Sunday, February 19, 2012

stash report #8 and stuff . . .

I had a great time in my Sunday School class this morning.  Know what I learned?  There are at least three other quilters in my class!!  I'm really excited to already have some common ground with these new ladies!

I think I will probably be the girl who nickels and dimes her stash into triple in-the-red digits.  You know ... a yard here, a yard there, toss in a couple of fat quarters ... and before you know it, BAM!  Haha!  I only added one yard this week -- a tonal white, for redwork -- but since I didn't finish anything, it just keeps piling on!  The good thing is that I've got the retreat in a couple of days and I really hope to have some finishes out that.  Plus, I won't be buying any fabric while I'm there!

Used/donated this week: 0.0 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 3.25 yards
Purchased/added this week: 1.0 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 10.75 yards
Net used/donated for 2012: -7.5 yards

As always, be sure to check out the link-ups at Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times!
Yesterday, instead of working on any of the projects I had planned on working on (that I needed to work on), I found this cute little owl stitchery to play around with.  I printed him out on regular paper, used my new Sulky transfer pen to draw over the lines, and then I ironed it onto my fabric.  
 It worked pretty well considering I didn't read the instructions.  (Yes, I'm that girl, too.)  I imagine it would have been even better had I shaken the pen first, and had I pre-heated the fabric I was transferring to the first time.  Since I didn't do those things, I had to use my little blue Bohin marker to fill in the blanks. And then I started stitching . . .
And kept stitching . . . 
Mind you, I'm still not sure exactly how I'm going to finish him out (he was started with no final project in mind), but he'll be done and ready for whatever it is this afternoon, I imagine!  Well, considering they're calling for flurries this afternoon, curling up with a bit of stitchery sounds like the proper thing to do!

:)

11 left a comment . . .:

Editfolt said...

beautiful owl.

Cathy said...

What a cute owl!! I can relate to projects just wanting to be made, without any particular goal in mind for them. And a perfect way to spend a cold, snowy Sunday afternoon.

Pat said...

How great to find some new quilting friends!!! The owl is really cute.

Connie said...

He is such a cute little owl! Beautiful stitchery!

Kris said...

Oh, Denise - Your little owl is darling!!! I really need to do more embroidery as I just love doing it!! But it sure is good thing I don't keep track of my fabric purchases!! It would probably scare me to death - then it would all go to someone else!! Keep warm!! Kris

Vroomans' Quilts said...

New quilty friends are good. And your embroidery if cute - sometimes you need a break from 'hafta do' to 'gotta play'.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh how cute is that owl!?! What a fun stitchery! I had to laugh about you going to retreat and getting a lot done and not buying any fabric while there! I just posted my stash report telling how I bought huge amounts of fabric at 3 shops on the way there and didn't get even one finish to report! hahaha - you just never know what each week will bring! You're doing a great job on your stash....

Jean said...

Cute owl! That's awesome that you found some quilters in the group. yay! new friends!!!

Mary said...

I understand what you mean about nickel and dimeing your stash. I do that a lot too. Cute owl block.

Janet O. said...

Very cute! I can see why you couldn't resist! Nice work.

Sarah said...

I was a very naughty shopper this weekend. I went to the store for 4 FQs to add some variety to my hexie project...I left with 14 FQs. All but 3 were for the hexies but still...