie with the cute dimples I hung around for a big.

I would love to have you to link up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-68-with-two.html


I hope you can make it!
Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I LOVE the Jungle Book! My grown kids still sing all the songs. 'Hey, whadya want to do?, I don't know, whadya want to do? Now, don't start that again!'