Saturday, August 18, 2012

hickory, hickory, dock . . .

We had quite a line of storms move through the wee hours of Friday morning. But since the afternoon was clear and sunny, I decided to check out the ground under the sweet gum tree and see if any of its "fruits" had fallen.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed.  Not a single green sweet gum fruit on the ground.  I guess they only come down when it's windy enough (i.e., gale force winds) to blow down whole branches.  Ah well, no matter, the trip wasn't an entire waste ... I did happen to spot quite a number of these around and under that sweet gum tree (evidently they roll a lot when they fall) . . .
Hickory nuts in their hulls!

I collected quite a few that were ready to peel (that's what I call it -- perhaps the more technical term is de-hull) and by the time I got back to the RV, I had a tidy little pile.

But a pile of hulls meant I needed to actually do something with them.  So I rounded up some supplies.  Like . . . 
My trusty hot glue gun.

My needle-nosed pliers and my heavy duty clippers.

And some additional adornments -- some natural, some not so natural (but natural looking)(sorta).

Then I went to crafting . . .
I had such fun putting together my little hickory hull flowers!

And don't they make a sweet little bouquet, too?  Very woodsy and camp-appropriate.
That lichen I picked up from the base of the sweet gum tree, too.  There was a bunch of it out there -- I think that will come in handy again for some kind of wreath.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure.  ;)  
It was a wonderfully inexpensive (as in FREE) craft materials day for me!

All that fabric in my stash ... and I go pick up hickory hulls!

:)

6 left a comment . . .:

Sarah said...

Lovely boquet (sp?) of flowers and a gret way to avoid the new stash. LOL. I'm sure you'll be inspired soon enough and use the fabric.

Momof3girls said...

I love your flower bouquet. It turned out really pretty. I would never have thought of something like that. You did great!

Connie said...

How beautiful Denise! We have hickory trees around here too! Curious minds want to know....what will you do with the hickory nuts???

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is my kind of crafting - first enjoying nature's bounty and beauty, collecting things already in 'harvest' mode, and then making something pretty with it all.

Kate said...

Very pretty!

Jean(ie) said...

look at you g! Hell hath no fury than a crafty woman with a glue gun! LOL!!