Monday, October 29, 2012

wickedly wonderful boo . . .

Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo
Put 'em together and what have you got
Wickedly-Wonderful-BOO!
The Wicked Blog Hopthat is!

When I first read about the Wicked hop, my mind starting churning with possibilities . . . I finally determined that what I really wanted to do was a set of blocks that would go together in a sort of 'through the wicked window' scene.  When I stumbled across this free Simple Attic Windows pattern at Connecting Threads, it all clicked into place!  I turned to my favorite publishing software (Microsoft Publisher) and came up with this mock-up . . .
From there it was easy!  And I'm very, very pleased to share (what I consider) my wickedly fun blocks:
For my spider web, I free-handed the web, and then stitched it with six plies of
silver DMC floss.  I let my stitches get longer as I got to the base of the web,
to give it that true webby look!
I had fun with the bats ... I just knew they needed to be *purple*!
And the batik I used for the moon was marvelous, too!
This block was fun to cut out, too.  And I used fabric crayons to mark my
 details, like the jack-o-lantern face and the candle outlines.  
And you can't have a spooky window without a cat, right?  I left my cat
raw edged, and even pulled some of the horizontal threads off his back, to
make him really look like his fur was standing straight up!
But the very funnest [yes, I know that's not *really* a word] part was putting them all together. Tah-dah!!!
Through the Wicked Window

Oh, and you know, today isn't just *my* day.  I share it with several other wickedly wonderful company!  Be sure to hop on over to visit each one of their blogs and spy out their wicked creations!!

And a wickedly heartfelt shout out to Wendy and Madam Samm -- y'all have made this hop such wicked fun and you're top notch cheerleaders, too!!

Hmmmm...you know what else??  Today isn't just a day of wickedness . . . it's also a day of *wonderful* for our family!!  I hope to be able to share happy pictures of Baby June in tomorrow's blog!  I spent yesterday morning with Sawyer and have some very fun stories to share ... and I'll spend today with Jocelyn, Ellie *and* Sawyer.  The four of us are having a big sleepover party at Joc's, so I'm sure I'll have lots and lots to report the next time you hear from me!!  
Y'all have a wickedly wonderful day ... I'm sure *I* will!!

:)

69 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations grandma!!

Janet O. said...

Welcome to the new little one! Hope all involved are doing well.
Your wicked window scene is sooo cute. You did a fantastic job, Denise! It was well worth waiting to see. : )

Val said...

I love the way you designed your wall hanging. Each block looks great. Welcome to baby June.

Barbara said...

Very cute, Denise.

Marjory said...

What a wonderfully wicked little quilt. I love the process and the finished quilt.

Theresa said...

Congratualtions on the arrival of baby June. What a wonderful idea for your quilt, it looks fantastically wicked :D

mary mahoo said...

What a wicked wall hanging! Love your cat. Congrats on the baby!! Thanks for sharing with us all.

Sunshine Girl said...

This is lovely - love all of your windows and cant pick a favourite! Thanks for sharing.

Heleen Groot said...

Congratulations! I'll be back for those pictures. Love your window. Right from the creapy spider down to the scared cat! Beautiful! Just, don't show it to the baby....she might get scared!

lefuntz said...

I love that your background is nighttime sky. And the window setting! Congrats on your new arrival. Being a grandma is the reward you get for raising your kids and it is the best job in the world!

charlotte said...

It turned out marvelous. I do love the moon. And the spiderweb is terrific.

Carin said...

Ohhh I realy love you quilt, very nice how you put it together, thats great.

Rosa said...

Your wicked windows are just fabulous.Thanks for sharing!

Madame Samm said...

what a delight in your process..sew much sew...well you will see...great completed project Denise...

Abbigail said...

Love your wall hanging! So nice! I also found your cotton picking tour. I found it very interesting on the beginning of all my fabrics! thank you!
hulseybg@gmail.com

StitchinByTheLake said...

Denise it's just adorable! I know it was great fun putting this together and the children are going to love it over the years. :) blessings, marlene

Pauline said...

I like your design, it makes a great quilt.
Congratulations on the new arrival in the family.
Thanks for sharing these happy things.

Barbara F. said...

Congratulations! Baby June is here! I have been out of the loop busy with "Sandy". Blessings to all of you! xo

Barb N said...

Great Halloween blocks! I'm trying to figure out how you used Publisher for them. Did you copy and paste the pattern from Connecting Threads? I keep learning new things every day - it's good! Congrats on new baby June!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sew Cute! I love the window idea. Maybe our spiders can visit each other.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I love the attic window idea!! I couldn't find anything like that...lol. Glad you shared with us.

Leah said...

Your windows are all spectacular. Thanks for sharing!!

Just Carol said...

Oooo, so wickedly spectacular--I love that spider on the web!

Gill said...

Fabulous! I love your attic window blocks!
Thank you for sharing!

Sarah said...

Best wishes for Baby June's BIRTH day!!!! Your quilt looks fantastic.

MooseStash Quilting said...

