Friday, November 23, 2012

forget black friday . . .

I've always understood that the "black" in Black Friday referred to the idea of retailers getting their accounting books "back in the black", or making a profit . . . but I've never liked the sound of it.  It sounds gloomy and with a single exception (three years ago, when I packed a hand stitching project and then chauffeured Joc and Kim around from store to store, so they could be dropped off right at the door and didn't have to worry about parking), it's not a tradition I participate in.  So today will be no different!  Christmas movies nonstop through the day, turkey soup on the stove, some minimal cleanup and play in the sewing bunk room, and lots and lots of leftovers!!

Yesterday was a beautiful day for an outdoor dinner ... with the fire in the fire place, of course!
The table setting was simple ... a pine cone and ribbon turkey and a tray of nature's offerings.  And a fun paper tablecloth begging for a two-and-a-half year old and crayons!

I knew right from the beginning that I wanted to be able to put a turkey drum stick on Sawyer's plate -- I was *thrilled* when he pointed to it on the buffet table and told his mama he wanted that one!
So for me, this is the money shot!
And this one ... this is a pumpkin pie and whipped cream happy face!

Of course, June was darlingly dressed for the day (if I do say so myself) . . .
I had a little time Wednesday and patterned a little "first Thanksgiving" dress for her.
Isn't it cute?!  Such fun!  I had my picture taken with Ellie ... but Jason's got those pics.  I'll share when I get them!

This fellow also called to me on Wednesday (because I didn't have enough I needed to be doing):
He was *such* fun!  And very easy and fast.  And the top hat was a definite improvement over the sample model I saw in the store (shown here).  He's not finished ... everything needs to be glued down, but the hard parts are done.  He'll be hanging on my door very soon!

The Holiday Lane Pillow blog hop is in FULL swing!!  Have you checked out the offerings so far? They're *so* darling!!  Here's today's lineup:


And for today's Feline Friday, instead of an actual cat, how about a stitchery cat?  Have you ever visited Hudson's Holidays - Shirley Hudson?  She is very talented and shares her stitchery patterns on a very regular basis.  She has some of the most darling cat stitcheries I've seen and she offers quite a few of them freely.  This one, for example . . .
Isn't it oh-what-fun!?  You can find him (?!) on her blog, HERE!  Doing a quick search on her blog will net you a score of cat stitcheries ... and while she offers lots more than cats, cats are what Fridays are about!  Be sure to check out Sarah Did It! to see what other felines are making the blogs today!

I'm outta here ... time to pop a Christmas DVD in the player ... which one will it be?!

:)

13 noted . . .:

Kate said...

Love the pictures of Sawyer! He's such a cute character.

Enjoy your sewing time. We don't do black Friday either, but are looking for some other family adventure for today.

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like a perfect way to celebrate Black Friday to me.

Love the sweet pictures of the little ones and the Thanksgiving dress is darling.

Barbara F. said...

I need a full day to relax after Thanksgiving, not shop! That was for my younger, much more high energy days, and when I was working, so a day off was an extra special treat! I have plenty of time, just very little inclination. :( xo

beaquilter said...

what a cute turkey dress! wish I had thought of that for my daughter :-) at least she was wearing brown.... I'm staying home and sewing

Missy Shay said...

What a darling dress!

Michelle said...

I'm with you...no black Friday shopping for me. Or the day after Christmas either! LOL Sweet pictures of the grandbabies! Thanks for sharing!

Cathy said...

What a lovely day you had yesterday, and such a cute dress for June. I can't get over the fact that it is the middle of November and you are all sitting and eating outside with no coats or sweaters!! As fot the Christmas movie...... my choice would be White Christmas and then the Muppets version of The Christmas Carol, with Michael Caine as Scrooge. It is the best of all the versions I've seen.

Michelle said...

I'd be shopping, but it sounds like all of the good sales were last night. Might work for others, but getting to the stores at 8pm would mean having someone actually watching my kids (the usual tradition is to slip out, shop and be back home before Hubby and the kids are even out of bed!)

Agnes B Bullock said...

OK, you have to share- what are you doing? There is NO WAY that you are old enough to be a mother, let alone a grandmother! Spill the beans!

Janet O. said...

Thanksgiving looks wonderful. Love tyhe setting!
But how did you "have a little time" on Wednesday to whip up that dress?!? It is terribly cute, and so is the snowman! : )

Jean(ie) said...

I love the pic of Sawyer with the drumstick. I would have picked that out for him, too! He's such the cutie!

Mary said...

Next year Sawyer might have to share that drumstick with his cousin Ellie.
CUTE Pumpkin pie face too. Glad you could have a good Thanksgiving. I did very little Black Friday Shopping today. It was nice to NOT be out in the wee morning hours. Nothing I needed or wanted THAT bad!

Sarah said...

Her stitcheries are just adorable...did you see her cat head pin cushion? The pins are the whiskars. How do people come up with these ideas?! Looks like y'all had a great Holiday!