Monday, November 26, 2012

hippity-hop down holiday lane . . .

When I first saw the call out for participants in the Holiday Lane Pillow hop, I *knew* I wanted in! 
The pillow, created by Jill of Jillily Studio, was *absolutely* darling and I couldn't wait to make one for myself!  

I already had fabrics in mind *and* on hand . . . 
I love this line of Mary Engelbreit's from Moda . . . I knew it would be perfect!

There was only one problem.  It's a pretty long pillow.  And I have exactly one couch in the RV.  
And it's a love seat.   I don't really have the need for a 30" pillow!  But ... it was SO cute!

So then, to paraphrase the narrator from The Grinch, I got an idea. An awful awesome idea. I got a wonderful, *awful* *awesome* idea! 

I cut out my houses, stitched them together, and embellished them.  Then I cut a 108" X 2.5" strip of white fabric, and stitched it around the entire perimeter of my Holiday Lane houses.  Next, with a little help from some trusty tools and a nice sized sheet of poly foam . . .
I cut out my little houses from foam and form-filled my pillow!  
And while I didn't really need a 30" pillow on my love seat, how cute is this little row of houses sitting up in the window?!? (Especially in the dark, with the flash showing up like a moon in the night's sky!) And, as an added bonus, my nifty, pretty pillow will help keep the draft of the window from hitting the back of my neck!

I decorated all my little trees . . . 


They kind of look like the trees in Whoville, huh?  And my snowman?  He's wrapped up warmly in his jaunty red scarf!
I particularly enjoyed my candle-lit windows!

So that's my out-of-the-pillow experience!  
Thanks for dropping by and checking out my fun little project -- and it *was* fun!! Jill has graciously provided the pattern for free!!  Which means you can try it out, too!!  Just check out her shop . . . right HERE!  Thanks, Jill!!

And a HUGE thank you and lots of hugs to Pauline, of Quilt--n--Queen, who was a *fabulous* cheerleader and organizer, and of course, to Mdm Samm, who comes up with all these marvelous ideas and is so generous to share her time and talent with us all!

Be sure to check out the rest of today's participants, too!

Count it *all* JOY!! (you are here!)


Have a lovely Tuesday . . . I know I sure will!

:)

81 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

Oh, Denise, I really like what you have done here! Very cute--love the attention to detail, especially the candles in the windows. Such a clever conversion to a draft blocker!

Judy B said...

What a clever idea, and I love your decorations! Way to go. Thank you for sharing.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, how clever you are! Yes, that is a large pillow - love how you made a dimensional draft block, just perfect for the season.

Lee D said...

You out did yourself again. I bet your grandson is going to like it too

evelyn said...

What a great imagination. So clever. I love it.

Sunshine Girl said...

What a good idea and it does look fabulous next your window doesnt it. I like all of the materials you have used.

Sunshine Girl said...

What a good idea and it does look fabulous next your window doesnt it. I like all of the materials you have used.

Grammasheri said...

A perfect solution, Denise! I love the houses sitting up on the back of your couch. What an ingenious idea!

Nati said...

It is fantastic, thanks for sharing it!

Britt-Inger said...

Such a good idea with the houses sitting up on the back of your coach. Thanks for sharing

Theresa said...

Very cute, what a clever idea - love the little candle in the window.

charlotte said...

What a really cute idea. I love it!

thethimbleroom said...

Wow. What a GREAT idea! Love the ME fabrics you used as well. )

Jeanie said...

I really like your 3D houses.... what a wonderful way to use the pattern!

Thearica said...

Now THAT is thinking outside the box! Clever my dear, very clever!

gpc said...

I love your creativity! Turned out great!

Madame Samm said...

You know this is a great idea....a door stopper, a wind breaker....you are sew darn clever...I like it a lot...

Martina said...

Just absolutely great! Love your idea and how it turned out!

Doniene said...

Denise, I love, love, love your little pillow "village"!! What a perfect addition to the RV!!!! (or anywhere for that matter!) and the fabrics are scrumptious!! I in particular love the trees - just like Whoville!!

Blessings!

Rosa said...

Wow,great idea .You are very creative and it`s absolutely wonderful!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

fantastic idea!! love it

Kate said...

Brilliant idea!

MooseStash Quilting said...

What a great idea. Just how much fun would it be to make it for a mantle too. (with a string of lights) Oh the ideas! :-)

Mama Spark said...

I LOVE the rickracky (is that a word) fabric you chose for some of the houses. GREAT!!

Mommarock said...

Make it work! That's what they say on Project Runway.. one of my favorite shows LOL. You did a great job!

pinsandneedles said...

What a clever idea! I love the tree with the pearl adornments! Thanks for sharing!

Missy Shay said...

What a great idea! I need to make some draft dodgers for my windows, I usually just shove towels and sheets in the window sills!

JCnNC said...

So thinking outside the box and this is over the top - I love your silhouette (sp) Thanks for sharing. Judy C

Linda said...

What a brilliant idea! Your little village is perfect for an RV! Pretty too!

Carrie P. said...

Now that is a really cute idea. thanks for sharing.

sew.darn.quilt said...

You clever girl! Your street is so adorable and innovative! Brilliant!! :)

Asiyah said...

Well, look at you! That's very cute...I love it!

JanesQuilting said...

