Wednesday, October 03, 2012

september newfo's and science . . .

Like every other month, I forget how many new things I started until I see Barbara's post over a Cat Patches about NewFO projects.  And then I go back to see what I can dig up, and lo and behold, I *did* get my NewFO on!

I can come up with a couple of things for this past month.  First up is . . .
My simple spiral topper.  First time I've done a circular project, purposefully made it reversible, machine quilted a spiral and used bias tape for binding.  Wow -- a lot of firsts in that little mat, huh?

Next . . .
I worked on a new idea for a little apple topper.  That poor little project got waylaid by a couple of other things.  Maybe I'll finish it up...next September?? LOL!

And then . . .
My Color Theory project -- I have this hanging in my sewing room -- I really adore this!  Using the embroidered strips as my sashing was a new challenge.  And using the same block in different colorscapes was a new thing for me as well.

And finally . . . 
My very first hexie project!  This sweet little piece is now at home in Severna Park, Maryland.  Along with a a little squirrel and acorn salt and pepper shaker. This was my annual Squirrel and Acorn offering to my mom!  It got there just in time for her to open it before surgery, so she had a little happy.  Yay!

I'm really pleased that three of my four NewFOs were also finishes (which is great -- takes a lot of pressure off of October)!  And that all my quilting was machine quilting -- which has been a challenge for me.  The new "stitch in the ditch" foot that I got has made such a difference!

Be sure to head over to Cat Patches and see what other quilters were inspired to start in the month of September!!

This past Saturday, we scored free tickets to visit Sci-Quest, so Kim, James, Sawyer and I loaded up and headed out.  
How darling is this little fellow?!?!?!  :)
I would be totally remiss if I didn't share some of the fun "captures" I got from our trip.  Sawyer was totally enamored with the place.  He's still a tad young for a lot of the exhibits, but he definitely found a few that were right up his alley . . .
Or tube, as the case may be!

The xylophone was a big hit ... literally.  He really displayed a great sense of rhythm and beat! What was funny was that none of the other sets appealed to him (there were five).  He liked the clear, bell-like sounds of the steel bars.  Funnily enough, he didn't give the bongo drums more than a pat as he walked by them.  Yay for Kim!  ;)
P-u-l-l !!!
The sand art captured his attention for quite a bit.
What a precious, sweet family!!
I think this is my favorite shot of the day.  Aren't they cute?!
My heart is melting.
It was a fun morning and Sawyer is such a sweet boy ... he's growing up so fast! Two going on ten, I'm afraid. He's excited about June getting here. Should be fun to watch that family transition!

Today I'm headed to spend the day with Ellie ... so expect more cuteness here tomorrow.  It's my life -- and I'm pretty darn happy with it!

You, on the other hand, should definitely check out today's Leafs Me Happy blog hop participants. Are you loving what you've seen so far?!?  I know I certainly am!  Gosh -- I'm hoping there's something *new* left for me to show on the last day!!

Wednesday 3



:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

NewFos and finishes - that is super. My kids always loved science exhibits - gosh, mine are really grown, but he is really turning into a heart melter.

Love Bears All Things said...

Loved this post...
the hexi art is beautiful.
Mama Bear

Teresa in Music City said...

Well there's just no beating a blog post that combines fun exciting quilt projects with cute exciting grandchild photos :*) You really did have fun with your proejcts in September... I love each one! My favorite would have to be the hexies :*) And I'm with you, the last photo of Sawyer's outing is the best!

Janet O. said...

I love photos of people walking away--especially when children are involved. : )
You had a very productive September--and finishes in the bargain. You rock!!

Cathy said...

Awwwww, what a wonderful day you had!! Sawyer is just so sweet, and I agree with you about the picture of Sawyer and his daddy holding hands. It says so much in so many ways. I love all the projects you started, and got finished, too.

Jean(ie) said...

Have fun with Ellie... I get to see my grandie in a week. I'm sooo excited! It's getting me through this yucky mood I'm in!

Lee said...

You were one busy lady in September, don't fool yourself! You amaze me!

More than any other post with pix of Sawyer, this one shows how much out of that toddler stage and into little boy stage he has reached.

Sweet blessings.

Barbara said...

Love these projects. Sawyer looks like a busy boy.

Lea said...

When I saw the second photo, I was like "This is how a quilt starts?" Seeing both "raw" materials and the finished project makes me wonder if I can even complete a single one in a whole month's time. I am amazed on how you guys do it neatly with all the designs :)

Sawyer is a sweetheart! :)

Kate said...

You had a good "starter" September!

Looks like you all had fun at Sci-Quest.