Saturday, September 15, 2012

fall fruits inside and out . . .

I was hoping to have a finish to share this morning, but we had a busy day yesterday!  I do have this to share . . .
It's not attached or quilted yet, but give me an hour (some hour, any hour) and it'll be finished!

Todd is working on updating the camp's website, so I spent a good portion of my day sorting through three years worth of photos, picking the best ones and editing them.  Then we decided we needed to go out into the camp and grab some new photos.  So I did something I haven't done in well over a year . . .
Yup.  I can wear my tennis shoes again!  I tried sometime in the last two and a half months (when I was doing the de-cluttering process) and couldn't do it, so I was *very* pleased to be able to get into them yesterday afternoon!  Sometime next week I'll update my whole foot/weight loss progress (because I'm really thinking it's all tied together, now).

The golf cart is down ... and needs major $$ to get it back up and running, so we got in Todd's little truck.  But it meant we would have to 'hoof it' onto the trails.  One I've really missed is the little trail down to Crawdad Creek.  It really is a lovely, magical little spot.  First you have to find the Hidden Pathway . . . 

And then there's a trail opening in there somewhere!

Now, past the Forked Tree (which is so tall, it made my neck hurt to look up at it).

And through Fern Valley . . . 

Tiptoe past the upended group of trees . . .

Then there's the *magical* mushroom . . . 
Okay, it's not really magical, but I imagine if mushrooms could be magical, this one definitely would be.  

And finally, the creek starts to widen and make an appearance!

I got several great "micro" shots while I was out.





AND! before I forget, Kim, from Big B (everything embroidery!), had the solution/answer to my mystery nut!  It's from a Sawtooth Oak -- and as soon as I googled it, I knew that was spot on. Thank you SO much, Kim!

But after yesterday's adventure, I now have a new mystery:
Neither Todd nor I have ever seen one of these before ... they were falling on me as we left the Crawdad Creek area (had we overstayed our welcome?!?).  They're really tiny -- less than an inch big -- and very spikey!!

Today I'm off to Athens, Alabama to catch the Piecemaker Guild's quilt show!  Then Alabama plays at Arkansas this afternoon.  Should be a fun day!

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Karin said...

Celebrating with you and your tennis shoe-d tootsies! If I had tennis shoes, I would wear them in your honor. Wonderful news! I think I could get lost (willingly) exploring your neck of the woods - children would certainly think the entire place magical. I am no help in your fruit/nut identification - we live in the desert of No Trees. Your Fall mat is lovely!

Asiyah said...

Beautiful pictures. We plan to spend most of the day outdoors too! Thanks for sharing!

Jean(ie) said...

Triple yay for tennis shoes!!!!! I know that was a a long time coming. Thanks for taking us a long down the magic path...I could almost smell the earthy and leafy dampness.

Melissa Bishop said...

Yep, lol, mystery solved. So funny how we were all wrapped together trying to solve it. who says the internet doesn't foster community?! :) Thank you for the lovely walk you took us on. Maybe I will go on one here in, Colorado and show the contrasts from your lush, green landscapes to our dry mountain landscapes.
Hope your day is blessed!

Cathy said...

What fabulous, beautiful countryside you live in! And the fact that you could get your tennis shoes on, and actually go for a walk in it is more than fabulous!! Thank you, Lord, for answered prayer!!

Lea said...

The trip to the creek is an adventure! I'm happy about your tennis shoes, and for the spiky mystery solved :)

Lee said...

Oh thank you for letting me come along on your woodsy outing - even if it is the day after! It was nice to get out, lol and into such a lovely place. I was just telling my hubby this morning about your own foot issue as it JUST hit me that even IF the dr. tells me it's ok to start putting weight on my foot on the 25th, it's still going to be months before my foot is truly funtional (I was thinking of how long it took my wrist to become functional - 5 mos & then still pain with certain motions). So now to see that you are just now able to wear your tennis shoes again after all this time, it has confirmed my realization.

mindingmomma said...

enjoyed your photos

Susan said...

That's funny...I'm heading to Athens, PA for a quilt show next Saturday! Have fun at the quilt show!

Teresa in Music City said...

Hooray! Good for you getting back in your shoes! Doesn't that feel great? Enjoyed the tour through your woods today :*) And a new mystery to decipher - wow!!!

Mary said...

Hope you share some of your Quilt Show Pics. Never can see too many pretty quilts on these Blogs! Happy you can wear your Tennis shoes again.

Connie said...

Congrats on being able to wear the cute tennies Denise!! Love seeing all the beautiful photos of your walk on the trails!! What a beautiful place to be living.

Sarah said...

Your description reminded me of a fairytale type trip in a movie or story. (I will get caught up on blogs...I will get caught up...)