Saturday, November 17, 2012

an odd conglomeration . . .

I'll start with hexies ... because I *thought* I was going to have a marvelous post with a finished hexie project, all ready for Sarah Did It! and her monthly HeLP for Hexie-aholics linky party.

I thought wrong.

I had high hopes of finishing up my little mini-hexi quilt . . . but I've only gotten as far as quilting the hexies.  I like the angle of this shot because the quilting makes the little hexie flowers dimensional.
I still need to quilt the border and bind it.  Hopefully I *will* finish it this weekend.  

So then I thought perhaps I'd pull a hexie project out of one of the Miniature Quilts magazines I lucked upon.  Do you know, out of all SEVEN of those magazines, there was only ONE hexie quilt project?  And that one was a cover feature (which Sarah noted and pointed out right away, from yesterday's picture -- LOL!).
It is cute.  Petit Noel.  (See it?  Down there in the bottom left corner, in the above pic.)
I love the instructions in this magazine.  And how there's no need for bulky pull out sections with tons of patterns on them.
Because the patterns are all so small, they fit on the pages!  Look at the "full-size quilting diagrams" up there in the top right of this photo!  

Anyway, that's all the hexie-moxie I've got this morning.  But I know Sarah's got a really cool hexie project up -- so definitely head over there and check it out!!

But wait ... there's more!  LOL!  I just like saying that (although there really is more I want to share).

Look what my favorite daughter-in-law in the whole world gifted me with . . . 
I *love* this stuff ... and now it's sugar-free!!!  Whoohoo!  Talk about kicking your holiday season off right!  :)

Todd and I had a blast last night.  We went to dinner at Logan's and both had steaks.  From there we headed to the Von Braun Center's Playhouse (at Huntsville's Civic Center) and to our very good seats.  
The adaptation from screen to stage was handled very well and required very little set changing (which is nice, because that can be really distracting).
The cast was marvelous and did a great job.  The actor who played George Bailey did a marvelous job, as did the fellows who played Clarence and Mr. Potter, respectively.  
It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed getting to shake hands with the performers after the show and telling them how great it was.  One of the benefits of local theater!

While we were soaking in culture at the theater, the kids were taking their kids through the Galaxy of Lights ... the walking tour.  I'd love to do that some day -- not quite up to it yet, though.  This year I'll settle for the driving tour!
This is going to be a magical year for Sawyer.  Look at his precious, sweet little face!!  He's totally captivated by the lights -- I love it!!  (June is in there -- she's snoozing in the back of the stroller!)
And I *adore* this picture of him with Santa!!  They didn't think he'd like Santa, but I knew he would.  He was so excited to tell Santa that he wanted a Buzz Lightyear!

Ellie, on the other hand, did not care for Santa very much . . . 
But this picture is totally precious, all the same.  I love the look on their respective faces!  A priceless capture, to be sure!
She was happier with the glow and twinkle of the lights.  And being surrounded by mommy and daddy was better, too!

I captured a lovely sight outside my sewing window . . .
Yesterday morning.  There were six or seven deer -- I know it's hard to see them -- they are well camouflaged (which, since gun season started this morning, probably works to their benefit!).   Can you see the doe laying down?  They were just passing the time, eating an acorn or two, nibbling on grass.  Can't beat a view like that!

One of the Traveling Stash boxes is up for grabs at Squares Around the Quilt.  There are some fun additions to it -- definitely worth checking out!!

Busy day today -- shopping for tonight (youth bonfire), tomorrow morning (our turn for breakfast at church again), the weekly groceries *and* Thanksgiving dinner!  Whew!  What's on your plate?

Have a *lovely* Saturday!!

:)

11 noted . . .:

~Niki~ said...

very nice! i remember now about that peppermint mocha. thanks!

Missy Shay said...

That hexie project is perfect for the upcoming holiday! It looks like a snowflake, I think I would make it in blue and white!

Karin said...

What a fun evening you two had! I adore It's a Wonderful Life and what a treat to get to see it on the stage! And just look at Sawyer's eyes! He's at the perfect age to really take in all of the Christmas magic! While you're out shopping, I think you need to find a bigger plate! :)

Mary said...

I like that Hexie Project in two colors! The pics are priceless. Too early for Santa visits... I should be cleaning for company, but might show up to sew a bit at the Guild Sew-in. My UFO hasn't been touched this month.

Janet O. said...

Such fun holiday photos, Denise. Makes me want to break out the Christmas music and movies (though the local radio station is all Christmas all the time starting the day after Halloween through Christmas Day).
Especially love the photos with Santa!

Carin said...

Ohhh I love your halloween hexies !!!

Barb N said...

Love the picture of Ellie with Santa - so very typical of kids that age when they are face-to-face with a very strange looking man who HoHoHo's a lot! Have a good weekend.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great post! I'll keep my eyes peeled for that new Coffee Mate!
LOVE the Santa photos...so adorable and precious moments!
I really miss Miniature QUilts magazine... I don't think I've seen that issue. Fun hexie project! Look forward to seeing how you make out with it.

Kate said...

Love your hexie project! It's looking gorgeous.

With DT being a teenager, I miss all the visits with Santa, though she still likes the Christmas lights. Looks like Sawyer is going to have a wonderous Christmas season

Teresa in Music City said...

Yum! Hope you enjoy your Peppermint Mocha! It sounds delicious! I have a few of those Miniature Quilts magazines and I love them! I've made a few - or started them anyway :*) That Noel hexie would be lovely as a Christmas quilt!

So glad you enjoyed the play! Hubby and I love to go out to local theater - such a treat!!! And it looks like the kiddos had fun getting warmed up for the holiday season with all the lights! I absolutely LOVE the picture of Sawyer with Santa - the look on his face is priceless!!!

Sarah said...

Hah - I just noticed that hexie quilt is listed as challenging. I completely forgot to look up my list of mini-mags over the weekend. I wonder if I have this one - mind telling me which edition it is? The play looks great - we are a little too small townish to have plays more than once a year at the schools so I don't get to see them as often as I used to. Oh well!