Sunday, October 14, 2012

mad dash to add stash (report #41) . . .

Hi.  My name's Denise and I'm a fabric-a-holic.       Hi, Denise! 

Used/donated this week: 0 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 36.75 yards
Purchased/added this week: 4 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 154.75 yards
Net used/donated for 2012: -123 yards

I'm not even going to try and defend myself.  Except to say that it was all for (the most part) intended projects.  Check out what the other fabric-a-holics quilters have to say about their own stashes over at Patchwork Times!

As I'd mentioned, Julia and I made a quick stop in at the Annapolis quilt shop on Friday.  They had a darling little acorn print I'd not seen before and I picked up some Kona Snow, too.  For stitchery.

Yes, the acorn print does have a gold glint to it.  Yes, glitter and metallic call to me.

But I digress ... the whole point of me going back (under the guise of sharing the shop with my sister) was to pick up some of this . . . 

Isn't it darling?!?!?!?  I fell in love with this batik the first time I was in the shop, and let me talk myself out of getting it.  I should have known better.  It kept whispering to me to come back for it.  This is *so* cute that I imagine I'll include a fat quarter of it in my giveaway (which is still open and can be found HERE).

Julia and I did a little window shopping yesterday that ended up with her purchasing a wreath kit to take back to the rehab center.  We organized a little occupational craft therapy for my mom's Saturday afternoon!

Isn't it fun?  She did a great job with it.  We asked if she wanted to leave it in her room, but she wants it hanging on her front door, so it is . . .
It was a fun "girls" afternoon and a nice distraction, to boot!

While Julia and I were wandering, I saw this darling snow fellow wreath in A.C. Moore (we don't have one of those in the Huntsville area, to my deep sadness).

He's a delight!  I definitely see me making one of these.  So easy!  Just a simple wreath form, covered--and filled--with the deco mesh.  His features were all simple felt.  I might try and fashion a top hat for him.  I also found some fabric crayons.  Another blogger had mentioned using them with tremendous success and I wanted to give them a try.
Perhaps that's why I bought the Kona Snow.  LOL!

Today, after church, my sisters and I are headed out for brunch at a favorite restaurant of the locals.  I'll look forward to sharing more on that!


Make today a happy one!


:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Connie said...

Wow I love that spiderweb batik and I can see why you had to go back and buy it! Would you believe I have a 1/2 yard of that same acorn print!! I just love it, I'm like you and love the gold glints. What a neat wreath and snowman and I can't wait to see what you do with the fabric crayons! Hmmm...I used to have some of those....somewhere :)

Barbara said...

Gorgeous fabrics. I love the spider web batik.

Kate said...

Beautiful fabrics, you won't be sorry you went back. Maybe we need to start a fabric-a-holic version of the stash report. Not sure what it would look like, but let's think on it.

Love Bears All Things said...

Love the fabric....so happy to hear your Mom is doing well.
Mama Bear

Teresa in Music City said...

Love your fabric additions!!! What cute fabrics - and of course you love acorns! I'm a sucker for the glittery metallics too :*) And I've stopped apologizing for my stash enhancement. I enjoy adding beautiful fabrics to my arsenal! When you are struck with the perfect pattern, you will have that perfect fabric right there and ready for you to play with :*)

So glad you are enjoying your visit and finding some time to play :*)

Cathy said...

My name is Cathy, and I'm a fabric-a-holic, too. LOL!! Actually, Teresa is right, we shouldn't feel guilty about our fabric purchases. Artists doesn't feel guilty when buying paints,do they? Well, our fabrics are our paints. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Both of us have in numbers that are pretty much the same. And each fabric you chose is gorgeous, I can see why they had to go home with you.

Melissa Bishop said...

So funny! I feel the same way about painting birds. Who knew!Although the craft show was a financial dud, I really enjoyed speaking to the people who came up to my booth. So much so that I think I might just set up a booth next time with a sign: ENCOURAGEMENT and talk to people and offer to pray with/for them.
Hope lunch was tasty.
God bless you my friend!

Michelle said...

Those acorns and spiderwebs are SO cute! And I want to know how you like the fabric crayons. My experiments were all with regular Crayolas - maybe those would've worked better!

Lea said...

The batik has pretty good Halloween designs :)

I didn't know there are fabric crayons! What designs are you planning to draw? So excited to see it.

Missy Shay said...

Be sure to let us know how the fabric crayons work, my mom and I were trying to decide between them and fabric markers.

Dar said...

Oh Oh Oh -- that spiderweb batik is so great!!! I have not seen that before. Do you remember who's it was?? Your leaf wreath is also pretty. I guess it is time to get out the decorations. I have a straw wreath with silk leaves around it, similar to yours --that I bought at a discount store -- but yours if prettier. Hope lunch was yummy.

Lee said...

I especially find the acorn print yummy! And I may have to see if our local craft/fabric store has some when I go on Wednesday. The snowman definitely needs a tophat! It'll perk him up right nicely :)

Janet O. said...

When I saw that acorn fabric I knew immediately that it must sparkle! : )
I love the spider web batik. How fun is that ?!?
Good idea to take something for Mom to make. It is very cute!

Barb N said...

A few weeks ago the clerk was cutting some fabric for me and innocently asked, "So what are you making with this?" I had to say, "I have no idea. I just like it!" That must be why I have some of that same acorn print in my stash!

Sarah said...

A girls crafty afternoon sounds like fun. I keep trying to get mom to have one with me as no one else in the family is crafty... L.O.V.E. that acorn fabric!

Richardson said...

HI:
I just found your blog from the leaf hop and fell in love. Now I need one thing what is the name of that batic? I NEED it!!! LOL
Hugs,
Vicki
sunraesban@yahoo.com

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute! Cute! and Cute! Love that spiderweb batik the best, but, those acorns are great. What cute projects, too!