Oh, I like your little Whoville, LOL It looks adorable. Those candles in heh windows and the extras make it look just plain great!

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Super sweet little village. Thanks for sharing.

Just Carol said...

That is such a great idea...I love it! Your creation is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.

giddy99 said...

Oh, that is a very clever interpretation of the pattern! Very cute idea!

Karin said...

Clever Girl! Your little foam town is darling and I love that it comes complete with a moon! :) I adore the details you included - it adds such charm. Practical and sweet!

Agnes B Bullock said...

LOVE THIS! now, do I need to send my address to you again- you keep losing it! :)

Abbigail said...

I love, love what you have done here! What a great ideal! It's so pretty and useful (hate those drafts!)! Great use of the pattern!

hulseybg at gmail dot com

Melinda said...

Very clever way to adapt the pillow to your space! The candles in the windows were a genius touch!

Needled Mom said...

Great and practical idea! You did a wonderful job on it too.

Anna said...

I had to become a follower of a clever quilter...way to think outside the box!

Patty D from NC said...

very unique - lovely idea. thanks for sharing this!

Ronda Walker said...

Loved your creative interpretation, so much fun. I'm a new blogger and this is my first blog hop, I'm "meeting" so many new friends, look forward to following you. Ronda from California

Kathy said...

I love all of your many embellishments. You did a lovely job!

Sallie said...

What a great idea!!

Celtic Thistle said...

Amazing, what a great take on the pattern.

LuAnn said...

What a cute idea. Love what you did with the pattern!

StitchinByTheLake said...

You had me when you said Mary Engelbreit! I love your creativity - I would never have dreamed of putting this together this way but now I want one exactly like it for my mantel. :) blessings, marlene

SIMPLESEW said...

great pillow merry christmas

Mary said...

Great idea for your pillow. Thank you for sharing.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a great pillow to keep the drafts out while you watch The Grinch on TV (or DVD). Great idea!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Very creative idea!

BizyStitches said...

I like how you went outside the box. LOL. I made a Christmas quilt with the same exact fabric. I love it. Thanks for being in the hop.

silvia said...

Super cute!!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Amazing! What a wonderful idea.

tink's mom said...

What a terrific idea. It looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing with us.

Teresa in Music City said...

I knew you would come up with something different and interesting! I just love it - much better than a simple pillow :*)

Barb N said...

How clever! Such a nice addition to your Christmas.

Ellie Q said...

What a clever idea! I love it and the embellishments you added!

Chris said...

Oh my gosh.....aren't you a kick! I love the formed houses.

Jean(ie) said...

You rocked it gurl! how clever! I love how your mind works.

Lee said...

Way - too - *awesome* !

Pierro said...

Rosemary B here: LOVE this.
I love your creativity with this project. Nicely done. Love the colors and the candles and the other embellishments. SO NICE
Thank you for sharing

Leah said...

Very clever! Love how you have transformed these houses to fit your needs. Spectacular.

Katherines Corner said...

this is "sew" charming., love this idea. big hugs! P.S. id you get my email?

Gmama Jane said...

So creative, Denise!! I would have never dreamed up this pillow project!! Works great for your needs as well. You are *da bomb*
Love you sweet friend
Jane

sophie said...

I considered adding candles in the windows of my Holiday Lane pillow, but didn't think I could pull it off. Yours look Perfect! What a lovely pillow.

Quilt n Queen said...

Denise...and yet another creative mind. What a fabulous take on the Holiday Lane pattern. The fabrics are perfect as are the decorated trees and the snowman. The candles in the window are awesome. Great job!! Thank you for sharing your time and inspiration with us today. Happy stitching, Pauline

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Cute , Cute, Cute! Love your details! I had really wanted to be a part of this blog hop too, but had to restrain myself, since this is a very crazy time for art orders...but I will definitely keep this pattern in mind!

Blessings & Aloha!

Momof3girls said...

You did a great job! It's really cute and I love the trees and snowman too!

LJ said...

Well, aren't you inventive!! That's a novel idea to stuff them with foam. They turned out so cute and the practical side of the rows of houses is super! Thanks for sharing.

hookedonquilting said...

Your project is the first one I've looked at because we've been out of town. I'm soooo glad you did something different, and might I add very ingenious, than making it just like the pattern. I've shrunk mine because like you I didn't need a large pillow. I might have to borrow your idea, if you don't mind, because I could use some draft blockers. I could use A LOT of draft blockers actually... Bottom line - you did a super job as always!

Cyn said...

Brilliant. . absolutely brilliant! Love your out-of-the-box idea. So clever.

Beth said...

You are so creative! I love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

Vivian said...

That is such a neat idea. You win the creativity award.

MoeWest said...

That's such a clever idea for a window or a mantle. I love the ME fabric and the details that you added!

Martha said...

Great fabric, great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Linda in Calif. said...

Denise, I totally love this pillow! It's adorable! So creative and festive. It just has everything going for it. Oh and I love your wreath on the iron gate. I love our automatic gate opener - I know you do too!

Sarah said...

You're sew clever! At first I would have said to make a long pillow for the bed but the window idea is much, much better!

Mary said...

Smartie Pants to make them from the foam. I missed doing this Blog hop. Hope your foot is feeling good this Christmastime. The wreath is perfect for the fence, maybe a bigger one could be used too.