Wednesday, February 15, 2012

tid bits . . .

Stitching and sewing has been slow this week, but I keep hanging on to the fact that this time next week, I'll be packing up and getting ready to head to Scottsboro, Alabama, and the Grand Oak Retreat for five day and four nights of sewing, laughing, eating, and more sewing.  Whoohoo!

I did get some crafting finished.  One project will have to wait another day before I'll share . . . and I finished this sweet little silhouette of Sawyer (which was one of my secret projects from Monday):
Have you ever tried to convert a picture into a silhouette?  I used the instructions I found at Loo-la-bee Simplicity.  It's not difficult, per se, but it is tedious and time consuming (if you're really paying attention to detail).  But the end result is so worth it!!
My plan was to fit this to a frame Kim had hanging on her living room wall and surprise her with it -- I knew she'd wanted one.  The surprise was on me, though ... when I got to their house on Monday evening, I found that she had taken down the whole arrangement to redecorate!  
Oh well.  She loved it (as did little man -- he was quite fascinated with it and knew it was "Sawyer") and I'm sure I'll see it hanging when the redecorating is done.

I also crafted a sweet little card for my Valentine.  I got to thinking about Valentine's Day and how as a child we spent a week carefully crafting all the cards we were going to give out, and how much they meant because they were crafted with love ... and I decided I wanted all my cards from hereon out to be done that same way.  Crafted with love.

And I made some sugarless heart cookies as a treat for my darling man . . . 
He was really pleased!  They turned out nicely and had a lovely flavor.  I got the recipe from one of my favorite tea blogs . . . Tea at Prim Rose Hill.

And then there was his Valentine to me . . .
Oh definitely, I know I'm spoiled!!
Today is an Ellie day ... I can't wait to hold her again!  Joc told me on Monday that she was weighing in at nine pounds -- gracious!  I may not recognize her today -- LOL!  Today is also our first Wednesday at the new church and I'm looking forward to it.  I need to get this show rolling!

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Jean said...

Ellie is nine pounds? She's growing like a weed!!!!!

Have fun in Scottsboro...

Teresa in Music City said...

Looks like you had a really heart-warming and delightful Valentine's Day - I'm glad! I love the idea of making the card!

Janet O. said...

Very nice job on the silhouette! We used to have these in our home when I was growing up--one of each child. I think they were done at a booth at the Knott's Berry Farm theme park in California when we lived in LA.

Barbara F. said...

I love when you have "Ellie" days, adorable photos are sure to follow. I am so happy you had a wonderful Valentine's Day, you and Todd are one of my favorite couples in Blogland. I am going to try those sugarfree cookies. xo

Paula said...

Nine pounds??? She sure is filling out her girly figure.
Looks like you had a wonderful heart day.
Hugs

Cathy said...

Looks like you had a wonderful Valentines Day. You are right, you're spoiled....... isn't it wonderful? LOL Have a good day with Ellie.

Sarah said...

Ack - I would only have a 14 hour and 12 minutes drive to your retreat. LOL. Too bad it wasn't closer as that building and view is gorgeous. Have a wonderful time!

Lee said...

Cool silhouette!
It never ceases to amaze me how some folks (like you) can be so creative and even DO the little projects they talk about. And then I laugh at Marty & myself: we spent our Valentine's evening getting our taxes done... they aren't hard, we could probably do ourselves, but our tax guy's been doing them for 15 years, so why quit now? We did stop at Ben & Jerry's for ice cream afterward.

Editfolt said...

You get a beautiful flower. We do not have Valentine's Day.
You send me a package?

Connie said...

Wow is Ellie growing! Love the silhouette of Sawyer and your flowers are beautiful!
Quilting by the River

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Denise, that silhouette turned out so wonderfully! Great job! It sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday. How blessed you are to have a husband who spoils you---I'm right there with you :).

Melissa said...

A silhouette was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that picture the other day. It turned out great!

Mary said...

The silhouette is adorable, nice that he knows it is him too. I made my Boys when they were small using a Lamp and paper taped to the wall. It cast the shadow on the wall to trace around. Have a great retreat!