Tuesday, September 18, 2012

it's a good thing i married a firefighter . . .

Cuz y'all . . . yesterday I was HOT!!!!  I mean my sewing machine was SMOKIN'!!!!  My fingers were just a'BLAZING!!!!  I was setting fabric on FIRE!!!  

Okay, okay, enough with the imagery.  But I do have a reasonable right to be a little excited.  I got in four finishes yesterday!  Whoohooo!!  

First finish was my little Leaves and Acorns topper . . . 

Next I quilted the cute little hexie topper . . . 
I haven't named it yet.  I quilted around the outside, the stitched in the ditch around in the six, then offset stitched in the center hexie.  I'm very pleased with this sweet little project!!  :)

Then, on a whim, I rummaged through my sewing basket, found some very thin, black binding, and finished up my Winter's Shimmer topper.  
I was just a teeny, tiny bit concerned about how the black would look on the reverse side, but I shouldn't have worried:
I'm really pleased to have this one finished!

And then finally I quilted and bound my Theoretically piece.  
I'm really pleased with how this one turned out and it will serve as a great reminder for all the work I put into my Color Theory course!!  The button in the center is a nod to the last exercise of the last lesson ... where I had to "make do with what I had".  I quilted it with a metallic thread.  That's a nod to me.  LOL!

In addition to all that, I made breakfast, lunch, *and* dinner, did three loads of laundry, and got dressed -- which, before you laugh, is a pretty big deal in the scope of things!

And my final act of the day was to mark the next segment on my wholecloth quilt.  I know it's hard to see, but it's a circle of hearts.
I'm really excited about quilting this design, because it's one of those that's a continuous pattern.  You never have to move your needle.

Y'all ... this "finishing" is just so freeing!!  I feel caught-up . . . I feel complete . . . I feel accomplished . . .

I feel justified in starting a new project today!!

:)

26 left a comment . . .:

Karin said...

You know, when we walked outside last night, I thought I smelled smoke! :) I have an idea! Let's all send our UFO's to Denise! :) Girl, you make me look bad - my little Fall topper is still unquilted and here you just whip out multiple amazing projects in a single day. Go ahead, live dangerously, start TWO new projects!

Momof3girls said...

Great job!!!! I so love the hexie topper! Those fabrics are so beautiful. I'm going to look today and see if I can find some pretty fall fabrics to make one or maybe several. Thanks for the inspiration!

I can't wait to see what you will be making next.
Happy Sewing!

Judy D in WA said...

You stinker! The title scared me. ;)

WOW! Didn't it feel great to get so many great finishes in one day??

Lisa said...

Beautiful work I love your wholecloth design

Jean(ie) said...

Dang woman... bottle up that energy and sell it! You could make a fortune!!!!!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Good for you! You even have that sound of 'fun sewing' in your post.

Barbara F. said...

Good for you! Everything looks great. I was a little nervous about the title, I was like "Oh no.....". xo

Cathy said...

WOOHOO for you!! All your projects look fabulous! I love the feeling of getting things finished, too. You rock!! And yes, the title had me a bit worried at first, too.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Way to go girl!!

Paula said...

You are on FIRE! Whoa! Isn't it fun to just spend the day sewing?
All your accomplishments are wonderful. I love the hexie topper. But them I am a hexie addict.
You rock!
Hugs

Janet O. said...

All those wins lately have fueled your fire!!
Look at you go! No stopping you...from starting a new project. Love how you just slipped that in there at the end. Congrats on such a productive session. Wish I could take some of what you are taking. : )

Mary said...

Great to have 4 finishes in one day. You deserve to Brag! I know all about those days of staying in my jammies.

Editfolt said...

Nice work!:)

Vicki said...

That's one productive day!! I think that getting dressed is optional on days like that... and now to see what's next!

Melissa Bishop said...

You were busy! I know what you mean about the getting dressed part. When I reach a certain point of being, 'finished' with extra hair and make up done up my husband asks me, 'where are you going?'. lol

Connie said...

You are just too funny! I started reading this and thought.......gee I didn't know your husband was a firefighter.............got me!! Congrats on all the great finishes and your Theoretically piece is beautiful!

Kate said...

Wow, what a great day! Congratulations on all your finishes!

Sue Daurio said...

Same here, I was wondering why you were so happy to be married to a firefighter. Then I though after all that work she needs to be married to a masseuse!! I was tired just reading everything you finished. 4 finishes in one day AND cooked three meals AND laundry. Man, no way I could have gotten dressed on a day like that. I'm tired now :_)

Cyn ;-) said...

OMGosh, but you are impressive! Congrats on getting so much done. Did you clone yourself or just eliminate sleep? lol

Melissa Labella said...

oooh my head is spinning. How did you do all of that in a day? I guess it helps that your day wasn't interrupted at 2:30 when school got out, etc, not that I don't love having my little leaches, er I mean angels, home :0) I am uber-impressed with all of that quilting and binding. You will have lots for show and tell this week. Great Job, they all look great.

Theresa said...

What a wonderfully productive day - love your hexie topper, it's gorgeous.

Deanna said...

Whew! You are one amazingly productive sewer.

Lea said...

Wow, congratulations! You finished a lot and each one is really beautiful! Love them all :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Woohoo! Great finishes! Just think what else you could have done if you hadn't cooked or got dressed ; )

Gene Black said...

WOW! I hope you didn't melt any needles while you were burnin' up with productivity.
Those look great!

Sarah said...

You really were smokin'! Congrats on sew many finishes!