Wednesday, February 01, 2012

ufo's past and present . . .

So I have some good news and some great news and some not-so-good news.  All of it involves UFO's -- linking up with Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times today.  Let's start with the not-so-good news.  I didn't finish my January UFO.  It's really no surprise; I had a baby quilt that HAD to be finished and a granddaughter born ... priorities, right?
The good news involves that same quilt.  I fell in love with that quilt the first time I saw the display quilt hanging at my LQS.  I think it's just beautiful and I wanted to make it just like (almost) the one hanging.  I had no intention of allowing it to slip into UFOness for five years.  It was cutting down the center and attaching the sashing that stopped me cold (you've got to remember, these pieces are already quilted and it had to FIT into an already set center).  But this month I conquered my fear and got that center part done.  So I *know* this quilt will be a finish for 2012 and though it wasn't finished in January, I do consider it a success!!!

The great news?!?  Judy picked UFO #1 as the February project and that's Jocelyn's wedding quilt!!  YAY!!  I had already promised Joc that it would be a priority and that I would take it with me to retreat (which is this month).  Perfect and GREAT timing!!

I did spend the day with my darling Ellie.  Oh I could sit and hold her for hours . . . which is *precisely* what I did yesterday!  Oh what sweet, sweet moments!
I promise she does open her eyes, but when she does, I'm talking to her and playing with her and there's no room for a camera.  LOL!
Baby feet!

Baby power!!

Baby snuggles!

And finally, I had to share this gorgeous quilt.  One of the ladies in our Stitcher's Group brought it with her last night.  She appliqued the entire quilt ... and then sent it off to Cashton, Wisconsin to have it quilted by an Amish lady.
Almost three years to the week from start to finish.  What gorgeous, gorgeous work.  The quilter is Karen, pictured holding the quilt up on the right.  She's won quite a few blue ribbons with her quilts over the years and has had them juried into major quilt shows.  I have no doubt this one will find its way into that circle!

Wednesday's random word of wisdom?  Hand wash your cookware.  It will make it last longer!

:)

16 left a comment . . .:

Quiet Quilter said...

As nice and beautiful as the quilting pictures were, the baby feet with the one big toe standing at attention took my heart. You are so blessed to be able to hold and see her...

Jean said...

Karen's quilt is beautiful! That one is definitely an heirloom and a labor of love.

Baby power... Love it!

Janet O. said...

Precious shots of little Ellie! I don't even know her and I want to hold her. : )
That is a jaw-dropping quilt! Wow!

Paula said...

Karen's quilt is so beautiful. We have so many Amish ladies in Wisconsin that do quilting. Many people use them for quilts they want to put in shows.
Ellie has the most beautiful eyelashes. What a sweet baby. I just want to reach in the computer and hold her. Thanks for sharing her. Baby Power rocks!
Hugs beautiful lady!

Rachel's Quilts said...

Baby stretches are so cute!
Looking forward to seeing your progress on the wedding quilt this month.
Love Karen's quilt. Have always wanted to make one but know I don't have the patience for it.

Cathy said...

Now that you have the hard part of the centre figured out, the rest will come together, during quiet time sewing. And Joc will be thrilled to have her wedding quilt done. And Ellie....... she is sweet and dainty and beautiful, and snuggly, and everything Nessey would want in a Grand daughter. There is no way I would want to put her down, if she were mine. You are so blessed to have them close by.

Amy said...

I got to hold her in your quilt last night too and it's even more beautiful in person! Good job Neesey! :)

Mary said...

I hadn't noticed that Judy chose the new UFO Number. I dint' finish or work on my January UFO. Good thing we have a new Month to do better. Ellie is Precious, I'd put the camera down to talk and play too.

Lee said...

I'm so glad I'm in good company about not (yet) finishing up my January UFO ;) We'll get there, no?

Ellie is just so precious all snuggled up in her quilt; and those little toes! perfect for 'nibbles'.

Karen's quilt is gorgeous - I wouldn't get that much applique done in lifetime even if I'd started 30 years ago, lol!

Hehe, love your little tidbit of wisdom. My favorite pans are my Revereware w/copper bottoms. I can't stand to have that copper tarnish and with *hand wash* is gets sprinkled with salt and wiped with white vinegar - cleans that copper right up! and it's inexpensive!

Sarah said...

No worries - didn't finish my January UFO either. Now, do I stash the January back tothe cupboard to work on February or do I keep working on January? Ackckck. I adore Ellie's collection of hair finery and that tiny toes photo is quite precious.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You certainly had your priorities - baby toes, who can resist. And lucky you that the Feb is the quilt that needs finishing. Just a spectacular applique quilt and thank you for sharing that with us.

dianehobbit said...

Even if not completed as long as progress has been made this is definitely a success. Enjoy Feb project.

Connie said...

Ellie is such a darling baby grandma! You must be so happy! You will get your UFO's done I'm sure!

c. Joy said...

When I see that beautiful baby I smell Johnson's Baby Powder. I know, babies probably don't even 'wear' that these days - it's just one of the happy baby memories for me. The appliqued quilt is a stunner. I look forward to hearing about your retreat.

JCnNC said...

You are absolutely right, priorities is what it is all about. Those baby toes should be framed and maybe every year you could do another picture of her little feet just like that. Wonderful keepsake. Beautiful quilt progress and will look forward to the finish. What is not to like about a pineapple quilt? Judy C

Love Bears All Things said...

Sweet baby days....it looks like she is inside a quilted heart, there...
Mama Bear