Monday, January 16, 2012

design wall whoops . . .

Do you really want to know what's on my design wall (or bed, as the case was last week)??  Let's just say nothing's changed except the sheets.  I just didn't get to the pineapple quilt, which is really a shame, because guess what I found??

The part of the pineapple quilt that still needs to be cut pieced, quilted and sashed . . . 
The BORDER!  YiKeS!!!!

The big floral print will actually be stitched to a wider strip of black, and the quilted pineapples will be at each of the four corners.  On the display quilt, the corner pineapples were appliqued, like the center, but I found this wonderful Sulky green holoshimmer quilting thread and wanted to use it . . . 
It was a bit of a bear to hand quilt with, but I think the final look was well worth it.  The photo just doesn't do it justice!  Here's a shot of the finished display quilt (done by Patches & Stitches):

I also finished all the stitch-in-the-ditch quilting on Ellie's quilt and have decided to fill the sashing with little hearts (thank you for all the wonderful input!) ... that too will be well worth it!  Head on over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times to see what others have up on their design walls today.

Todd thought he was being funny when he took this picture . . . 
That's me, with two shoes on (!!!!) getting ready to drive for the first time since before my surgery on September 29th!  I drove him a couple miles down the road to the post office and back.  He wanted me to go out for a test drive, with him in the passenger seat, to make sure it didn't cause pain or distress and so  he'd feel comfortable sending me out on the road.

I passed ... guess where I'm headed today?!?  Lunch with one grandbaby and dinner with the other!

How much better could a Monday get?!? 

:)

24 left a comment . . .:

Jean said...

nice pants. LOL!

Glad to hear you're mobile...That pineapple quilt would make an awesome housewarming gift. Hahahahahaaha!

(wink)

Barbara B said...

Way to go, Denise! So glad you've got wheels!

Quilter Kathy said...

I am so impressed with the pineapples...very cool!

Barbara said...

What beautiful shoes you have. I'd be headed to the fabric store! Love your pineapple, and that floral print is gorgeous!

Bonnie said...

Yeah for mobility. It's one thing if you choose to stay home for a while. But it's something entirely different if you have to stay put!

Your pineapple quilting looks great. Keep working on it! I think I'm going to love the finished product.

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on being back on both feet again. That must feel great! Stunning pineapple quilt. The hand quilting was definitely worth it.

Janet O. said...

That pineapple quilt will be amazing!
You are dressed to the nines and ready to drive. Won't it feel good to get yourself out and about again?

Sue Daurio said...

Look at you on two feet with shoes!! Love the pineapples and the floral that is going with it.

Judy D in WA said...

The quilt is fabulous. Yeah for 2 shoes and yeah for driving again. Be careful and have fun smooching on grandbabies...what a great plan!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How funny the thrill of two shoes! Having been there with same surgery, so understand. Don't overdo sweetie. Love your pineapple quilt!.

Pat said...

Hooray for driving to see the grands today!!! LOVE the way your pineapple block is quilted.

ANudge said...

Gorgeous border fabric! Glad you are mobile again and it sounds like you are going to have the fun kind of day I like to do also.

Enjoy!

big B said...

Enjoy your lunch and dinner! I love the pineapple and that holoshimmer thread looks beautiful!

Editfolt said...

I like the pineapple duvet very much. Congratulations, you to lead to new one already. Wonderful that your foot works well. :)

Barbara F. said...

Hey Denise, I am soooo happy you are able to wear both shoes and drive around. Enjoy your day with the grands. (I notice you have a bunch of followers named "Barbara", silly me thought I was the only one in your blogging life!) tee hee hee xo

Lee said...

Lovely pineapples, and that border fabric is beautiful!
Whoohoo! FREEDOM to drive when and where you want, enjoy your outings, especially to the grandbabies :)

Mary said...

YEA, You're FREE! Enjoy your outing and hugs from the grands. 4 of mine are coming for a Day after G-ma's Birthday Lunch with me. NICE! Pineapples are looking great!

Melinda said...

How exciting to be driving again. Love your pineapple quilt.

Lee D said...

yippee glad you are able to put the pedal to the metal again. Oh the possiblities and places to go!!

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Have fun with your grand babbies!

Rachel's Quilts said...

I like your stitched pineapple more than the applique. Great job!
Have fun driving again and enjoy your grandbabies.

LuAnn said...

I'm so glad you will be able to get back to driving again. Your pineapple quilt is great.

Sarah said...

Wootwoot - two shoes!! Your pineapple quilt is stunning and that border adds so much to the design.

Kate said...

Congrats on being back in two shoes and mobile again.

The pineapple looks beautiful. Hopefully it won't take you too long to finish up the parts that you found.