Monday, August 20, 2012

declutter to design . . .

Gosh it's lovely this morning -- cool and dry and clear skies.  Is it the end of September or August?!?  Whatever it is, I'll take it!

Thought I'd share some pics of a my newly decluttered space.  Keep in mind, however, that when you declutter a fulltime RVer's space, you don't end up with spacious, roomy spaces.  You end up with every space filled in a neat, organized way.  LOL!

***Edited to add:  Todd thought this would be more interesting if I started with a "before" picture.  So here's one right after I started the process:
Pretty scary, right?!?***

Okay starting up with the space immediately to the left, as you walk into the bunkroom . . . 
The pegboard hangs over the 1/2 bath (which we're *very* grateful for right now -- long story, different post, perhaps).  

Next, the slideout with the bunk beds (minus the mattresses -- we don't need no stinking mattresses!) . . . 
The bunks we converted to storage space for our assorted Rubbermaid drawer systems -- which are totally hodge-podge -- our office filing cabinet and the printer.  The drawers hold my quilting/crafting supplies and fabric (the bulkier yardages, my Christmas fabrics, my Friendship collection and one {little} drawer of assorted charm squares) and then some have Todd's things and a couple of sets hold office supplies.  My make shift design wall is rolled up there at the top.  When I need a big design wall, I simply drop it and it covers the entire space.  

Under the bottom bunk is more storage space, accessible from both the inside *and* the outside.  Crafting stuff is kept close to the front, so I can get to it easily -- Christmas crafting stuff and ladies ministry materials are kept in the back.

In this corner we have my stash, stored in containers by color (mostly).
And you might notice that I also have a bitty design window.  Just for blocks and whatever (saves me having to unroll the big guns)!

Now the table ... 
We put all space to good use ... there's a couple of more sets of Rubbermade drawers underneath there, as well!  And I have a lovely view out the back window while I sew.  Deer often cross my line of vision out here.

Then we skip a corner and move to the farthest corner (which is actually to your right as you walk into the bunkroom) . . .
This is also a bunkbeds -- the top is a regular bunk, which we use for storage of bigger stuff -- my quilter's hoop, two additional tables, a folding chair, and some other stuff.  If we needed to, we can lower it, clear off the stuff, and use it as a bed. The bottom couch (which is nice to have back there) unfolds into a bed as well.  And of course, there's storage under the couch as well -- this is Todd's side.  :)

And here's one of the things I'm working on ... this pretty little block (for a second time).  
I swear, I think that hydrangea fabric may be my all-time fabric for the ages.  Or top ten, at least!

And, finally, remember this?
The collection I won from Meg Cox and Moda earlier in the year?
I've held on to it, wanting to use it for something special -- but I've also felt bad about not using it, too. 
Until this weekend!  Barbara Brackman's newest BOW -- Grandmother's Choice -- starts up on Saturday, September 1. It will be a blog and block chronicling the fight for women's rights (similar to the Civil War Quilts blog and BOW Barbara did). I knew I wanted to participate, but didn't know what fabric I'd use ... until I realized that this line would be *perfect*!  And I think I've got more than enough of it to do the entire top -- except for perhaps sashing, binding, and the back.  But still, I'm so excited!!  I've followed the blog and gotten on the Flickr group, too.  Ready, set, GO!

Okay ... so I've got *space* (without chaos) to play in today. I'm going there. You head over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and check out what's going up on design walls 'round the quilting blogosphere!

HAPPY MONDAY!!

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great use of your space. I haven't picked fabric yet for Barbara's next BOM, but do intend to participate.

Linda said...

I must say you have put every nook to good use. Well done. We enjoyed traveling with our 5th wheel until a couple of years ago when our health started declining. And it is amazing how much 'stuff' a person can pack in there. Enjoyed your post.

Cathy said...

Wow, that's a lot of stuff in a very small space. Great job of organizing it!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

What in the world did we ever do before the invention of Rubbermaid containers?! Honestly! I have been telling myself that I don't have a place for a design wall. Well, if YOU have a place in your RV then I MUST have a place. LOL. Off to reconfigure! :)

Janet O. said...

I enjoyed the tour of your workspace, Denise. Very efficient use of your space (why does DH's side of the room seem so empty?). : )
You have a very clever design wall (and window).
I think you have found the perfect project for that lovely fabric collection!

Jean(ie) said...

Love it... you actually have tons of space to work with and I think you've used it wisely.

Jean(ie) said...

LOL @ Janet's comment about Todd's space... *snort*

Sarah said...

Well, my fellow enabler! I'm still debating on fabrics for the new BOW - I really like the green/purple/white combo suggested but I am not sure if I want to do scrappy or a 2 color quilt which I have never done before. It might mean that I get the blocks done quicker since I don't have to debate fabric placement with just 2 fabrics. I might wait until the first post to see some of her sample blocks. Can't wait!

Your "studio" looks good. Even with a house, sometimes I spend more time sorting and fitting craft supplies into crannies than anything else. I should post the curio cabinet that has become my UFO station. People give me things cuz I have a house but I can't possibly use it all before I turn 999.

One last observation - WHAT would use crafty people do without Rubbermaid storage?!?

Mary said...

The after pictures are great! I'm not getting tempted to start the new BOW this time. TOO MANY UFO's already. Can I just watch you make yours? Pretty fabrics!

Barbara F. said...

Wow, Denise, you are amazing. I am still de-cluttering. My problem is I am still shopping! Those two things don't go together. ha! xo

Linda in Calif. said...

What a great idea to turn the bunk space into storage - and you have done such a good job of organizing it. I've been kicking around the idea of doing Grandmother's Choice. I loved doing the civil war blocks. I just wish I have finished the alternating squares and finished the quilt so that I would feel free to do this new one.

Connie said...

Wow Denise, I am always amazed at how much you accomplish and now I can see how organized you are! I would never imagine there would be that much "crafting space" in a RV. Smart idea to use the bunkbed area as storage and I love, love all that great fabric you won!

Kate said...

That's a lot in a small space. But no matter what size space you have I think one tends to expand to fill it.

Love your fabric choices for the Grandmother's Choice. I've been looking in the stash to see if I've got anything that will work. I'd like to do Barbara's BOW this year.