Tuesday, February 28, 2012

settling back in . . .

What a fun day yesterday was ... and I didn't even spend any time sewing!  LOL!  I spent the day with Sawyer, while Kim put in time working to set up for the big Kid's Consignment shop for the spring sale.  The weather was so glorious, we spent most of the morning outside.
Little man really enjoys being outside and could find things "to do" for hours!!  He's *so* busy!
And everything outside is interesting to him.  A blade of grass, an acorn, a dandelion, a leaf -- they're all worthy of his inspection, wonder and awe.  Ah, to view creation through the eyes of a child again.

And then there's balls . . .
Kicking, throwing, catching and fetching . . . balls make for endless hours of outdoor entertainment!  We had a lovely day together and I enjoyed spending so much time with him.  His vocabulary has gotten bigger since the last time I saw him and it's such fun to listen to him try out new words.  And he parrots *everything* he hears, which is such fun!

One of his new words is "dinosaurs".  I was *so* glad to learn this!!  I recently won some dinosaur fabric from Frances, over at One More Quilt -- she had leftovers from a project she'd made.
I had originally thought to use it in an I Spy quilt, but I guess I hadn't paid close enough attention to the picture of the fabric . . .
Because the dinosaurs are WAY bigger than the blocks I'm using for my I Spy quilt!  But the minute I saw it, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.  I've got six blocks from a 6-month BOM I did in 2008.  The fabrics were bright, primary colors with worms and wigglies.  The demo quilt in the shop matched these blocks with applique animal blocks -- cats, dogs, ducks, etc.  
But those blocks didn't appeal to me, and I never did find something that I wanted to put it together with.  Until the dinosaur fabric arrived!!  I'm going to put six different dinosaurs in the center of blocks and put together a "big boy" quilt for Sawyer!  My only concern was that Sawyer might be intimidated by the dinosaurs, so I took the fabric with me to show him.  I was so tickled to see him point to the stegosaurus and hear him say "dinosaurs!"   And then he 'roared', because that's what dinosaurs do.  I think this is a quilt that was destined to be!!  Thank you, Frances!!

After my day with Sawyer, I went and spent the latter part of the afternoon with Joc and Ellie.  It was a quiet afternoon of snuggling and cooing and rocking ... and since I was contentedly holding Ellie, I didn't capture any snapshots!  I did want to share this one that Joc had from Everett's birthday . . . 
Do you see that sweet little smile on my girl's face?!  Joc did a lovely post about their day over on her blog

Today I need to get back into the swing of things ... laundry, cleaning, cooking ... I need to work!!

:)

8 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That is terrific fabric and so 'little boy' - perfect fit it sounds to me. And I love the last tribute photo.

Momof3girls said...

I knew that's what you were going to do with the fabric. It was be the best thing. It's going to be so cute and Sawyer is going to love it.

Sweet picture of Ellie. Love the smile!

Teresa in Music City said...

Sounds like the best kind of day =^..^= What a great idea for those dinosaurs! And all kids love dinosaurs!

Cathy said...

Sawyer is at such a fun age, where everything is new, and it's like he is aware of what he is seeing for the first time. At least in the ability to explore and touch and feel. The dinosaurs are the perfect solution to the alternate squares in that quilt. Are you going to fussy cut them in squares, or cut out the actual dinosaur and applique .And the picture of Ellie is heart wrenching. Intense joy and intense sadness all in one.

Jean said...

will you come visit and bring me some dynamite to get my butt off this couch? LOL

Sarah said...

Boys really do know how to entertain themselves...noises and all. I think it's been just over a year now that I started reading your blog because I remember writing to you about the tradition of photographing family members back when photography was new.

Connie said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time with Sawyer and love the little smile on Ellie's face!

Connie said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time with Sawyer and love the little smile on Ellie's face!