Wednesday, September 05, 2012

roundabout . . .

I'm *so* pleased with the way my round topper turned out!!  After showing the sampler piece to Todd, we both agreed that it should be quilted with invisible thread, so that the fabric could remain the 'star'!  
I love how it turned out!  I left it in a square piece to quilt, then trimmed it down when I was finished.  It was easier that way.  I'll also need to wash it as soon as it's bound, to get rid of my tracing marks!

Once the quilting thread was selected, the only other decision was what to back it with.  I like making my toppers 'reversible' (so to speak) so after ruminating through the fabrics on hand, Todd and I decided to go with this one . . .
I figure it will be pretty under my pretty glass teapot and service, come spring!  I was a little worried that the spiral quilting would be distracting on this side, but it's really not noticeable.

All I have to do now is bind it . . . anyone have any tips or suggestions for binding a round piece?

Also . . . in case you haven't heard . . . something wicked this way comes!
As in the WICKED blog hop!

I've signed up ... and my understanding is that there might be a few more slots available!  Click HERE to get the wicked scoop!!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

Your topper turned out very pretty. Smart idea to make it reversible. What color will you use for binding that you will like with both sides?

Cathy said...

Oh Denise, it looks wonderful. The invisible thread was definitely the way to go. Now all you see is that gorgeous fabric and texture. For binding it, I think you'll have to do bias binding and I'd either stick with the starring fabric, or go darker to give it a finishing edge.You did a fabulous job with keeping the spirals curving and even.

Teresa in Music City said...

Great job on your topper!!! It's wonderful! I agree with Cathy on the bias binding - you definitely need that for the curved binding. It will be hard to find a binding that compliments both fabrics, but I've found that if you keep auditioning different ones, there is usually one that works well with both.

Jean(ie) said...

That turned out great. I like that it's reversible!

Now if I can keep myself from getting distracted by other things, I'd be sewing, too! LOL!

Kris said...

Denise, your topper is DARLING!! And now you have two toppers that are completely different!!! As for binding in the round, I would suggest you cut your binding strips on the bias, that way you will have an easier time moving around the circle - the fabric stretches a bit better when cut on the bias.

Sarah said...

Where do we place bets on what your wicked block will contain? LOL!

Susan said...

Beautiful! I agree, cut you binding on the bias and you'll have no problems! Nice job!

Mary said...

Yep use a Binding on the Bias and it will just roll around those curves. Looks great!

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
StitchinByTheLake said...

How in the world did you get such perfect circles quilted? I have a topper I'd love to do that way but have no clue how to start! As for the binding you will need to cut it on the bias and it should go on like a dream. blessings, marlene

Kate said...

Love your two sided topper. The quilting looks great.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cool, we'll both be in the Wicked blog hop. I've never been in one before.