Sunday, August 26, 2012

stash report #34 and a splash of color (theory) . . .


I managed to steer clear of additions to my stash again this week.  Yay for me!

Used/donated this week: 2 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 26.75 yards
Purchased/added this week: 0 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 111.25 yards
Net used/donated for 2012: -84.5 yards

Not too bad, right?  I'm happy with it.  I'm linking up with Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times for the weekly stash reporting.

I wanted to go ahead and share a little bit about this Color Theory Class I've been taking.  I just completed lesson three.  It's real work!  I'm taking it through the StitchMAP Yahoo! group - the button for which is on my sidebar on the right.  According to their site:
StitchMAP is for individuals interested in having a Mentor to help them while learning new needlework techniques. Free mentoring is offered in needle arts such as Crazy Quilting, Hardanger, Silk Ribbon Embroidery, Surface Hand Embroidery, Tatting, Brazilian Embroidery, Needlepoint, Quilting, Blackwork, Cross Stitch, and other Counted Thread techniques.
And . . .
StitchMAP membership is open to those who are committed to learning new needlework techniques and to those who would like to help others by assuring they begin their journey into the world of stitchery with the proper tools, knowledge,and materials. A membership questionnaire is sent to new members and must be returned before full membership privileges are granted. 
They offer quite a number of classes, but the prerequisite for most of them is the Color Theory class. And since I want to take some other classes ... and because I've really wanted to take a course in color for quilting, anyway ... I jumped on the first opportunity!

Lesson one was all about the six basic colors ... the three primary colors (red, blue, yellow) and the three secondary colors (purple, green, orange) and the hues.  We were to collect samples and get our notebook started ... as well as talk about our favorite color(s) and share projects that had our favorite colors.  Here's a photo from lesson one:

Lesson two was an exercise in creating my own color wheel.  It was harder than I thought it would be!  As a bonus, we were to pick embroidery floss that matched each color on the wheel.  I didn't already have floss for every color, so I took a trip to JoAnn's and listed the DMC floss number for the match.

Lesson three was very detailed!  We learned about values, tones, gradations, and intensity.  We took our color samples and had to break them out according to the different terms.  Then we pulled out our color wheel and noted our favorite color and its complement (is it any surprise I picked purple?) ... and separate the wheel into warm and cool colors.  We also got to do a little stitching -- three flowers -- one in all warm colors, one in all cool colors, and one in a combination.  I hand drew a couple of quick flowers and got to stitching!
I'd originally gotten a 1-1/2 looseleaf notebook, but I think I may need to upgrade to at least a 3"!  I'm really learning a lot and it's a lot harder than I originally thought it would be!  But definitely worth the time and effort I'm putting into it -- and my personal mentor for this course is *very* knowledgeable and helpful.  

Waiting on Lesson four, now -- can't wait to get my hands on it!!

Happy Sunday!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Dee Dee said...

So glad you are enjoying your online class. Color is everything when making a quilts. Thanks for sharing pictures from your class.

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! That does look very intense! You are doing such a wonderful job of being careful to put in the work to get the most from it too. I look forward to hearing more :*) This class would be so helpful to new quilters as well. I have so many new quilters in our guild asking me for help with color decisions.

Cathy said...

Wow!! Those classes look intense. But it will take you to a whole new place in your designing and quilting.

Kate said...

Looks like a very fun and interesting class. I love your stitched flowers!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

That looks like a wonderful and very informative class. Thank you for sharing what you are learning - I look forward to hearing more...I'm intrigued!

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks like a great class...enjoy! Love the flower stitchery!

Janet O. said...

That is a lot of color theory to absorb. My brain probably couldn't wrap around all of this. : )
Those flowers are awfully sweet.

Jean(ie) said...

Lots of color! I always gravitate toward complementary and split-complementary schemes.

Beth Probasco said...

What a great class!! It looks like you will learn a great deal that will be helpful with your quilting.

Melissa Bishop said...

Color theory has been one of the hardest things for me to learn, and the most rewarding and beneficial.

Melissa Bishop said...

Oops! I some how missed the part where you drew these cute flowers. Well done!

Sarah said...

Wow - that is quite the class. I can help with tatting and hardanger if you need :)