Friday, September 28, 2012

talking up a storm . . .

I had the opportunity, on Tuesday evening, to participate in #talknt aka Talkin' Tuesdays.  For those of you who aren't familiar, it's a twitter chat event hosted by Cara at Cara Quilts.  It's a two hour period on Tuesday nights (and a #talknt2 on Tuesday afternoons, now, as well) where a variety of quilters get together and chat.  
There's generally a sponsor and folks can link up on the Talkin' Tuesdays blog to win prizes.  It's fast moving and can be overwhelming at first, but I've participated quite a number of times and it's a lot of fun, too.  Cara has a set of questions and so, among the general chatter and bonhomie, there's also structured discussion ... some of which can get *very* interesting.

This past Tuesday night, the one of the questions tackled the subject of "critique" on blogs.  Evidently some bloggers have had horrible experiences with folks opining in comments some hurtful things about the blog owner's quilt(s)/projects.  As if the 'safety' of being online allowed one to say whatever, without regard for another's feelings.  It rather blew my mind.  I'm wondering what you all think? Does posting your work online automatically invite critiques/opinions?  I've never had anyone say anything mean, hurtful or ugly on anything I've posted.  Maybe I'm just lucky?  I've asked for opinions before, and have gotten them--but never in a mean-spirited way.  The whole discussion was both eye-opening and thought-provoking and made me *very* glad for the circle of blogging friends and quilters I find myself in.  I do expect everyone likes everything I do -- we're all different and have different tastes and preferences (not to mention skills).  But respect is crucial to successful community.   :)

Yesterday was an Ellie day!!  But since today is Feline Friday, it was also a Leia day!  LOL!  We had Ellie on the floor playing . . . 
Evidently Leia keeps pretty close tabs on the baby.
I had to take two, it just cracked me up.  I love the oh-so-serious look on Ellie's face, and the splayed-leg look of Leia.

Joc and I decided that if Ellie looked darling in the Raggedy Ann wig, then . . .
Yup!  Leia wants to be Raggedy Ann, too!!!
Not.  Make sure you head over to Sarah Did It! and check out the rest of the felines this Friday!

And later, it was all about some sweet potatoes . . . 
YUMMY!
And then some yogurt!
Ho ho ho!!  And happy Friday!

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My mother taught me that if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all. I'd never criticize someones work on their blog. I'd be hard pressed to say something in person, even if they asked me to. Nice is always better than nasty.

Sarah said...

Thanks for coming over for Feline Friday! I love Leia hanging over the end of the chair arm. I also love the yogurt face. It's really a got milk ad! There is a new facility dedicated near where I live for making yogurt - they are propping it up as supporting the farmers cuz my county has more cows than peeps and the price if milk is killing their business.

I have never had any mean comments on my quilts either - I assume people just keep them to themselves, even when I ask opinions. I think the most I've ever left for someone would be to move a block in the layout cuz it's too close to something of the same. I can't imagine being mean to someone...

Melissa Bishop said...

I have had some weird-o's visit my blog and make harsh & untrue accusations toward me and my blog. I also had a lady criticize the fabric on my cabbage rose sofa. Obviously not to her taste but for some reason, there are people out there who think the sun & moon rise & set on their opinion & that they are some how obligated to share it even when not asked. Even when you burst their bubble & tell them they are wrong, they do not see it so I have decided not to get into discussions with the crazy people on the internet! There are SO MANY! lol
It really is an eye opener into human character to see all these people who think their behavior is normal (it is so not normal). I can always see it coming too. It starts out, 'I don't mean to be; rude (of course you do or you would have worded things more carefully) mean (why else are you writing if not to be mean?) etc. Sentences beginning like that are always hurtful and I just do not read the rest of what was written.
Joan Rivers might think that if you can't say something nice you should write a book, but I prefer the old adage of keeping one's mouth shut if you cannot say what needs to be said with love.
Sorry for the long reply. I am now stepping off of my soap box. Cute kitty & baby pics!

Janet O. said...

Leia looks anything but amused by having Ellie around to steal the limelight. Such a funny pose on the furniture!!
I've never had a mean comment on my blog, and I've never left one, but I know the anonymity of being online seems to give some people the feeling that anything goes. So sad.

Mary said...

I hardly noticed Leia on the couch, had to do a double take. I am glad I haven't had any hurtful comments left. (knock on wood). Somedays when I get No Comments, or lose a follower, I wonder if I have offended someone with my posting. I love to read my most loyal commenters comments. You and Janet O always have something nice to say~! Happy last week-end of September!

Missy Shay said...

My Boots likes to sit like that too! She makes a great babysitter!

Jean(ie) said...

I try to look at each project objectively. I guess from former art history training I learned how to critique artwork that I wasn't fond of. I always look for the positive.

I guess that the funny thing is I haven't seen any handi-work that was a gross failure on any blog I've seen so far!

As for me, I've learned to take the "quilt police" lightly. My art is for me. Not them.

Jean(ie) said...

Dang, that was blunt... Let me leave with something to smile about.

Ellie concentrating on those sweet taters. She sure is an intense eater! Don't you want to know what she was thinking at the moment?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The nice thing about chatrooms, discussion sites and TV - if you don't like it, you can turn it off. I don't do any of those things because you know there are those 'superiors' - who needs it - I have my mother for that. Love the ho-ho-ho yogurt photo!!

Lee said...

Yep, I think ya' got a little "sweet 'tator' there in that li'l Miss Ellie - and Miss Leia, well maybe she just needs a different hair style - like 'buns' on the sides? Hehe.

I think posting your work online DOES invite some critiquing, but even if one doesn't like it at all, or sees flaws or mistakes, by all means, if they feel they MUST say something, it should always be done with a spirit of love and if at all possible, privately. I think there are just some folks out there though that feel the need to be 'mean' - and all one needs do is read comments to just about any news article to see that, and it's really really sad and heart-breaking too. I can only think their lives must be awfully miserable, hopeless, unfulfilled or filled with... ok, I'll get off that soap box and just say, 'meanies' need prayer too, and probably lots of it :)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've never had anyone be ugly Denise - but I have heard of those who've experienced that. I'm not sure what prompts someone to do that but like an earlier commenter I think they need lots of prayer...after a kick in the pants. :) blessings, marlene

Lea said...

Ellie is such a sweetheart. An angel to a home :) Leia looks like a flying squirrel ready to take off from the sofa. So cute she deserves to own the Friday!

I agree with you, we can't please everyone. Not everyone will like what we do or how we do it. But respect is needed to maintain a successful community, especially if you are all up to one common interest.

Momof3girls said...

It looked like Leia was about to pounce on Ellie. lol

I think if you don't like something on someone's page, you should keep your mouth shut. It's their page and they have every right to post exactly what they want and when they want. People aren't respectful anymore. If you don't like what you see, don't comment. Just because it says leave a comment, doesn't mean you have to. ;)

Kate said...

I had to look hard to see Leia. What a character! Ellie just makes me smile. She wears lunch so well.

I've never had anyone be mean in a comment. I always look for something positive if I'm going to leave a comment. If I can't be positive, then I don't leave a comment (some days that has more to do with how I feel than the blog I'm reading). But as we are a society that values free speech, I do think when we put ourselves out there, like in a blog, we have to be prepared for someone to excercise their right to disagree. However, I'm within my rights to ignore, respond to, or delete a comment posted on my blog if I don't like it.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I have not personally experienced such critical comments, but I know many bloggers have. It makes me very sad, but I do see a lack of respect in society as a whole these days.
Sweet Ellie has such wise eyes and Leia looks as if she is ready to pounce into action should the situation warrant it.