Wednesday, November 14, 2012

the art of fondling fabric . . .

I'll just admit it right now.  I take great pleasure in picking titles for my posts. Perhaps it's the journalism major in me.  I dunno ... it's just fun!

As I mentioned yesterday, Ellie joined Jocelyn and I on her first trip to Hooked on Quilting.  I wish I'd thought to pull out my camera, but I was sitting on the floor with Ellie, surrounded by assorted bolts of blends, Christmas pretties, and batiks . . . teaching Ellie to pet and stroke the fabric.  She got quite good at it, too!  Before we left she'd even held up some minky to her face...that's my girl!  Here's what I ended up coming home with . . . 
Aren't they all pretty?  The orange houndstooth is for June's Thanksgiving dress. The yellow sparkly is just because it was *so* pretty, and aren't the Christmas prints just *darling*?!  And all at GREAT prices, too.  Nothing was more than $9.25 a yard ... and I get a 10% discount for being a guild member.  Nice!

And what could be better than bringing home such pretty fabrics?  Bringing home *more* pretty fabrics that I didn't pay for and aren't part of my stash . . . 
These are Jocelyn's picks.  Mind you, she went to get fabric for stockings.  That would be the two at the bottom of the picture.

These two are for a special Christmas dress for Ellie . . .

And these two are for a special tunic top and pants set for Ellie . . . 
Isn't this line darling?  It's from the Anna Griffin Pinelope collection.  Fun stuff!  I'm sure you can guess why it came home with me.  (Happily!)

Aside from shopping, I also finished up my stitching to my mini hexies . . . 
Today I'll try and get it bordered with this orange, and then get it quilted before the weekend.  I was going to bind it in a darker purple, but changed my mind when Todd said, "That's an awful lot of purple."  Can there really be such a thing as too much purple?  I'm thinking perhaps I'll bind it in black, instead.

And I finished the 'ring of fire' around Mr. Owlie and have now started on the outside ring.
Yay!  I really like having handwork 'handy'.  One of my youth girls had her first basketball game of the season last night, so Todd was kind enough to take me, so we could cheer her on.  I finished up the mini on the drive up and worked on Mr. Owlie on the ride back.  :)

And special mail yesterday!  Look what arrived . . . 
YAY!!!  My copy of Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks!!  I won this copy from Mary, over at Quiltin' Grandma's Blog.  She even signed it for me -- her quilt from her tester blocks!  And along with a very sweet note, she sent me a blank quilty note card ... and I have such an affinity for note cards! 
So kind -- thank you, Mary!

Today ... I'm not sure.  I hope to have a productive day with lots to share tomorrow.  Definitely!  OH!  And I did have a winner from the book giveaway of Harvest of Rubies!  Cathy of Eagles' Wings Quilts!  Congratulations, Cathy!!!

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Agnes B Bullock said...

What a great grandmother you are- starting her off early! Ellie has to learn to appreciate good fabric and color choices- the horror of what could happen without this necessary training is just too awful to contemplate! Now you just have to bring June next time!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Nothing like starting your granddaughter early Denise!! And congrats on winning a copy of 100 Blocks. I have several of the older issues. They are fun to look through and dream about.

Needled Mom said...

What wonderful fabrics!!! You will be having some sewing fun there.

Melissa Bishop said...

There are so many fabric choices out there it boggles the mind. I too am a journalism major. I did not get my degree in it. I took all the classes but one! lol Looking forward to seeing what you make with all your, 'pretties'.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I always encourage newbies to go pet fabric. There is a 'feel' to every fabric company and fabric line and fabric designer. Enjoy your day.

Janet O. said...

I love your title--and would loved to have seen Ellie in training with you on the floor of the fabric store! : )
Okay, black binding works, too, but I want to know what is wrong with a lot of purple?
Mr. Owl looks warm and cozy in his ring of fire.
You got some lovely fabrics to brighten up the holidays. Somebody's machine is going to be humming!

Cathy said...

I think maybe the only thing better than making quilts for little girls, is sewing fun pretty clothes for little girls. Boys are wonderful and fun, but making clothes for them isn't quite so much. Thanks for the give away win. I read one of her books over the weekend and enjoyed it a lot.

Barbara said...

Gorgeous fabrics. i love those polka dots for Ellie's dress. I want some!

Missy Shay said...

I love the fabrics, but think I agree with you on binding it in purple, go for it!

Sarah said...

Lots and lots of very pretty fabrics! You certainly have your to do list filled for the next week or so making holiday outfits :)

Teresa in Music City said...

You do us grandmothers proud Denise!!! Love those fabrics you two brought home! I have some of that green tree fabric - love it! And the gold/silver fabrics - YUM!!!

Mary said...

I'm sure you took a Mental picture and there will be another time to catch that Fondling of fabric pose. NOPE, Never Too much Purple! At least for me. The only thing that would have made my quilt better in the magazine would have been to have used some or a LOT of Purple. Thanks for the shout out!

Barbara F. said...

Great fabric you and Jocelyn chose. Can't wait to see these adorable outfits for those adorable kids! xo

Carin said...

I love your fabrics and those hexies are wonderful !!

Jean(ie) said...

Fondling fabric... You know it, baby!