Thursday, September 20, 2012

bits and pieces . . .

After all the work of the past two days, I kind of took yesterday off.  Well, I did finally get Mr. Owlie in the hoop and start the hand stitching process . . . 
He looks funny here because only one of his eyes is outlined!  I also decided I needed to re-do the Mayflower Basket block for the anniversary quilt.
It was the first time I've made a basket block, and the pattern came to us in black and white.  I should have looked up sample basket blocks before picking fabrics.  Needless to say, I totally *dislike* the current block and there's no point in putting together a quilt with a block I can't stand. LOL! 

Sawyer and Kim came over for a visit early yesterday afternoon.  As we headed out to explore the afternoon, I found these at the bottom of the steps . . .
And to give you an idea for comparison, here's one of the black walnuts next to a relatively large 3/4"-1" acorn.
It's about the size of a tennis ball ... only *solid*.  Now, take a guess at how fun it is to hear the black walnuts hit the RV roof!  LOL!!

First we found some very late bloomers over in the flower bed at the pavilion . . .

Aren't they pretty?

Sawyer was busy collecting sticks.
Trying to get a shot of this "all boy" boy standing still is nearly impossible.  I thought if I asked him to show my his sticks, I'd get a good face shot.
Oh well.  Back to the business of sticks and stumps!

We got to the playground and he ran straight to the slide.  And right up the steps he went.  I kept waiting for him to stop and want to get down, but no, on up he went!  I admit, I was holding my breath just a bit.
It was the first time I've seen him manage the slide all by himself!  Go Sawyer!!!
He came down to my cheers and was quite excited - I think he was pretty pleased with himself.  Then he said, "Your turn, Neesey!  You do it!"
So this is a picture of Sawyer at the bottom of the slide cheering for me! Hahaha!  This ol' grey mare still has a little kick in her!  (But please don't tell my husband I did this. *grin*)

We did swings (notice that Roll Tide tee shirt) . . . 
And monkey bars, too . . .
And even took a little visit to the creek and went over the bridge . . .
which involves a LOT of stomping and jumping and squeals.

Tonight is our regular guild meeting and our guest speaker tonight is Mary Lou Weidman.  I'm so excited!  If you're not familiar with the Queen of "Hoochy Mama" quilting, check out her website HERE and her blogs, HERE and HERE!  Since the board takes the speaker to dinner, I'll be having dinner with her, as well!  Yay!  Pics and more tomorrow!!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Momof3girls said...

Someone should have taken your picture going down the slide! :)

I love the owl! It's so adorable!

Mary said...

I agree on the picture of you on the slide. Fun times with Sawyer! Sounds like a good night with Guild. I'll wait for the pictures.

big B said...

I love the owl stitching and the flowers around him are so pretty! Those black walnuts are huge! Looks like you had such a fun day.
-Kim

Barbara F. said...

Sawyer is the cutest little guy, he is keeping you young, girlfriend. Ha! Looking forward to seeing the owl all done. xo

Jean(ie) said...

Whatever you do with those walnuts, don't take them apart with your bare hands. They have a fairly permanent dye in them (just in case you didn't know).

The pics of Sawyer with his stick are a hoot. Only boys could turn a stick into a toy.

Karin said...

Is Sawyer for rent? I miss my stick picker-uppers. They grew up and left. :( I have a slide! And cookies! And Neesey can come too! :)

Melissa Labella said...

So, how did your ankle hold up to the slide? haha. I'm sure your walnuts are as pleasant as my neighbor's barking dog at 3 a.m. You can't leave a note on the tree to knock it off though! So how long do walnuts keep. My step mom sent a bunch last year that I found when unpacking the garage. I am afraid to touch them after her horror stories of black hands after getting the outer shell off all of them for us :0) And I love the little owl too.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

What fun for the two of you and making treasured memoeies to boot!!!

P.S. Love the owl!!

:) Carolyn

Connie said...

Sawyer just keeps getting cuter and cuter! Your little owl reminds me of Simon our cat that looks like he has eyeliner........around one eye!

Those are some big walnuts and I had to laugh about your remark about them hitting the RV. My brother has his parked under 3 walnut trees and they fall all the time.......crazy!

Lea said...

Sawyer is an active cute boy! I love all the photos! I also like the pink flower. By the way, I noticed owl's eye, too! :)

Sarah said...

I knew there was something off with the owl but couldn't place it until I read that it was his eye.
There is a walnut tree right next to my driveway and a few have hit my car - I can just imagine what it's like when they hit the RV that you are in.

Kate said...

Sawyer looks to be all boy. Way to go with taking a slide with him.