Thursday, October 18, 2012

knees, owls, and spiderwebs . . .

My mommy's coming home today ... hip, hip hooray!!!  (Or should that be knee, knee hooray?!?!)

Since yesterday was our last full day and the last time Dad and I would be driving to and from the rehab center without a knee patient in the vehicle, I decided I should make just one more pass through the quilt shop.  I mean, c'mon, who knows when I'll be by this way again?!
See?  I didn't do too much damage.  Just a few more pieces of pieces I'd already gotten.  For the most part.  A different sparkly batik ... and that butterfly print has a little metallic thread running through it, too!!  I got another half yard of the spider web batik.  It's from Moda's Love Letter Batiks - Laundry Basket Quilts.  Really cute stuff and definitely one of a kind! I also picked up a darling pattern I'm going to put to good use (involving the owl and the pussycats).  And a package of applique pins.  All very harmless.  

While we kept company yesterday, I managed to finish up the little hexies I had working:
Whoop, whoop!  I need to press and assemble, now.

I knew they wouldn't keep my hands busy the entire visit, so on a last minute whim, I put together some bigger charms to make another of the large hexie toppers.  I got all of those finished, too!  Now I just have to decide how to arrange them.  Any thoughts?  I'd love some input!  The only thing I'm set on is that the owl stays center.
Owlie 1
Owlie 2
Owlie 3
Owlie 4
Owlie 5
Owlie 6
I'm not really 'married' to any one of the designs, though I think perhaps 4 and 6 are the most appealing to my eye, looking back through the photos. It's pretty much a subjective decision, I know.

I can't believe how fast this week is going by!  Just think . . . I'll be announcing a winner to my Leafs Me - Happy - Birthday to Me giveaway on Monday morning! There's still time to enter -- head HERE for more details!

My mommy coming home and hexies and fabric shopping and giveaways . . . all these things certainly qualify for Favorite Things Thursday!!  Be sure to check out what other fun things make the favorites list around the blogosphere!

:)

20 left a comment . . .:

Teresa in Music City said...

Hooray!!! So glad your mom is coming home :*) Your hexies are just too darn cute! I love all the precious little fabrics in there - candies and stars - I could eat them :*) It's impossible to pick a favorite from your table-topper layouts.... I would have to go with #5 because those warm orangey/goldy colors surrounding the owl pop it very nicely. I also like #4 too. Oh heck, I like them all :*)

Melissa Bishop said...

Yay that your mom gets to come home! On the hexes, I like the #2 pic the best.

Barbara B said...

Hi, Denise! Glad your mom is coming home--her progress will advance by leaps and bounds now! I'm at 8.5 weeks post-op and graduated from therapy yesterday. Getting around really well.

And you are entitled to "quilt shop" since you'll miss the auction at guild tomorrow. You're probably better off...

Momof3girls said...

I really like #5. The orange and yellow makes the owl stand out more.

Yay for mom!

Betty Manousos said...

oh my, those are very pretty!!

love your blog title, too-
so inspiring!!

have a great day~visiting via katherine's.

Janet O. said...

Lots of things to celebrate here, Denise! So glad Mom gets to come home, and that calls for another quilt shop visit in my book (anything qualifies in my book, though)!
Have to say, I had the same thought as Teresa and Momof3girls on #5--those colors really highlight the owl.

Melissa Labella said...

Yay all around! Mom coming home and all that work done and of course the new additions from the quilt shop :0) My vote is for #5. I like the brights on the inside. Will miss you tonight.

Karin said...

How wonderful that your Mom is coming home! I'm fairly bouncing in my chair with joy! Prayers for continued healing for her and safe travels for your trip when you head back. I know your time together has been such a blessing to her.
And yes, I think you behaved yourself very well at the fabric shop. You have chosen well! I adore your hexies - both the small ones and the owlie table mat - isn't he cute? I am not the person to ask on choosing hexie placement. I needed an intervention when I did mine. It was so sad. :) However, I do know that whichever you choose - it will be the perfect one!

Lea said...

For the owl, my choice is owlie 5. And I love those little hexies! :)

Paula said...

So good to hear your mom will be coming home. Nothing beats coming home!
Quilt shop shopping. Can't beat it.
We are doing a small shop hop here in Wisconsin. Having fun. One of the shops is Primitive Gatherings. It is even more wonderful than everyone says. The website is good but the store...Oh my! The eye candy. I even bought a wool project.

I like Mr owl in 5 & 6. Actually 5 really caught my attention.

Now go bring mom home.
Hugs

Cathy said...

So glad to hear your Mom has done well, and is coming home. I think I like #5 the best, with the white/stars at the top and 2 sides. It seems to "fit" the best there. And yay for more fabrics, especially those. What are you planning for the butterflies?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well since your Mom can't - I'll happy dance for her!! Good news. I love that cat fabric and look forward to your owl and the pussycat project. And I will be the odd one - but I like ##3.

Jean(ie) said...

I'm excited fro your mom! Yay, she's home!!!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad your mother is coming home. Hope she heals quickly. I like #5 best. I like the way they frame the owl.

Mary said...

#5 looks like the most popular here. Give mom lots of hugs. I'm sure she is ready to be home. I'm glad you got to make one more quilt shop visit, too. Cute Owls.

Linda in Calif. said...

I vote 4, but like you said it's subjective. And really all of them are wonderful. I think I need to start some Halloween Hexies - I love yours.

Lulu said...

Very fun project and it certainly kept your hands busy for a while.

Katherines Corner said...

Happy news about your Mother. Cute project too. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo P.S. did you enter my latest giveaway?

Carin said...

Great news about your mom. And what a fun things you bought in the store !!
I love all the pictures with the owl, it looks like a fun project !!

Sarah said...

I'm sure your mom is loving it back at home!!!
You were quite busy miss hexie - I kinda like each layout but if I have to choose, probably 2 or 6.