Tuesday, October 02, 2012

docs, swaps, and hops . . .

My mom's surgery went well yesterday ... they started re-hab this morning. Gracious. I chatted with her this morning and she sounded pretty good ... though she's had a little trouble finding relief from pain without nausea. Bless her heart -- I know *exactly* how that is.  I don't do well with pain meds, either.  

Speaking of needing pain meds, it's been one year since my last ankle surgery.  I can hardly believe it!  Yesterday I had a check-up appointment with my doc.  The fusion is looking great, I have good range of mobility, and the donor bone, the grafting and reconstruction are all looking good -- which pleased me beyond belief.  He did see a little arthritis connected to the tibia--when he said it, I knew exactly the spot to which he referred--for now I'll continue to deal with it with an anti-inflammatory med.  I also set a date for a hardware removal surgery . . . 
Dr. DeOrio -- my *very* confident orthpaedic surgeon.  *grin*
The x-rays show that the screw heads are really sticking out beyond the surface of the bone--one more so than the other.  When he ran his finger along the bottom of my heel and saw me jump, he agreed a surgery was definitely in order.  The recovery time is pretty quick and it's an easy, outpatient process.  In fact, they only use a local anesthesia!  (Yikes!)  November 7th it is!

I teased y'all with some photos of pretty fabrics yesterday.  Here's the quilt I'm using as the inspiration for June's baby quilt . . .
lucky little me from mamas kram
Only it will be a little bigger and instead of "lucky little me" it will say "June Madelyn ♥"!  I think it's going to be darling!!  The blue print I showed yesterday will be the back, and is a perfect compliment to the soft aqua blue on June's walls.

I received this pretty little thing in the mail . . .
It's my September doll swap quilt from Andra!  Isn't it gorgeous?!?  I'd say she pretty much pegged the neutral colors of the RV -- and the colored squares are just perfect!

And don't forget to check out all the fall Leafs Me Happy blocks!  Not sure where to start?  Let me help:
Tuesday 2

Have a GREAT day!

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Jean(ie) said...

cute doc, Denise ;-P

I'm glad you're getting that loose screw fixed. (bwahahahahahaha!). Love you girl.

That doll quilt is adorable!!!!! Simply a-dorable!

Enjoy today!

Janet O. said...

I feel for your Mom--I don't do pain meds well, either. After my recent surgery the first nausea med they gave me made it worse. Yuck. The second one they tried did the trick.
Good luck to you with the hardware removal--I know it is a little way off.
Such a cute baby quilt--and I love the little doll quilt, too!

Missy Shay said...

I'll pray the surgery goes well! I love that quilt idea, I can't wait to see it!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I don't envy your surgery, but you will certainly feel better after. Love the banner quilt and the new doll quilt is so sweet.

covnitkepr1 said...

God uses so many people and so many ways to speed our healing.

I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.. I’m your newest follower.

Lee said...

Happy your mom's surgery went well, will pray her pain eases w/o nausea-inducing meds! You are being prayed for too. Banner quilt is cute and lively & doll swap cute is very nice too, love the colors.

Melissa Bishop said...

Praise, God for the good news about your mom!

Barbara F. said...

Sorry to hear your mom had surgery, I guess I've been a little out of the loop, hope it wasn't for anything major. I will be sending you prayers for your appointment on November 7th. Glad everything else is much improved. Love the baby quilt. xo

Teresa in Music City said...

Good news all around Denise! I'm glad your mom is doing well, and that your upcoming surgery is not too terribly involved :*)

June will love her quilt - I know I certainly do :*)

Lea said...

Praying for your mom's quick recovery. Those quilts are lovely. What is the material used for the "middle layer" of quilts? Sorry I don't know quilting I had to ask. I love it when I see your projects :)

Gene Black said...

Ouch on the screw... but I am really glad to see that you are using the wonderful Dr. DeOrio. A friend of mine uses him and I have seen what a great job he does. I have also gone with Dave on an office visit and the staff in his office is just great.
I am confident you will do well!

Kate said...

Glad you Mother is doing OK. Those pain meds do a number on my stomach too.

Hope your surgery goes well and that you heal up very quickly.