Monday, September 03, 2012

what's NOT on the design wall . . .

I think I've got everything but the kitchen sink up on the "wall" today!  First of all, the storms came and went yesterday, leaving not much more than a few downed limbs and lots of rain in their wake.  Thank you to all who were concerned for us!  Today we've again got about an eighty percent chance of rain today, but so far, no severe storms are in the forecast!

All that being said . . . 
Happy Labor Day!

I plan on "laboring" the day away in the quilt bunk.  Here's what I've got going . . .

I need to put together lesson four of my Color Theory class.  Here's the EQ mock-up of part one:
It's playing with the different types of color schemes.  My fabrics are all cut and ready to stitch into blocks.  
This will go together fast.  I decided that I'd like to make it a piece I can actually use, hence the topper.  The second part of the lesson involves marking on my color wheel, which I've already done.  Then the third part is taking those same color schemes to a different design.  I'm going to use something similar to one of these borders . . . 
And use that to stitch onto the outside border of my topper (which I'll stitch onto a neutral, instead of the dark border I've got pictured in the mock-up).  Really pull the lesson into one project!

Next, I've got my fabrics mostly picked for my apple topper . . .
I decided to go ahead and keep the apples cores and the worms -- they do make it fun and whimsical and that's what I want!  I'm not sure how I'll do the cores.  At first I thought I'd just put them together as a single fabric . . . but now I'm thinking I might use the polka dot red at the top and bottom, and put a tonal white or cream in the center.  The polka dots help make it feel a little more whimsical.

And then I've got to find something to do with this piece of fabric . . .
Todd has mentioned several times how much he likes it, so I want to do something with it!  When I purchased it, I had something like this in mind (I mocked this up in Publisher):
Just a simple circle, spiral quilted with silver or opalescent thread, and bound in a solid black.  I make the background brown because that's what color our table is.

I had seen a simple, but lovely mat when traveling in Virginia ... I'd really wanted to buy it, but decided it cost so much that I could make it myself for much less.  And when I came across the fabric in the LQS in Maryland, I had an Ahha! moment!  Any thoughts?  I've got two FQs of it ... perhaps use one like this, back it with a different fabric, and save the other one for something else?

Okay.  That's it for today.  I really need to get busy if I'm going to get my lesson done today -- plus I want to finish stitching the leaves on my whole cloth project -- then I'll be finished with the center and ready to mark the next design!!  Y'all head over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times . . . that's where I'm linking up today and I'm sure there are bunches of Labor Day design walls! 

Have a GREAT day!!

:)

11 left a comment . . .:

Karin said...

Goodness, dear Girl! you are making me look bad! You are so productive! :) I love your circular mat idea for that pretty frosty fabric and your apple project is going to be darling! It already makes me happy!

Teresa in Music City said...

So glad you all came through the storms just fine. I just love your color theory mockup - you know me and color :*) We are much alike in that way! You certainly have your hands full today - enjoy!!!

Connie said...

I'm glad you came through the storms okay Denise! Wow do you have a lot on your design wall! That is beautiful fabric and I like the mock up you did, how neat! Looks like you are having fun in your Color Theory class too!

Kate said...

Fun projects in the works at your place. Enjoy your day of sewing!

Jocelyn said...

The little mat is beautiful!! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Barbara F. said...

Happy to hear you guys were OK. W e had a real heavy down pour this a.m. Just cloudy now and still warm. xo

Cathy said...

I LOVE what you are doing with the apples and the worms and the fabric choices for them. I think you are right, though, that you need a cream of some sort for the apple core. And I like what you've done with that gorgeous fabric in that circle. Let the fabric be the star. And doesn't knowing some colour theory open up vast new possibilities for quilt designs? Love it!!

Janet O. said...

Glad you didn't suffer damage in the storm (so far).
More color theory--way beyond me. : )
Love your apple project ideas. Should be so cute!

Jean(ie) said...

Glad y'all made it through the weather okay. I can't wait to see the apple project!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for sharing so much, Great things going on at your place!

Sarah said...

Love those quilting designs. My fav is on the left but I am not sure how easy it would be to quilt.