Friday, January 24, 2014

two winners and a tribute . . .

The first would be Nann of With Strings Attached.  She had responded to my question about taking on a new skill with:
I'd love to be in the contest! New skill? Our guild's next workshop is with a local shop owner who is a certified Square in a Square instructor. For years I thought the SIS ruler was more work than it was worth, but this instructor did a trunk show for the guild a couple of months ago. Wow! Great design ideas. So the SIS ruler will be my next new skill.
And the number generator at random.org picked her!  Congratulations, Nann!  I'll be sending the Traveling Stash Box #5 her way, as soon as I hear back from her. And hey, if you're sad because you didn't win it? Lookie, lookie . . .
Yup.  I also won Traveling Stash Box #1!  I'll be posting the delightful contents of this big ol' box tomorrow with another chance for someone lucky!!

The second winner?  That would be . . .
ME!  Yay!!  I finally put in the last stitch and ran it through the washer!  I have to share, though, this poor needle.  I'd used it for assembling the blocks into rows, the rows into blocks, and stitching down the binding. But it just couldn't handle the pressure of the last 18 inches . . .
It *snapped* in half by my *fingers*!!!  CRAZY!  But I finished my sweet My Orange Crush, and Todd and I have even snuggled under it already . . . 
*Happy finished quilt sigh!*

I have three younger sisters and though we're spread out from Texas to Alabama to Virginia to New Jersey, we are very close and I count them as my dearest friends.  The four of us keep an ongoing text conversation going and I love that one (or all) of them is always just an iMessage away!

Of course, when one of us hurts, all of us hurt ... and so this Feline Friday is a tribute to Malachi, the sweet fur-baby of my beautiful sister Cynthia.  Malachi passed away this week leaving a definite empty spot.
He was a handsome, dapper fella in his mustache and tuxedo.
Her snuggle buddy.
I love that Malachi had a perpetually surprised look on his sweet face!  He reminds me so much of my own Gwenevere in this shot:
He was a good, loving and sweet cat who will be much missed.
Rest in peace, sweet Malachi!

:)

14 noted . . .:

Needled Mom said...

I'll bet the snuggles under Orange Crush were extra sweet.

So sorry to hear about your sister's cat. It is always so hard to loose a trusted friend like that.

Missy Shay said...

I am so sorry about Malachi's passing!

Melissa Bishop said...

What a sweet baby. I'm so sorry for your sister's loss.
Have you ever had a needle break before? So glad it didn't go through your hand.
Your orange crush turned out so beautiful. Truly a treasure!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh, it breaks my heart to hear about Malachi!!!! It is truly devastating to lose such a good friend and family member.

sew.darn.quilt said...

My heart goes out to your sister.

Your Orange Crush Quilt is definitely one to swoon over(and under)! It's a beauty.

Lee said...

You've created a lovely quilt and kudos for a "finish", broken needle and all.

Pet losses certainly do leave a hole, he was a pretty kitty.

Janet O. said...

Oh, Denise--the needle gave its all!
Congrats on an exciting finish! Feels so good, doesn't it?
Condolences to your sister!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations on your finish - and so sad to lose a loved one.

Doniene said...

Congrats to Nann!!! The Orange Crush is fabulous!! Gonna watch the Super Bowl - I'm a Denver fan and years ago their D was called the Orange Crush!! Happy snuggle time!!

Always sad to loose a pet - hugs to your sis!!

Blessings and hugs!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yea on your finish. Sorry about your sister's cat. I fully understand. Our pets just warm our hearts, and leave a big hole when they leave us.

Jean(ie) said...

tuxie boy kitties are the sweetest. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Yay! a chance for another box!!!!

Sarah said...

At least the needle didn't give up the ghost IN your finger which is how I mis-read it the first time thru!

I'm so sorry for your sister and Malachi. It sounds like he was comfy until the end. I'm sure he will be missed by his family.

Michelle said...

Awww...so sorry to hear about your sister's cat. I know how much of a part of the family they are. :( Congratulations on your quilt finish...it's gorgeous!

Kate said...

So sorry to hear about your sister's loss, it's hard to lose a snuggle buddy.

Congrats on the finish!