Tuesday, August 28, 2012

a motley crew: owls, cupcakes, and swings . . .

What a happy day yesterday was!  I got backings prepped for several pieces and got my mini-fence rail piece sandwiched and ready for quilting.  I also decided on the drawing I wanted to try out the crayon art . . .
It's all traced and ready for me to color!  I was inspired by seeing Judy's (Gramma's Quilting Room) finished, stitched piece, which was gorgeous--you really should click over and take a look!  I've had this pattern for a while (haha, let's be honest -- I've had a LOT of stitchery patterns for a while), but seeing Judy's stitched out in color made me really fall in love with it!  I'm going to try a combination of crayon-coloring and then stitching in the details (similar to the faux applique, I guess) and see how it turns out!

I also made this happy find . . . 
A pretty little stand to hold my Kindle upright!  I love to use it as my recipe book -- it takes up less room of my [incredibly] precious counter top space.  Oftentimes, if I've got a written recipe or one I've found online, I'll convert it to a pdf and send it to my Kindle.  I also trimmed up a ziplock bag to slip over and protect my Kindle from any spills or drips (or flinging batter when my beater goes crazy)!

A couple of weeks ago I came across a marvelous Kindle freebie on Amazon, Cupcakes for Two.
It's not a freebie now, unless you're a Prime member, and just want to borrow it, but if you're an empty-nester or small family or living on your own, it's well-worth the $2.99 they're listing it for now!  [Edited to add:  if you're a Kindle owner and Prime member, you'll have to go through your Kindle to "borrow" the book from Amazon.  Thanks, Penny, for letting me know!]  We had Kim, James, and Sawyer coming over for dinner and I wanted to make some cupcakes ... and there's not point in making a box mix which leaves me with two dozen cupcakes for five people (which means five cupcakes get eaten and nineteen cupcakes get left for me to figure out what to do with).  And homemade is so much better (and better for you)!  These recipes are perfect for such situations and SOOOOOO easy!  And with normal ingredients, too! 
I doubled the German Chocolate cupcake recipe and made the milk chocolate frosting and ended up with six cupcakes. Just right. Joc had tried a recipe earlier in the month and said it was great, too. It's nice to be able to just make two cupcakes ... and have them be fresh and wholesome!

We had a little play time before dinner was ready. I need to brag on my darling hubby here. Not only did he bring home the fish last Friday, he also cleaned them, cooked 'em up for us for dinner last night, and cleaned the dishes afterward. What a guy! And his fish fillets are the best!

Anyway, while we waited for the fish to fry, Sawyer took us out to the playground where he hit the slide (with a little help from daddy) . . .
Enjoyed the swings . . .
Just look at that precious, happy face!
And pretty much just enjoyed the space and freedom to RUN!

After dinner (and a session of family frisbee up in the big meadow), we finally got to the cupcakes--much to Sawyer's (and consequently, my) delight . . .





I have Aunt Jocelyn to thank for this shot.  ;)
I think the cupcakes were a happy hit.

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Momof3girls said...

I have Prime service, but how do I borrow a book. It only shows the $2.99 price?

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness..... Sawyer looks like he just drips with energy and mischief!! I'm getting out of breath just looking at the pictures.I'll be watching to see how your crayon applique/stitching goes.

Janet O. said...

What a cute little stitchery pattern--should work up great in your planned method.
Sawyer looks like he is ready to give a 5-star rating to that Amazon cupcake Kindle book! : )

Teresa in Music City said...

What a fun day!!! I love your ingenious method of protecting your Kindle on the counter :*) Those cupcakes look downright delicious - I'll take two!!! If Sawyer gets any cuter, you're going to have to kiss him :*)

Jocelyn said...

Love the owl-- so classy!

And way to go Sawyer, for showing everybody your food! Just like "Docelyn" taught you!

Jean(ie) said...

Bwahahahahahahahha... Love the chocolate shot. Made me smile. There is nothing "more gooder" than a good cupcake!

Michelle said...

But you didn't tell us where you found the Kindle stand!

Sarah said...

That owl is gorgeous - if the crayon thing doesn't work out I do hope you'll stitch it! Thanks for the cupcake book link - will definitly have to check it out as I am not a big cake eater and a whole cake or a bunch of cupcakes goes to waste. I have been making microwave mug cakes to get a "fix"

Judy D in WA said...

Can't wait to see your owl!!! Thanks for the shout out. :o)

Little Sawyers is absolutely adorable with is sweet little cupcake face! Cupcakes are the best!

Pat said...

I see so much of you in these photos of Sawyer! I wish I knew how to make just two cupcakes at a time. It would be more "diet friendly" for me....that's for sure!

Melissa Bishop said...

What a cute owl and even more cute cake faced boy! Thanks for stopping by. Mr. Clause has been fun to work on.
Blessings!

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Hey there! Just gave you the Sunshine Award: http://www.theforeigndomestic.com/2012/08/sunshine-award.html

Mary said...

Yes, Your Grandson is precious. Thanks for making Cupcakes Neesey, he says! You can keep the FISH, I'll take the cupcakes...

Kate said...

Chocolate cupcakes and a little boy, looks like a fun, but messy combo! The cupcakes look yummy.