Friday, September 21, 2012

a flimsy on feline friday . . .

Would you believe that I forgot my camera last night?  Arrgh!!  I caught some photos on my phone, but I was sitting at the back of the room and none of them are really great.  Which is such a shame because Mary Lou was a complete *delight*!  

I'm going to blame my forgetfulness on my health . . . a trip to the doctor's office yesterday (I thought I had a sty) had me leaving with not a sty, but an infected tear duct.  Oh, that's better!  But also a sinus infection, an ear infection, and bronchitis.  What?!?  Crazy stuff.  No wonder I've felt a little puny this week.  Ah well, some eye drops, a heavy-duty antibiotic and a dose of steroids will put all to right.  LOL!  Anyway . . .

I did get to sit next to Mary Lou at dinner last night. She's very personable and fun.  Just engaging and charming and quite the storyteller!  Her quilts are gorgeous and fun and if you've never seen them, it's definitely worth a trip to her blog and her website!  But I'm telling you, seeing them in person is like seeing totally different quilts  (or rather, seeing them online is like looking at them through a dark glass, if you get my drift).  They were full of sparkle and light and gorgeous!

She's definitely a story quilt maker.  I am sharing pics from her website ... but they are all quilts she had with her last night.
Her grandparents and memories of spending time with them -- so sweet!
This was a favorite -- her family's Christmas tree.  Oh my, this one was so *heavy* from all the embellishments on it!
And this one brought a good laugh from the crowd ... it was captioned with, "I'm a little witch when I don't get to stitch!"  Hahaha!!  She's very much an out of the box quilter!  In fact, she suggested that borders shouldn't be the afterthought -- but she does her borders first -- and then puts the middle in!

She also had a pretty wonderful philosophy which I wrote down.  Four things you should try to do on a regular basis:

1)  Give a genuine compliment.
2)  Share your skill. (But make sure the recipient wants to learn it, first!)
3)  Share your stash!
4) Be faithful to send a sweet, hand-written note to another guild member, neighbor, a church member -- of encouragement and cheer.

Good for her!  Advice I've seen lived out by lots of my bloggie friends already, you sweet things, you!

On the home front, I did get a new May Basket block put together.  Here's the old and new, side-by-side.
I think I just don't care for the block, in general . . . but at least the new one looks more 'together'.  LOL!!

And here's the flimsy, all assembled!
I was able to show it last night.  There were about a ten or so that were shared during Show & Tell -- such fun!

And here's my first nod to the onset of fall . . .
Of course they're orange!  It's *pumpkin* season!!!

One of my all-time favorite shots of Gwenevere is this one . . . 
Which I played around with in an editing program and came up with . . . 
My embossed note card cat!  

I'll be linking up with Feline Friday at Sarah Did It!  And with that, I'm off to Ellie's.  We're getting ready for Kim's baby shower tomorrow -- Baby June will be here in another month!!!

Happy FRIDAY!!!

:)

11 left a comment . . .:

Deanna said...

Oh, dear, take care of yourself. Rest. Fluids...you know the routine, but it is so much easier to preach than practice.

Love Bears All Things said...

I like the witch one best with the red hair and all....
I bet its beginning to be pretty out at the camp with the leaves starting to turn.
Mama Bear

Mary said...

Love the orange toenails and especially the Witch quilt, not for the witch but the saying that goes with it. You should get feeling better with the good drugs. What a triple whammy the Dr diagnosed. So baby June is coming in October. Have a fun time with Ellie! Hope you remembered your camera.

Missy Shay said...

Sounds like we have the same thing! I've been very sick also. I'm not sure if I had a stye or not, pretty sure I did. To heal it, I just put olive oil on it. Works great! As for the other stuff, I've been taking extra garlic pills, and using an essential oil blend called deliverance, and diffusing peppermint and eucalyptus oils to help with the couching. I also rubbed the oils and the back of my ears for the infections.

Sarah said...

It amazes me the story quilts that some people are able to create. Please take care of yourself - no wonder you have been feely cruddy lately. I could see Gwenevere's edited photo as an embroidery design - do you know anyone with an emroidery machine? Thanks as always for linking to Feline Friday!

Jean(ie) said...

I love those quilts!!!!! and your orange (orinch) toesies... orange makes me smile...

Feel better soon, dear...

Barbara B said...

So glad you wrote down Mary Lou's 4 guidelines for life--a great end to a fun program!
Hope you are feeling better soon!

Wendy said...

Love Gwenevere's green eyes. She looks like such a sweet little cuddler!

Lea said...

The idea of pumpkin-colored toenails is smart! I admire those who quilt and come up with ideas on the designs. I am not that good with crafts. The embossed note card cat is amazing!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Hope you are feeling better! Your orange pumpkin painted pinkies are very clever!

Miss "Gwenevere" is beautiful..but I am sure she is aware that she is!

Thanks for your show and tell quilts they are beautiful.

Carolyn :)

Kate said...

Hope you are over the "crud". Thanks for sharing Mary Lou's quilts, they are very fun.

Love youre ebmossed note card cat. It's very dramatic.