Tuesday, February 14, 2012

a love story . . .

Sawyer and I had such a fun night, last night.  We decided that we wanted to make his mommy and daddy a special Valentine.  I'd seen an idea on pinterest--from Squash Blossom Babies -- about turning a toddler's scribbles into keepsake art, and I thought it was perfect for Sawyer and a homemade Valentine!  Instead of following her idea of cutting out figures with the exacto knife, I pre-printed the words I'd want to cut out on plain paper, in outlined block letters.
Sawyer was all about doing some art work.  I brought some washable markers.  I think perhaps a new experience for him?  They sure looked cute on him.  Yes, I did mean "on him"!
I used blue painter's tape to tape the paper to the table (to keep it from moving or getting *crumpled* up.)  I think he was doing a close-up inspection to see if he missed a spot.
Oh yeah -- we were having a big time --  I do love this darling boy!
He was most fascinated with the caps.  Very, very fascinated.  After he finished coloring, I cut out the letters and glued them on a big, white heart:
It made for a very cute Valentine -- and he was very pleased with it!  I freehand cut the hearts out of the random colored space.  And the hand print at the bottom was a last minute decision ... his hand were *covered* in marker so I got it damp and he happily pressed it onto a piece of plain paper and then cut it out.  He thought that was pretty fun.
After we finished up with that, we made paper hats ... errr ...
Snowflakes, I mean.  It seemed appropriate given the weather last night!
And we finished up our table time with his first TV dinner!  I had told Kim that I had such fond memories of when I was a child ... when my folks were going out and we were going to have a babysitter during the dinner hour, we'd go to the grocery store and get to pick out our own TV dinner.  I thought it would be fun to get one for Sawyer.  I picked out a Kid's Cuisine with fish sticks, tater tots, macaroni and cheese and corn.  He ate it all -- it was a fun treat!

And that's my Valentine's story for the morning.

Happy Valentine's Day to YOU!

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

What a clever idea for a sweet Valentine! I love it. And the handprint was a brilliant addition. They will treasure that, for sure!
Good times with Grandma--right down to the TV dinner!

Mary said...

How sweet! Way to make the day memorable for every one. I have great memories of the kids and V-day too.

~Niki~ said...

awwwwwwwwww. precious.

Barbara F. said...

What a cute idea, I love the way his card turned out. Happy Valentine's Day to you! Wonder what surprise(s) Todd has for you today :-) xo

Pat said...

GREAT idea.......and what a cute series of photos of all the fun! Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

What a great idea!! Looks like you both had fun with it!

c. Joy said...

You sure know how to show a grandchild a good time. TV dinner! Markers! Happy Valentine's to you too.

Gmama Jane said...

You enjoy your grandpeeps like I do! Sawyer is a real cutie pie. That orange hat he likes cracks me up. Scott has 2-3 shirts that he would wear 24/7 and in fact he will put one of them on over his pj's if Jenda doesn't catch him. Glad you are having a "grand" Valentine's day!
BLessings
Jane

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a 'romantic' Valentine's Dinner! Yes, memories made.

Ellen said...

He is adorable! I am so looking forward to one day having some grandkiddies.

Jean said...

Awww... Sawyer did a very good job! I loved TV dinners growing up. Except for the time the peas got stuck in the cherry dessert portion. LOL!

Paula said...

Love, love, love the idea. What a special card that makes. So clever to make the hand print also. Perhaps when young son and new wife have children I will do this. Hmm, wonder when that will be?

Kate said...

What a great valentine for Sawyer's mom and dad. Did they get copies of the "in production pictures" too?

Drama Teen loved those Kid's Cuisine when she was little. She's since graduated to Lean Cuisine.