Thursday, September 13, 2012

in the pink . . .

I didn't end up doing anything with my autumn leaves yesterday ... my wholecloth project was sitting there looking at me woefully, wondering when I was going to give it my attention.  So that's what I took to Joc's.  I'm *so* glad I did!  Last night I finished the last stitch in the center section, took off the hoop and the sprayed off my guide marks (uh, most of them, anyway) and . . . 
Ta-dah!  I didn't compress this first picture so you can click on it and really get a look at the quilting on it.  (I mean, if you want to!)  Here's the back:
And here's a closeup of the floral design -- you can see a little better in this picture that I used a variegated pink on the flowers and variegated green on the leaves (I didn't compress this one, either):
Now to decide what going next!  The center design takes up 18" - that leaves me 9" on every side to still fill!

Ellie and I had fun yesterday ... she was in a particularly good and happy mood yesterday.  When I first came in, she not only *grinned* when she saw me, she even reached her arms out for me!  Haha -- but then I took advantage and scooped her up ... and she wasn't quite sure she was ready to be parted from her mommy!  
We played in the exersaucer again yesterday.  Good times -- so many fun things to touch and that make noise!
And when all else fails, Neesey's finger always makes for an interesting diversion:

Ellie and I also went for a walk yesterday afternoon.  We looked at the different trees and their leaves and touched their trunks.  We came upon a tree that had some interesting "fruits" . . .
I have *never* seen anything like this before.  Here's a closer look:
I wasn't sure what it was, even when I turned them around.
Not until I found a couple separated.  Well . . . acorns!!  I'll be.  Truly I've never seen this variety before.  But I grabbed a whole BAG full!  I can definitely see craft potential with these guys!

I'm linking up with Katherine's Corner and Thursday's Favorite Things blog hop.  Have a sewingly beautiful day!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Paula said...

My oh my but Ellie is growing fast! So glad you enjoy every moment with her.
I believe those nuts are Chestnuts.
Your quilting is fabulous.
Hugs

Teresa in Music City said...

What a beautiful girl, and such a sweet face :*) I'm so happy for you that you can enjoy seeing her grow up.

I've never seen anything like those acorns either! Paula says they're chestnuts? Is the coating soft like grass? It looks like it might dry up and come off when the nut matures? How interesting!!!

Melissa Bishop said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch%C3%A2taignier_120807_1.jpg
Yes, they are chestnuts. The above is the wiki link to their photo on a tree. Oh, wow. Are you going to roast them or craft them? lol So much potential!

Missy Shay said...

I would have had no idea what those were either! LOL

Jean(ie) said...

Great quilting! I gotta say that Ellie has the most expressive face...especially her eyes. You can tell she loves her neesey!

big B said...

Hi Denise - your quilting is gorgeous! Looks like you spent a wonderful day - Ellie is so sweet!
-Kim

Janet O. said...

Lovely quilting, Denise. Nice choice of threads.
Ellie is so cute. They love to gnaw on a finger, don't they?
Looks like chestnuts to me.

Cathy said...

I LOVE the quilting you are doing. There are a lot of posts from people lately about doing some hand quilting. I have an old project from years ago that I am getting moved to take out. Except I have a deadline for those stockings. Maybe after I get all of them done, I'll get back to doing some hand quilting. Ellie is just so sweet, and looks like a happy little girl, especially with her Neesey. Avery had one of those exersaucer things, and he loved it.

Connie said...

Beautiful quilting Denise and little Ellie is getting so big! I had to laugh as I envisioned "you" and Ellie playing in the exersaucer!!!!

Karin said...

Wow Denise! Your quilting is just gorgeous! What thread do you use for your hand quilting? Looks like someone has found the perfect teething ring! :) She is such a doll! Isn't it fun to watch their personalities emerge?

Lea said...

The quilt design is elegant! Ellie is adorable. Such a cutie. I can't wait to see your acorn project :)

Katherines Corner said...

what a cutie pie! Those acorns are awesome. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Your participation helps make it a success.I'm sorry I am slow to visit this week as I am fighting a nasty head cold and my time on the computer has been limited.Wishing you a beautiful day .