Tuesday, September 11, 2012

acorns aweigh my boys . . .

Gracious.  After frantically rummaging through three drawers and finally remembering that (unlike EVERY other stencil/template I have) I may have tucked them back into the book I copied them out of, I finally found my oak leaf and acorn template!  I only got my acorns stitched up . .. 
I still need to press them out and stitch up the openings. I hope to get my leaves done later this afternoon.

I got to thinking that perhaps this might also be pretty in batik leaves . . .
What do you think? Then I thought that perhaps for the batik leaves, I could do the acorns in this brown/green combo:
Because acorns aren't just brown/brown.  And I've always loved that mossy, mottled green!

And in case you're curious, this is the book the project came from:
I've got several Art to Heart books, and I just love them.  They're such fun and filled with such cute projects!

Linking up to Connie's Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday!  

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

I was in an empty classroom (my high school students were all in morning assembly, with the rest of the school), routinely checking homework and getting tests ready for the day and listening to the news on the classroom television. When breaking news hit the screen, I stopped what I was doing and walked over to the TV to watch.  I'll never forget seeing the image of the first plane hitting the building -- and then watching live as the second plane flew into the other tower, cementing the fact that it was a deliberate act of terrorism.  
So before I sign off, I just want to take a moment to remember -- and to appreciate -- that day and those who worked so hard to save lives, those who lost friends and family, and those who continue into this day to fight for the freedoms we so enjoy in this country.

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Jean(ie) said...

Bring on Autumn!

Teresa in Music City said...

Those batiks are going to make awesome leaves :*) And I really like the brown/green combo for the acorns. Much more colorful - which is what Fall is all about, right?!?

Janet O. said...

Definitely batik leaves!! Love the colors. : )
I had gone for my morning walk and had left the TV news on. Came in just as they were showing coverage of the second tower going down. Gives me chills still today!

Sarah said...

It's definitly felt like fall here this week. The ghostly pot decoration on the book cover looks pretty too. I stopped on my way to work this morning to lower the fire department flag to half-staff and I was questioned why. Unbelievable...

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Love your acorns. I too remember that day, oh so well. The skies went silent. To me it is still such a sad sad day for those who lost their lives, their families, and our nation. We are forever changed.

Mary said...

I didn't know you were a HS teacher...It is good to remember. Autumn is a time of remembering. Soon it will be Thanksgiving and those leaves and acorns will be nice then too. I was at home all alone and watching GMA when the planes hit the towers. I couldn't tear myself away from the TV reports all day as Flight 93 went down and the Pentagon was also hit. Terrorism hit on US soil.

Momof3girls said...

I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm going to make my mom a table runner with maple leaves embroidered on it. Hopefully, I'll get to start soon.

I was on my way to take my girls to a homeschool fellowship when I heard the news. I couldn't comprehend what happened, until I got back home. It was such a shock and still brings me to tears to think about it.

c. Joy said...

I saw the title of your post and now I'm humming "Anchors Away" or what ever that song is. Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Kate said...

Love your fabric choices for your autumn project.

I was at work and someone called me out of my office to watch the TV we used for training videos. I walked into the room just in time to see the second plane hit.

Lea said...

I'm looking forward to the project. You're very good with crafts. I love how you ended the post. My husband is with the USAF, I'm glad that people like you appreciate their efforts. Thanks for sharing :)