Saturday, September 01, 2012

it's here, it's here . . . !!

I was so excited when I woke up this morning and realized that not only is it September ... which means the beginning of fall (YAY!) ... but it's also the first day of Barbara Brackman's new block of the week, Grandmother's Choice!  

Fittingly, the first block was ... Grandmother's Choice!  I got busy and picked out my fabrics for today's block.
I thought picking the fabrics was going to be the toughest part of this block.  I was SO wrong.  LOL!

I got all my pieces cut and laid them out just to see what it would look like . . .
So pretty!  Then I got busy stitching.

Just as I was thinking to myself how nice it looked and how careful I'd been with my cutting and measuring and piecing, and just as I was getting ready to stitch the last third of the block on, it suddenly hit me . . . 
WHOOPS!

So much for precision and attention to detail, huh?  Out came the seam ripper.  Okay, ready to stitch ... no biggie ... all better!
Or not.  Oh the humanity!  (Really, I've always thought that line should be, "Oh the humility!")  At least the second time I caught it before I pressed it!  

*Sigh*  Let's try this AGAIN.  And do you know, I almost turned it wrong again?  I was really struggling with the placement of that last corner block!  But finally, I got it . . .
I love how this blocks looks and I'm falling more and more in love with these fabrics as I put them together and use them. 

So, have you put together your Grandmother's Choice block yet?!

I also played around a bit with an idea for a fun little table topper -- something in the way of my Candy Corn topper or my Holly Jolly topper. 
I definitely want to use apples ... but do I stop there or do I add apple cores and worms?  That makes it really whimsical!
Hmmmm . . . 
Or maybe just apples!  We'll see -- I need to play around with this a bit more.  If it's just the apples, they'll need to be a little bigger!

On a final note . . . after all my picture taking this morning . . . I hooked the camera up to the laptop and proceeded to delete all my photos (accidentally, of course).  NO!  Am I having a day or what?!  Then I remembered something my son-in-law had shared with me when I was having all the woes with my other hard drive . . .  Recuva -- a free file recovery program.  (Because files off the camera don't delete to your recycling bin, they just disappear.)  I quickly installed and ran it and Bingo! my files were restored in less than five minutes.  Whew!  That program's a keeper!

Happy first day of September!!

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh geesh! Thanks for the reminder - and I even have had the button up for so long. I haven't even pulled fabric - although that's not a problem here! Very pretty first block. And I like the mix of apples, cores, and worms!

Cathy said...

Oh oh, I think I'm in trouble......I love the concept of the block a week. I think you just hooked me in. I love your block, and got a really good giggle from the "oops". I've done that before, many times. I just might have to go over there, get the instructions and work on that block before going to work. And, I really like the whimsical design of the apples and apple cores and the worms.

Melissa Bishop said...

I'm so glad you stuck with it. It is beautiful!

Janet O. said...

Very pretty block, Denise. This sounds like my adventure with the Barrister's blocks last night. I will not be joining this BOW. I've committed to Lori's next SAL, and I told myself that was it for now!

Momof3girls said...

The block is beautiful! I'm partial to apples also, but think the works look cute too!

Rosa said...

Wow,it`s wonderful.Yes,your fabrics too,beautiful.

Mary said...

I got to use my 'Frogger' a lot Thursday night. I know the feeling of Rip-it, Rip-it, Rip-it!

LuAnn said...

Oh I love this block and your fabrics are wonderful. Nice fussy cutting. This block is a new one to me so I'm headed over to Barbara's blog to see what it's all about.

Teresa in Music City said...

Very sweet block! I will enjoy watching them all come to life :*)

Lee said...

I love your block, very nice, even if it did give you fits of humility ;)

I like the worms & cores along with your apples, not sure why, just adds that much more interest.

Nice to know about that free file recovery progrom. I'll have to make sure my hubby knows about it too, but then, maybe he already does.

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks like you had quite the adventure sewing up your first block! Too funny! (when it's someone else!)
I can't wait to sew mine and hope it turns out as lovely as yours!

Kate said...

So that was your block in Flicker. I do really like how you fussy cute the little bouquets in the little squares. You must have had block gremlins trying to help you out Saturday.

Sarah said...

I love the second pic with the cores and worms for a table topper. The 3 apples are cute as well but I picture them more of a wall hangar for a narrow space. Your GC block is gorgeous in those fabrics!