Friday, February 17, 2012

the dentist and the guild . . .

It sounds like a bad title for an even worse novel, doesn't it?  Well it actually made for a pretty good day for me!

Joc called me yesterday morning and needed to make an emergency trip to the dentist.  Of course, I jumped at the opportunity to spend some more time with Miss Ellie!
While I was there, Joc asked me to take some shots of her holding Ellie, so I captured a few for her.  I love, love this one:
Aren't they beautiful?! Evidently Ellie thought it was a pretty great shot, too!
Tuesday (Valentine's Day) was Ellie's five week mark and here's the commemorating shot:
I love how they changed the graphic on her onesie to a heart shape!  Funny story.  Leia, Joc's cat, feels very strongly that she needs to also have *her* picture picture taken on the fabric, too.
Such a complete cat!

From Joc's house I headed into Huntsville for dinner with my stitcher's group and then the guild meeting.  I'd mentioned our speaker was Lisa Binkley, of fiber art and embellishing fame.  I tried to capture some shots of my favorites of her slides, but the room was dark and so very few are really viewable.  I think everything I'm showing here can be seen (much more clearly and with better detail) at her website.
I have to admit that while I really like the idea of beading and embellishing quilts (it's definitely something on my NewFO list) -- and that Lisa's work is beautiful and intricate and high quality -- her style is definitely not my style.  And since all of her pieces seem to follow in the same vein (and if you'd seen the leaf, after leaf, after leaf piece that she displayed last night, that would be punny), I struggled with the program a little.  Click on the pics to see the great photo on her own website.
 
The pine cone--and especially the beaded pine needles--really caught my eye.  All these pieces are relatively small -- 8" X 9".  One thing I did find very interesting were the items she uses for embellishing.  A lot of beads, but also a lot of buttons and even old jewelry.  In January I went through my jewelry box and moved a lot of pieces (that I don't wear anymore or that had broken) into my embellishing jar.  Hey!  I'm ahead of the game! 
I also really like how she included these rose buttons around the window and used beading to create the vines.

This weekend I need to pull together the projects I'm taking with me on retreat.  I've got some ideas--definitely the wedding quilt, and My Orange Crush, and probably the Pineapple Quilt.  I don't know what else, but I know I definitely need something more so I can have a little creative freedom!  We've also got two different groups coming in today -- we'll have about 100 campers up here this weekend.  Busy, busy, busy!

Happy Friday and happy weekend!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Cathy said...

WOW!! 100 campers!! That's quite a lot. Have you ever had that many before? Ellie is looking fabulous, and so very very cute and huggable. I love those little headbands on baby girls. They are so much fun. I think I would have had a problem with that program, too. I like my quilts to be...... quilts, not little pictures. I'll save embroidery and beading for other things.

Sarah said...

Wow - five weeks already!
Maybe Leia can start her own picture sequence with graphics?

Lee said...

I must say, that's one beautiful granddaughter and she and her mommy are very photogenic - great pics! Oh, and the kitty is beautiful too!

While I appreciate the efforts that go into wall art like this (and I'm less inclined to call them 'quilts', but that's me-the traditionalist, lol) I probably would never do that much embellishing even on a wall-art quilt I'd do. I have Christmas ones with 'ornaments' of the miniature kind and buttons. Embellishing certainly is a different animal! Mentioning jewelry boxes, I have a ton of old costume jewelry from my grandma, there's probably some fun embellishments in it!

big B said...

Denise - What beautiful pictures - including Leia :) I really like the beading pictures too, especially the pinecone. It looks very intricate. Have a fun busy weekend!
-Kim

Barbara F. said...

Love-love-love-love the photos of Joc and Ellie. Just beautiful. Warms my heart. And the wall art isn't bad, either. xo

Janet O. said...

Very sweet photo of Joc and Ellie!

Mary said...

I see a cute Dimple in the picture of Ellie! Hadn't seen that before. I'm sure you had a much better day than Joc did having to go to the Dentist.

Jean said...

I see a widdle dimple! squee!

Asiyah said...

So stinkin' cute! Love those dimples!

c. Joy said...

Dimples - mom and baby. Thanks for sharing.

Deanna said...

Sweet baby! I hope your weekend stitching plans work out. ENJOY!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

The pictures of Joc and Ellie are adorable!

Pat said...

Little Ellie is SO alert...just love that photo of her with her mommy!!!

Barbara said...

I love those pictures of your "girls". So sweet.