Tuesday, August 21, 2012

a pressing matter . . .

It's another gorgeous, gorgeous day out there.  It feels more like late-September weather than late-August.  It's quite glorious!

I thought I'd invite you into my Home-Sweet-RV for just a bit.
Do you remember in yesterday's post when I mentioned how grateful we were to have a second bathroom -- albeit a half-bathroom -- in our digs?  Thought I'd share about that today, now that it's all successfully (and easily and cheaply) resolved!

First you have to have a little knowledge about RV toilets and how they work.
This is our master bathroom toilet.  Notice there's no tank and no handle.  It's a porcelain potty (for which I've very grateful), but it's worked by that foot pedal, down there on the left.

When you're ready to flush . . .
You step on the pedal and push.  The hole opens up and water comes down the sides of the bowl to rinse it out.

When the bowl is emptied . . .
You put your foot under the pedal and lift up.  This speeds up the water coming into the bowl to refill it.  Keeping water in the bowl is the best barrier between you and the black water tank, if you get my meaning!

Our catastrophe?  Imagine putting you foot on the pedal to flush . . .
And nothing happens.  Or rather, water comes into the bowl -- that part worked fine -- but NOTHING goes out of the bowl!  Aye carumba!

Yikes!!  This happened to us Sunday morning.  Just as we were getting ready to leave for church.  Unfortunately, it was also a day when Todd came home from church and had to turn around and leave to go on shift!  Which meant he couldn't get to it until Monday when he got off shift!  I was so thankful there was a second bathroom -- and that it was just off the room where I spent the majority of my day was an added blessing!

Luckily, instead of having to replace the entire toilet, it was just a matter of finding a screw that had worked itself "unscrewed" and getting it back in it's proper place.  Easy, peasy fix -- matter of minutes.  Whew - we're flush now - wocka, wocka!

More than you wanted to know about RV living?!  Never fear; I'll be back with some quilty stuff tomorrow!

***Edited to add:  Todd read my post today and said, "So, a toilet tutorial."  Yup, that pretty much covers it ... but don't worry -- I promise I won't place it up there on my tutorial's page!***

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

I am happy to see someone living the RV life address this, as it is the one thing that I dread and fear. I would love to have a camper and travel the country. But the potty issue really keeps me staying home. And being single, I don't think it is a dream I can make a reality. :( xo

Eli OKeefe said...

Ha, yes when my dad had a RV that would happen often, and with six people in the same little RV, stuff gets serious! :)
Elisabeth

Janet O. said...

The black water tank sounds ominous--probably is. : )

Sarah said...

I for one, learned about *lifting* the pedal. Wonder if my brother or parents know that trick? They didn't teach me...

Linda in Calif. said...

Now this is a funny post! We have an RV and I've learned the lifting part too. Ours is used for camping only. I would really love to take an extended trip (several months) when we retire. I'm sure happy for you that you had extra potty.

Melissa Labella said...

Never been in an RV. The Holiday Inn is roughing it for my hubby. I did go sailing when I was younger, seems like a similar situation toilet-wise. At least if you are desperate enough in an RV you could always hop in your car and find someplace to "go". Not so much in the middle of the ocean I suppose.

Barbara said...

Two potties in your RV. You must be part of the 1%! You've given me a new reason to admire you. Grandchildren AND two potties. Some people have it all. Sigh.

Linda said...

Hahaha Now that's funny! Todd's comment. But hey...you might want to rethink adding this to your tutorial page because You never know...Someday, somewhere, someone may just need this tutorial more than any other. LOL

Jean(ie) said...

The toilet tute! (or is it toot? LOL!) To the poster above regarding the potty issue and RVs, it really is not a big deal.You just throw on some gloves, hook on a hose and flush, or call someone to do it for you...

Guess which method I prefer?

Kate said...

So that's how those work.