Friday, February 10, 2012

fluffy, food, and fashion . . .

Yesterday was a fun day ... of course, any day spent with my kids and grands is going to be an awesome day!  Interestingly enough, Joc's beautiful cat, Leia, was very interested in me yesterday.  I think having a baby in the house has rather put her in her place a bit. She's looking for attention from people she doesn't generally seek it from.
 Which would be anyone but Joc and Jason!  But she certainly moved in closer . . .
 And closer . . .
To me yesterday!  She really is so beautiful -- and her fur is so soft, fluffy and inviting.  Kitty-loving!

For lunch I made the quinoa-avocado salad and it was *very* good!  I cut the recipe in half and it made plenty for the two of us for lunch and left us both with a little bit (I had mine for dinner, too).
 As always, I made a few adjustments to the original recipe (found HERE).  This is what I came up with:

Quinoa-Avocado Salad 

1 cup quinoa, cooked per pkg directions, chilled 
6 oz Sweet Corn, just barely thawed 
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro 
1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced on the bias 
1 plum tomato, 1/4-inch dice 
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, cubed 
1/3 cup Olive Oil Vinaigrette 
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp pepper 

Directions: Add cooked quinoa, corn, cilantro, green onions, and tomatoes to mixing bowl. Fold in avocados and dressing; mix until well-combined. Season with salt and pepper; serve.
It was very easy to make, too.  I've been looking for quinoa recipes and have found three or four that I'm wanting to try.  Todd doesn't care for avocado or cilantro, so this one is out for him or at least, would need to be modified.

Of course, the main show of yesterday was Miss Ellie!
Joc has fallen in love with smocked gowns and dresses, and two that she had ordered came in yesterday.  This little white outfit was *so* precious that we had to have a fashion show (even though it's a little big still).
Do we look great together?  I'm sporting a pretty new top, too!  (A sweet gift from my Mom!)  Ellie's a natural at this modeling thing.

Of course, we see what the cameraman (Joc) was really focusing on!  That's okay -- it's to be expected, right?!

And here's Ellie with her beautiful mommy!
And turnabout is fair play, right?  This cameraman also had focused interests!
I just adore baby feet!!

Today will be a busy one ... our fifth annual board meeting this morning and then prep for the Camp MACOBA workday tomorrow (I hope we don't have snow for it) and tonight we're headed out for a informational/vision meeting for the future of Joc and Jason's church.  Whew!!  I had better take my hand work with me in the car so I can get some stitching in on this busy day!!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Momof3girls said...

I just love those pictures of Ellie! She is so adorable! The smocked outfits are precious. Leia is a beautiful cat. Did she get in your lap to be petted? Our cat Molly doesn't have much to do with anyone but us. You can tell who she likes and doesn't when someone comes to the house. If she doesn't like you, you'll never see her. If she tolerates you, you'll see her, but she won't allow you to pet her. If she likes you, but not as much as she likes us, she might, just might let you give her a pat. Cats are so funny!
Have a blessed day!

Janet O. said...

Oh, cats can be jealous creatures when their limelight is gone. : )
Ellie makes a perfect model. Just precious!!

Paula said...

What a beautiful cat! I love cats.
I agree with your hubby on those certian foods. Never did get a taste for avocado's. I think it may be a texture thing.
Oh Miss Ellie is a star model. I love smocking on the little girl dresses. Feet! Baby feet are just so dang cute and wonderful.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Barbara F. said...

Adorable photos as always. That is a pretty cat, Denise. Really silver!

I would like to try this salad as it reminds me of guacamole in a way. xo

Melissa said...

My mom has a cat that is very contrary! I keep telling him that if he was not meant to be touched, God would not have clothed him in such a soft, fluffy coat! Then he bites the curtains in protest to being kissed and petted. He is sweet when he wants to be. He is a rescue from the pound and I think he had a few bad run ins with people before he was rescued.
cute photos!

Love Bears All Things said...

Cats can be very territorial and jealous, at least my Smokey can...he doesn't like the "grands" to get to close to me. Or Jim for that matter. And he hates for me to talk on the phone.
I love seeing the baby photos....its been so long since we've had a little one around...makes me yearn for one to hold.
Have a special weekend,
Mama Bear

Cathy said...

I too love the look of smocking on little baby girls, and also, come to think of it, in dresses for when they are older as well. You look so happy holding that precious girl, and Jocelyn is absolutely glowing with joy. I hope you get some time to rest along with your business. How is the foot doing?

Jean said...

the smocking on that white outfit is just beautiful! Love the pic of Ellie napping on the boppy.

It's interesting to see how our furkids react to new ones in the home. I'm banking on the fact that Leia sees how loving you are to Ellie and hopes she can get some too.

Lee said...

Many years ago I had a cat named Steely who looked very much like that. He disappeared when I moved :(
Sweet Ellie just keeps lookin' sweeter, and this little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home...love the toesies.
Your salad looks yummy too, I may have to try it after I go to the store next.

Mary said...

In the picture of Joc and Ellie, it looks like Ellie is smiling! Nice to see G-ma and Mommy's smiles too. We are getting just Rain right now and that is fine with me...I have places to go and grand babies to see.

Pat said...

Looks like it was another great food and photo day! Thanks for sharing that little sweetie in photos with us!

Sarah said...

You grand-cat is gorgeous - must take some time and effort to maintain that long fur. Ellie is prescious in her smocked outfit. Do I see another hobby coming?

Kate said...

Elle is precious. She looks really so pretty in pink.

Amy said...

omg she let me pet her a lot the other day too! I was so impressed. No hissing at all!