Tuesday, September 04, 2012

sparkly threads and birthday candles . . .

Yesterday was the perfect stay-at-home stitching kind of day!  I made good progress on my color theory blocks . . . 
And got the last part of the lesson traced out and picked my flosses and am nearly finished with the stitching, too.

I also got the spiral traced onto my pretty metallic batik for my mat.  One of my sweet bloggy friend, Cathy, made the comment that she liked what I'd done with it ... that I should let the fabric, "be the star".  And that got me thinking.  

Originally I'd thought that I'd quilt it in the silver or the silver shimmer.  But if the fabric was the star of the show, would the silver quilting thread compete?  Did I want the quilting to stand out or did I want it so melt into the fabric, so to speak?

There was only one way to find out.  Quilt a sample!  I took a section off the end of the FQ, backed it with some muslin and a leftover piece of batting, and pulled out six different spools of thread . . . 
You probably can't see the results as nicely as I can, but I'm glad I did it.  The first two it's hard to tell a difference between.  The first is a silver metallic tinted with pink then blue . . . 

And the second is the plain metallic silver . . .

The third is an opalescent shimmer . . . 

The fourth is invisible thread (I did double the lines in this one) . . . 

The fifth is the polyester silver . . . 

And the last one is the holographic shimmer, which I threw in just for fun . . .
It cracks me up how much green is in that one ... and the opalescent, as well!

As I said, I'm glad I went through the exercise.  I think I know what my preference is, but I'd welcome any feedback.  I'll probably let Todd be the one to make the final call on it!!

I also finished up my Magic Needlecase challenge a couple of days ago and wanted to share it:
Another one of my StitchMAP challenge projects!  It was fun to do.

Today?  Today we celebrate the 25th anniversary of my darling son's birth.  He's grown into such a handsome and godly young man -- not to mention he's a terrific husband and daddy.  I'm very proud of him!
Happy birthday, James!

And happy Tuesday to the rest of y'all!!

:)

7 left a comment . . .:

racheld said...

And Happy Tuesday to YOU, as well!!

And a Happy Birthday to your James-what a wonderful time of life, and it sounds as if he has it well in hand and on the perfect path.

All those stitches and threads just boggle me, like all the different shades of carmine and azure in the paintbox---I'm such a non-artist at anything, and just thinking of "theory"---color, music, scientific---that makes me feel so humble and grateful for those of you who have the talents in all those fields.

We're still soggy from the weekend rain---we'd postponed my birthday Lawn Tea from this past Sunday to this coming one, and about three o'clock, as we were driving through the downpour, I was thinking, "What if it had been TODAY? We'd all have had to troop into the house with our teacups and plates." I could just see us all huddling beneath the tent like Betsy's Wedding.

Much to do in the coming days, and I'll think of you there, quietly contemplating over your colors and stitches.

rachel

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats on your win over at Teresa's blog.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely threads and I like them all but the real green. And Happy Birthday to the hansome young man.

Jean(ie) said...

James is a cutie... Happy birthday!
Any color but green works well.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful little needle case!
I think in the photos all of the threads except the green look good. Curious which one you prefer, since you can see them in person.

Susan said...

Happy birthday to James! My baby's birthday is tomorrow...Travis James will be 27.

Sarah said...

What a handsome young man!!
I don't think any of the thread choices were bad but the invisible was the least "there" so I think you made the right choice.