Monday, February 06, 2012

trekking along . . .

Here's what's on the design wall (table, iron, bed ... whatever the case may be) this week:
Got block two of the HQH BOM whipped up and out of the way!  It's a very pretty block.  I also found the *perfect* fabric to sash these HQH babies . . .
I wanted something silvery to go with the theme of 25th anniversary (which is typically referred to as the silver anniversary).
I think the blocks are going to look great framed in this pretty fabric, especially with the black stripping to connect the panels.  I'm playing around with an idea to incorporate my challenge quilt into this piece (which means after the June challenge, I'd have to take the binding off that piece and then go from there).  I'm still playing with that.  I like the idea, though, of having the two commemoration pieces merged into one. 

Do you ever just get so many ideas about where you want to go with different pieces and quilting that they're just jumbled up in your brain?!  I couldn't sleep one night last week for thinking of how I wanted to quilt this one and different fabrics and the backing.  Crazy!

Here's the pattern for the next block (November's):
And these are the November colors:

So after picking through my stash, here are the fabrics I've selected for the block:
The lighting in this photo doesn't do that brown batik justice -- it's a beautiful piece of fabric!  (Thanks, Mom!)  I'll use it for the focal leaf, use the tonal white for the background and the yellow for the corner squares.  Should be an interesting block to piece ... I'll really have to focus on precise piecing for this one.

I mentioned sleepless nights.  Here's one of the ideas that kept me tossing . . .
I thought it would be fun to quilt the sashing with fans, similar to the HQH logo.  The sashing will be about 2.5" wide.  What I haven't decided on is whether or not I'd hand or machine quilt them.  The fans around the square I drew in paint and then set them up in a graphic.  The three on the far left I hand drew.  I'm not so sure, judging by my hand renderings, that machine quilting those is the way to go!  I still haven't decided what to do in the centers.  Or even what fabric to back it in.  Aye-yi-yi! 

Ah well, those are thoughts and decisions for another restless night.  LOL!  In the meantime, definitely head over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and check out the rest of the design walls out there this Monday!

I'm also linking up to What a Hoot's BOMs Away Monday!  Fun stuff!

Me?  I'm headed over to spend the day with Ellie and Joc!  I'm taking the makings for a big pot of vegetable beef stew -- a favorite of mine!

Have a *terrific* Monday!

:)

18 left a comment . . .:

Barbara B said...

Exciting, Denise!

Sue Daurio said...

Love the silver fabric for the blocks. Especially with the black sashing. Those are going to be beautiful!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I just love this idea of a commemorative quilt for your guild. We just did a mini challenge, but this is so much nicer.

Kathie said...

that is pretty silver fabric, very different and think it will look great with the blocks.

Quiet Quilter said...

Like to see your thought processes. Makes the final result more interesting...

Gari said...

Great fabric choices for the new block. And I, too, enjoyed hearing your thought process. I get ideas and the most odd times but those are usually the ones I go with. ;-)

Editfolt said...

the beautiful fabrics'. the package arrived?
I do not want to lose?

Janet O. said...

From the photo it is hard to tell the texture of that beautiful shimmery fabric. My question on the quilting would be whether or not that fabric would be difficult to needle for hand quilting--and the fact that hand quilting would take so much more time.
But you are designing a beautiful quilt, whichever way you decide to quilt it! : )

Cathy said...

That silver is fabulous! Great find!! I really like the way it looks with your blocks. What's it made of?

Connie said...

What great blocks Denise! When I first saw the fabric I thought you were making something with sequenes! Opps, can't remember how to spell that:)

Melissa said...

You are so sweet. Thank you fr your kind words on my painting. I just love that fan block. Is it hard to do? It looks hard!

Jean said...

I love the color combos of the blocks. and the silver fabric is just FAB! That was me the other night, furiously sketching out a block for a small piece I'm working on. I can't wait to see how it changes and adapts. yes, I already made a change from the original design!

Melissa said...

Do you have this book? http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Fans-Alice-Wolkins-Dunsdon/dp/1571202064/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328545652&sr=1-3

Rachel's Quilts said...

Lovely blocks. Looking forward to your Maple Leaf block. It's a block I've always wanted to try (especially being Canadian) but haven't yet.
Enjoy your day with Ellie and Jocelyn.

Mary said...

Sleep is over-rated, LOL. Have fun with the grandchildren today! Vegetable stew is on my list of favorites for a foggy day in my town. I make even more beautiful quilts in my dreams...

LynCC said...

Heee I know all about mind-spinning quilt ideas when I'm supposed to be getting sleep! It *is* crazy sometimes. :) What a fun plan to do a silver theme with the blocks! Is that a metallic "painted" onto the fabric? If so, maybe that will help you decide between hand and machine quilting - might be a BEAR to stitch through? Nice to see you at BOMs Away. :D

Pat said...

That silver is one very interesting fabric! I'd not have thought of that, but it looks like the perfect choice.

Sarah said...

That silver fabric screams silver anniversary - perfect choice! You always have the cleverest quilting ideas as well...