Wednesday, August 15, 2012

that was then, this is now . . .

I had mentioned, when I chatted about my trip to Virginia/Maryland, that I would be meeting up with a fellow quilter.  And then I forgot to say anything about that when I got back!  What's wrong with me?!
This is she, Cecilia Noel, my darling niece.  

She's an award winner, even!  Her first-ever quilt won first place in their county fair! (Which you can see was actually some time ago!)

Here's a bit of what she was working on while we were there . . . 

A sweet baby quilt for her boyfriend's newest sibling.  Isn't this darling?  I love her handwork!

And the beginnings of a quilt for her own bed.  
Love her color scheme for this!  I'm not sure if it was going to stay on her bed at home, or go off with her to George Mason University, where she'll be attending as a freshman this year.  

Speaking of love, she'd also made a darling little quilt for Ellie-belly.  Ellie loved it dearly.  :)

And speaking of quilts, here's a shot of the one I made for my sister, hanging in its spot in their dining area . . .
And here's a couple of shots from Julia's yard, which show why it was oh-so-appropriate for my sweet sister:

She's definitely a free-range gal!

Fast-forward to the present.  Todd and I were out and about taking care of things.  We stopped at Cracker Barrel for lunch and as we browsed through the store while we waited, I found this darling sweatshirt . . .
I can tell I'm ready for the cool crisp autumn air and all things pumpkin!  This was waiting for me when I got home.  Yay!

We'd also gone by the house.  Wouldn't you know that our Granny Smith apple tree produced more apples this year than it has in the past seven years combined?  I grabbed enough for a cobbler.  
They weren't the prettiest on the outside, but they sure did make a yummy cobbler!  So good, we'd eaten half of it before I remembered to take a picture!

We did eat dinner first ... I must have been in a baking mood -- we had Taco Pie.  
It was pretty darn yummy, too.  Yummy enough that we're also having it for lunch today.  Which I'd better go fix!

:)

7 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

I love that your niece has become involved in quilting at such a young age. She is doing well.
Okay, this post made me hungry, but it isn't lunch time yet. I need to go keep busy and get my mind off food--guess I'll quilt. : )

Michelle said...

I love the weathervane!

Jean(ie) said...

Yum! I'm coming to your house for dinner (and dessert!!!!!!). The apples are starting to come out here in Washington. I've already made an apple pie. Apples are your pumpkins in Autumn. My best memories are going to the orchard and picking our own.

I can't wait for apple season!

Jean(ie) said...

P.S. your niece is adorable! I love the colors in her bed quilt!

Barbara F. said...

How nice when bloggers meet up! How far are you from Raleigh, NC? I am ready for fall but occasionally think I should not rush it. A time for every season..... :) I want to go apple picking this year for sure. xo

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lucky you - we had no apples this year due to a cold spell that prevented budding and bees. Yummo taco pie! And such a pretty, talented neice.

Sarah said...

Taco pie sounds yummy - where does a hungry soul find the recipe? Your niece is beautiful and does excellent work...love the handstitched words.