Friday, September 14, 2012

comparing apples and oranges . . .

Or rather, chestnuts and acorns.  Haha!

I got a lot of feedback yesterday on my mystery nuts.  I have not found a single tree that matches both the leaves *and* the look of the nut.  And I scoured the Internet!  The nut matches the acorn from the Bur Oak ... but the leaves look more like a Pin Oak.  Aye yi yi!!  But Todd and I did head over to the house and while we were there, I collected some chestnut samples.

The chestnut is large and the *very* prickly outer covering starts out covering the whole nut, and then splits open to reveal several nuts within . . . 
The nuts themselves are irregular in shape and glossy.  (And, in case you're wondering, I have a bag full in the freezer now, ready for cooler temps and a little open fire roasting!)

The mystery nuts are much smaller and the caps don't enclose the nut, split open, nor do they have more than one nut.  

Here's a selection of several (at least four) varieties of *known* acorns.  
Oak trees are the *only* trees that make acorns.  I learned that yesterday.

Here's a shot of the tops and bottoms of all the acorns ... the mystery nuts are in the center.
I'm still leaning towards acorns, y'all.

Seeing the chestnuts side-by-side with the mystery nut makes it all the clearer:
To me, anyway.  But I have the benefit of being right here with them, too!  Perhaps they're a hybrid?  It's not a tree in the wild ... it's a planned, planted tree in a high-trafficked subdivision common area.  (Which also leads me to believe it's *not* a chestnut variety.)

We got out and about the camp yesterday afternoon.  We spotted a tree in the upper field that was just loaded with something.
Persimmons! 
It's full of them.

We also spotted some lovely wildflowers . . . 


I love this time of year.  Nature offering up it's fruits and labors.  So beautiful!

And since it's Friday and felines are the name of the game . . . here's an oldie but a goodie from my files . . .
Raccoon vs. cat.  That coon's back arched just like a cat's ... I'm pretty sure the coon won squatting rights, too! As per usual, I'll be linking up with Sarah's Feline Friday!

And, if you've hung in with me this long, here's a sneak peak to let you know I've not completely ignored my sewing room . . .
More to come soon!!

Happy Friday!

15 left a comment . . .:

Mary@QuiltGenius said...

One of the mysteries looks like a Buckeye nut.

Paula said...

You have done some good research. After looking at your examples I am also leaning towards acorn of some type.
Hopefully you solve this mystery before we all go nuts! LOL!
Hugs

Momof3girls said...

I have never seen chestnuts up close, so would have no idea what they were if I were to find some. I love how they are enclosed in the prickly stuff. I've never seen anything like that before.

Can't wait to see what you are going to make next.

Janet O. said...

You sure did a lot of work to solve this mystery. Hope someone can clear things up when they see all of your examples.
Look the coon vs. cat photo.
I'm anxious to see what you are doing with those great fall prints in what looks like hexies. : )

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think what you have found is a Chinese Chestnut - the hulls have that 'fringy' look like what you show.

big B said...

Hmmm...what a mystery! At first I thought it looked like a chestnut but not after seeing your side by side comparison picture! Do you think it could be an acorn from the sawtooth oak? I did a google image search and it looks like yours.
-Kim

Jean(ie) said...

I know jack squat about trees and nuts, other than the stuff in snickers bars...LOL!

I see some fall fabric there... Looks like some hexie love...

Teresa in Music City said...

Love mysteries!!! It will be fun to see what these beauties really are :*) Looks like your walk in the woods was a lovely one - I sure did enjoy it! And that looks like hexies peeking out in that picture.... can't wait to see what you've been up to :*)

Lea said...

THe two both have "spikes".. Oh my, maybe you discovered a new species of nut! :)

Melissa Bishop said...

I can hardly wait to get to heaven and eat of the fruit and other foods waiting for us there. I'm sure there will be all sorts of things we have never seen before and it will all taste way better than what we have to eat down here. I am so ready for the table of the, Lord!!

Missy Shay said...

I'm always scared a racoon might hurt my cats. I would keep the nuts and take them to a local nursery and ask them! LOL

Barbara F. said...

Daneesey, your "mystery" nuts are hazelnuts! Also known as filberts!! It is what they make the chocolate spread Nutella out of. My mother loved them, I did as a kid too. xo

Jackie said...

Your big nuts in your top picture are Buckeyes and that are not for humans to eat. Best to leave them for the animals

Sarah said...

Hola Amigita! I'm playing blog catch-up, as usual. I still need to read your other posts to see if the nut delimma has been solved - oh wait another comment says they are hazelnuts. Nutella rules at my house! Interesting FF photo you shared...I'm not sure how I would have expected to win in that battle...

Chris Moon said...

That mystery nut seems to be from a saw tooth oak, I've just been puzzling over the same thing as I compile a list of trees we have on the property.