Saturday, August 11, 2012

simpler things . . .

I've been a long-time fan of Amish fiction . . . having spent quite a bit of time camping with my family in the Pennsylvania Dutch Country during my childhood and see the Amish lifestyle from afar, it always intrigued me.  I was a natural-made fan of the fiction!  So it's no wonder that as an adult, I've often wondered how "plain" or a more simpler way of living would be.  In many of aspects of our life, we've accomplished that, to a degree.  Moving from our 'sticks and bricks' home to our 'home on wheels' caused me to give up most of the "stuff" that filled our closets and shelves and really make a determination on what was important. From clothes and jewelry to furniture and decorations to even food and products.  But still . . . we have electricity and technology and cars . . . not quite Amish!

My third squishy happened to be a book!  
A bloggy friend of mine had mentioned that she was a reviewer for Bethany House publishers and, being intrigued by the idea, I did a little research and signed up.  When the first list of books to chose from was e-mailed to me, this one caught my eye *right* off the bat!  Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman?  It had to be for me!
When I got home, it was waiting for me ... and do you know, I opened it up on Sunday and stayed up Monday until I'd finished it?!  It wasn't quite what I expected ... because it's not about an Amish family ... but it was fun!

So if you're like me and you've ever come to the end of a rough/tough day--where the phone never stopped ringing, the e-mails were endless, and technology seemed to give you more to do, not less--and wondered what life might be like if you lived the simpler life of the Amish? Then this story--Almost Amish--is the perfect story for you! Main character Julie Charlton tires of her daily grind, and in an opportunity that's part "Survivor" and part Amish fiction, she and her family accept a challenge to "live simply" for the summer. It really was a fun (and funny) read - seeing how they faced their weekly challenges and watching the so-called "simple life" become both comfortable and comforting.  And most importantly, how it changed the dynamics of their family life.


Cushman does a great job of developing the story line and her characters and includes a few fun twists in the plot, as well. Definitely a happy summer read.

So . . . if this sounds interesting to YOU, and you'd like to try it for yourself, leave me a comment telling me what kind of books you most like to read.  You don't have to be a follower (though it's nice) -- just leave one comment!  I'll randomly pick a winner on Wednesday, August 15th!  (And who knows?  I may throw in some other *happies* as well!)

**Disclaimer:  Bethany House publishers did not compensate me for this review.  I did receive a free copy of the book to read and it is this copy I am giving away.**

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Denise I hope being first to comment means good things - the early bird and all that! :) Since I'm just a little into "prepping" this sounds like it's right up my alley. I don't really prep like the term means these days but I do try to live simply, preserve what I can, make do with less. It sounds like a great book! blessings, marlene

Momof3girls said...

I love reading about the Amish too! I love the simplicity that they have, how they court, their celebrations, etc. Just love it! I don't have time to read anymore, since I started my business. :( When I read one of those books, I have to read it immediately without putting it down. I love to read!

Cathy said...

Sounds like a fun book to read. I think I like my technology a bit to much to willingly give it up, though. Then we couldn't "talk".

Teresa in Music City said...

Ooohhh that sounds like a goodie! I've been inspired to live more simply, but so far it hasn't really made it into the practicalities of my life yet. Maybe this book would help me get in gear :*)

Linda said...

HELLO! THANKS FOR SHARING A REALLY NICE GIVEAWAY! LOVE TO READ THESE TOO!

msstitcher1948@yahoo.com

Pat said...

OH...OH.....how do I get to be a reviewer for them, too? I'd love to do that as Amish fiction is my very favorite type of read...and I have read many....but not THIS one, so I hope I win!!! (I tried to send a comment already and it didn't post...so I hope this one does.)

Mary said...

I've read a few of the Wanda E. Brunstetter Amish fiction books. Her books do portray Amish life and are great reads. She is related to some Amish so she knows first hand. It doesn't hurt that Quilts are mentioned and Wanda is from my home State. Thanks for a chance to read a new author. I am reading in my spare time...between test Block deadlines and the Olympics.

Shari said...

I enjoy books about women and the way they simplify life. This sounds right up my alley. I would also share the book with my daughter, Moon. She is an avid reader of all books. Thanks for the opportunity to win.....Shari

Barbara F. said...

Hi Denise, I think I am going to check them (Bethany) out. I love Amish country and have visited many many times. I had a collection of paper backs written by Amish women about their home life, and loaned all to a friend. Never came back to me, but I did enjoy them. You can count me in for this giveaway! xo

Eileene said...

Sounds like a book I'd like to read. My daughter reads her books all the time and loves them. If I win this one I'll read it too. hehehe
Eileene

Janet O. said...

I've read my first Amish fiction books this year, and they have been fun "escape" reading. Which authors do you prefer? There are so many.

BarbC said...

I pretty much love all Christian fiction. Cozy mysteries.... Historic fiction (especially those set in old west), romance, and yes Amish. I have read most of the books by Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter. Oh and Condi Woodsmall this author and title are new to me and sounds really good! I am adding this to my "gotta read" list for sure!

Barb C

Jevne said...

This is very different from the books I usually read and I would love to try it. Many years ago when I was a 'farm girl' we had Amish as neighbors.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I'm always up for a good read and this looks like one I would really enjoy. I am a voracious reader and always appreciate recommendations. It's been so hot that getting lost between the pages of a good book is a welcome treat. Thank you for the opportunity to put my name in the hat!

Linda said...

Have heard about this book before and was intrigued. Thanks for the offer!

Paula said...

I love the books about the Amish. Beverly Lewis, Wanda Brunstetter....I could go on. Of course I also love the quilting books...Jennifer Chiaverini. I just love books!
I just may go and check out this Bethany idea!
Thanks for sharing and good luck to all.
Hugs

Sarah said...

I mostly read mystery books but ask my local librarian and I read just about anything! This book sounds interesting as we have several Amish and Mennonite families in this area as well as some friends who live a similar lifestyle.