Sunday, September 09, 2012

life is good ... and stash report #36 . . .


Well.  I sure did put a halt to my "no added stash" run.  Ah well!  It really doesn't hurt my feelings too badly!!  ;)

Used/donated this week: .5 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 28.75 yards
Purchased/added this week: 26 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 137.25 yards
Net used/donated for 2012: -108.5 yards

Don't ask.  What's the line?  Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.  Hahaha!  As per usual, I'm linking up with Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times for the weekly stash reporting.

Now on to 'more funner' things.  Like this week's Grandmother's Choice block.  It was a real challenge for me and *very* much outside of my quilting comfort zone. It was curves, Y-seams, and templates.  All in one block -- the Amethyst.  
It's a gorgeous block, but really, the templates had me worried.  I've seen lots of quilts I liked, only to look at the pattern and see templates -- and high-tail it away from that quilt pattern as fast as I could!  I don't know why . . . especially after playing with them today . . . but there it is.
There was a lot of confusion (noted in both the comments on the blog and on the Flickr site, too) about the printing of the pdf Barbara had provided for the template.  I think--after pulling the same block up in EQ (by another name, the Priscilla)-- that I figured out what the discrepancy was.  I won't go into it here (unless you really just have to know, in which case I'll e-mail), but I ended up using the template to cut my center square as well, instead of measuring it out to the dimensions provided.  I think that was the best decision -- and my block measured a perfect 8.5" square, so I'm good to go.
I love how my two little blocks look together!  Only forty-seven more to go!  I also finished and turned in my stitcheries for lesson three ... almost finished with my "optional" fourth stitchery -- then I can assemble Theoretically!

Todd brought in the mail today and we had received a very *special* little squishy!
Awwwww!
Isn't that so sweet?  Blue seems to be his "go to" color!
It goes on the refrigerator.  Sawyer gets *so* excited when he visits and sees his artwork on my refrigerator!  It's almost as darling as receiving his special mail in the first place!

And a Happy Grandparent's Day to all of you to whom it applies!

This morning, after attending Sunday School at our church, we're headed to Courageous Church for their launch service.  
This is the church start that Jocelyn, Jason and Ellie are a part of and of.  They've put in a LOT of hard work and effort to be ready for this morning; should be exciting!

Happy Sunday!

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Kate said...

Sometimes you just have to refresh the stash. It's hard week after week to not get at least a bit new here and there.

Love your GC blocks. I used the templates from EQ, which worked out OK. Like you I'm no fan of template sewing. I'm hoping she doesn't do too many more of those this year.

Teresa in Music City said...

Hahahah! I know the feelign! "How am I going to explain this in my stash report?" LOL!!! That's why I changed my report to the Stash Enhancement Report... no explanations needed :*)

Will be praying for the success of the Courageous Church meeting! And ongoing success too :*)

Cathy said...

I love your blocks together. You wouldn't even know we were using the same fabrics to do ours, they look so completely different.

Karin said...

Such pretty blocks, but like you, I run at the sight of templates and set in seams will make me wince. I'm so proud of you for being courageous and slaying the template dragon. The resulting block is just wonderful! Yay for stash enhancement! I wanna seeeee! (said in my best 5-yr old voice). And precious mail like that certainly does deserve to be center stage!

Jean(ie) said...

I'm trying to learn templates (Farmer's Wife). Of course, I haven't ventured a whole lot (still have a kajillion squares to go.)

Enjoy today!!!!

Barbara F. said...

I like the new page, D, looks good. Or has it been like this for a while?! It must be very exciting and rewarding to see their hard work come to fruition with CC. Have a blessed day and week! xo

SweetPepperRose said...

Very nice looking block!

Sarah said...

thanks for the warning on the GC#2 block. I had added it to my EQ file yesterday (and picked a batike) but can't print until I get to work tomorrow. I was thinking of paperpiecing it... but maybe templates would be better. Sawyers card is adorable :)

Quilt Hollow said...

I think you have a great looking block there! When I first learned to quilt is was with cereal box templates and hand piecing....I rarely if ever use a template anymore.

Beth Probasco said...

Hey, if you are going to add to your stash, you might as well do a fantastic job of it!!! LOL
Your block looks great. When I started quilting in the stone age, all I used was templates. They were so slow to mark and cut out. Yaaaaa - for the rotary cutter.