I love it. What a great way to show off those wonderful blocks!

pinsandneedles said...

Love the attic window look and great details in each! My favorites are the wicked spider web and cat! Perfect fabric choice for the moon!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow Denise! You outdid yourself with your Wicked Window! How cute and original!!! Of course my favorite is the cat :*) And congratulations - we're all waiting for pictures of the lovely Baby June!!!

Momof3girls said...

Great job! Can't wait to see Baby June!

Kathryn Ross said...

Hi Denise! So delightful to meet you and all your doings with four blogs to keep up with and ministries, too! Bless you as you serve Him! Thanks for your good words about the storm - the Lord held us tight in His protective care and not a scratch to be had in the end. Kept power throughout and will spend today dismantling all the common sense preparations we did prior to the storm when nobody was quite sure what it would bring. We're inland from the Jersey shore about 40 minutes or so - there is great devastation there, I am sorry to report. Our community here is fine - some minor flooding where creeks and ponds are located but that is to be expected. God is good. And - we get extra vacation days to catch up, too! Be visiting again!
Joy!
Kathy

Linda said...

Your finished window is just wonderful! Great blocks!

Britt-Inger said...

I looove your window. It is awesome
Thanks for sharing
Britt-Inger in Sweden

Carla Bynum said...

Hi!!! WOW!!!WOW!!!WOW!!! Your blocks are wonderfully wicked!!! I love them all!!!

Kathy H said...

Great blocks and wonderful fabric choices. I love the Halloween cat.

InGa said...

I really love your finished window.
Congratulations to the result on the hop, and thanks for sharing.
regards from Skåne, Sweden

SIMPLESEW said...

awesome job, love the block, so well thought out, I wish I could see it in person.. I bet its gorgeous

Needled Mom said...

Great blocks!!! It sounds like exciting times at your house too.

JanesQuilting said...

Congratulations Grandma. Your blocks are super. Thank you for sharing and enjoy you grandchild. Happy Halloween

Carol said...

Totally fabulous and fun!

Judy B said...

Love your attic window quilt! Thank you for sharing.

Paula said...

Fabulous block, Denise!
Congrats on another grandchild.
Welcome to the world, June!
HUgs to all.

BizyStitches said...

Your wickedly window scene was cute. I love the purple bats. Thanks for sharing all your talent.

Jean(ie) said...

Big hugs to June and Mamma. I know there will be a lot of work for June's "arrival"

Cute quilt block set. You are so clever!!!!

Enjoy today!

Pierro said...

Rosemary B here:
congratulations on your new baby in the family. Such a special time.
I absolutely adore your finished creation here it is wicked gorgeous!
Thank you so much for sharing your creativity

Maria Kievit said...

Love the ideas you took and then made a little quilt with. Thanks for sharing.

krislovesfabric said...

Thanks for sharing your projects and congratulations on the new little one!

Janarama said...

Ooooo, I like the purse, the coasters, your blocks and your embroidery. Can't wait to see your blocks all put together.

Janarama said...

I'm a new follower and I also signed up to get email updates. Can't wait to see your completed project.

Linda in Calif. said...

Totally wickedly wonderful! I love it!

~Marica~ said...

Thanks for sharing your little wicked project.

Marica

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Such Happy News!
Love your work,especially the pumpkin. It looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I need to try crayons.

sandra said...

Congrats on the new baby and love your window very creative.

evelyn said...

Congrats on the new little one!
I love your Window. The spider web is sew wicked, Hm, on the first picture he is on the web, on the second picture he is dangling, Yikes, he is coming through the screen at me----

Barb said...

Oh wow...that is fabulous!

Sallie said...

Great blocks! Thanks for sharing!

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

I absolutely LOVE your block! It is sew creative with terrific details.
Congrats on being one of the chosen!

Lee said...

How incredibly creative, and talented you are! Looking forward to "June" posts :)

LJ said...

Wonderful blocks. I wished you'd told us how you made your spider - he looks wickedly real - maybe tooo real! Loved all your bright background colors and the window idea was very neat.

Connie said...

What wonderful and creative blocks Grandma!! That little kitty is soooo wicked! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Love your blocks...thanks for sharing!!

Rebeckah Austin said...

Very cute and creative!

MoeWest said...

Your Halloween attic window is really well done! It looks like you used a bead for the spider?

Mary said...

Love you Halloween window. I'll be happy to hear more about Baby June. Hope all are enjoying the adulation! Sleepover- how fun!

Sheila said...

Congratulations Grandma :-) Your wicked blocks are awesome , thanks for sharing!!

Mrs.Pickles said...

Wicked work thanks for sharing!!

♥Duff said...

cute blocks! I thin the bats in purple swirls are too fun!

Amy said...

Love the wickedly wild pumpkin block! It is my favorite! Congrats on your newest grand baby. She is adorable!

Michele said...

I really love the way that came out. Thank you for sharing.

And congrats on the newest addition.

Kate said...

Absolutely wonderfully wicked and fun! Love your window on Halloween.