Wednesday, August 29, 2012

whooooo knows what i did yesterday . . .

Played with my little Owlie project yesterday.  But before I could, I realized I had to get myself some new crayons.  All I had were the jumbo crayons (hey -- I've got a toddler grandson!) ... and I might have chosen to give those a shot, but there's only EIGHT stinking colors in that box!  Forget that!  I need more color!  So I stopped by the store and went to the crayon aisle.  Guess what I found?
Look at that big ol' box of colors!  When did this happen?!  
Last thing I knew, the biggest box on the block only held sixty-four colors ... this one holds NINETY-SIX!  And some are metallic!  Crayon heaven!

But I digress.  I got my colors home and started playing around on Mr. Owlie.  A couple of things I learned in the process ... taping the fabric down was good, but I should have taped it to something I could move around a bit.  I should have pressed (and set) the micron marker marks before coloring.  And ... when you start coloring a drawing like this, start at the top and work to the bottom instead of the other way around.  Because otherwise you end up with color on the front of your white tank top.  Ooops!

It didn't take long ... look how fun!  You can't tell from the pictures, but I did find and use those metallic/glittery crayons.  Oh yes I did!  
Then I covered it with paper towels and me and my trusty Reliable iron pressed away!
You can see where the excess wax from the crayons is absorbed into the paper towel.  
You're done when no more wax melts off onto the towel.  The final product is a little lighter, but still pretty vibrant.  I like how his eyes kind of glow!
Next step ... stitching!

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Oh, he is so cute!! I used to love to color, both as a child, and with my own children. I love the way you added texture to his tummy feathers with your shading! I may have to make some of these...it's a good excuse to buy that amazing box of crayons!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Can't wait to see this stitched - thank you for sharing the process.

Judy D in WA said...

Awesome! I think I need to do this too! 96 crayons!!! I need to shop more often!

Momof3girls said...

96 colors have been around for a while, sorry.

I love the picture. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Melissa Bishop said...

So cute!

Teresa in Music City said...

This looks like so much fun! You're making me wish my schedule right now allowed time to play with my own big box of crayons :*) I may have to get a new one though, because mine does NOT have those wonderful metallics =^..^=

Missy Shay said...

Do all the colors stay when the project is washed, or is it only used on stuff that don't get washed?
missysaprons@gmail.com

Janet O. said...

Isn't he cute!!
When I buy new crayons for the grandkids to use, I still have this excited feeling about a new box with all sharp point and no broken crayons. Takes me back about half a century. Silly, huh?

Cathy said...

Oh Denise, he looks wonderful!! And I hadn't seen a box of crayons this size before, either. What are you going to do with him when he is done?I used to love colouring when I was a kid, both with crayons, and coloured pencils. What could be better than to combine something lovingly remembered from childhood with something lovingly done as an adult?

Sarah said...

OMG he's adorable!!
If he disappears you know where to come find him :)

Michelle said...

Ooooooh -- now I want to color an owl!

Barbara F. said...

Wow, this looks great, Denise. I can just imagine when all your sewing is done. Owls are so big this year, Pier I is overflowing with them for fall. How is the weather by you? I xo

Jean(ie) said...

96 colors... really? Wow! I like your owlie. Too cute. I might have to try this method. Looks like fun!

Barb said...

When I was young I always wanted one of those large boxes of crayons and was always envious of those who had one. Turned out great!

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing the in-process pics. I think Crayons might still be 'on sale' with School starting. You did a great coloring job.