Wednesday, January 11, 2012

a tender promise fulfilled . . .

Note: I started composing this entry on Thursday, June 2, 2011:

This morning I did my quiet time and worked my day's lesson in the Beth Moore Bible study I'm doing -- Stepping UP: A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent. Today I wrapped up the lesson on Psalm 126; in fact, I posted that psalm, as well as my version of it, today -- June 2, 2011. The two-part part lesson (started yesterday and completed today) was very encouraging and uplifting. Probably my favorite so far!

Psalm 126 talks about the return to Jerusalem, after being in captivity for so long, and how wondrous and jubilant and excited the children of Israel were to be heading home. And it also speaks to the future -- they were looking forward to reaping joy out of their tears; blessings out of their pain. In one of the exercises yesterday, Beth had participants draw out a time line, and label it according to the time line of the psalm. I chose "Good Times," "Where I am Now," and "Future Good Times." Nothing fancy about that. Then later on, she had us go back and fill in underneath the time line, something from our own lives that represented each of the labels. I did that. My time line looked rather like this . . .


You can see that my children figure prominently into my happy memories, my current worries, and the happy promises I'm counting on God to fulfill. On both the current worries front and on the future happies, Joc was top of the list. At the end of yesterday's lesson, Beth had us turn to Jeremiah 29:11:

"For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope."

And she told us to "choose with every part of your being to believe it."

And then in today's lesson, she wrapped up our study of Psalm 126 and had us write our own version of the Psalm, which I did. I was so moved by my study and the meaning of this Psalm in my personal life, that I went ahead and blogged both the original and my version.

When I posted the entry and pulled up my blog, I noticed my Jocelyn had a new post on her blog. Can you guess what it was? Simply Psalm 126. I was blown out of the water that we'd both been there . . . and commented to her right away. But it wasn't until tonight, after leaving her home from our fun pool day with Sawyer & Kim, that I found out why she had posted it. As she walked me to my car tonight she finally blurted, "I'm pregnant!" Oh God, You are SO very good!

to be continued . . .

Today, January 11, 2012, it's time to complete this entry:


I've waited a long, long time to be able to say that Eleanor "Ellie" Pearl Merkel was born January 10, 2012, at 4:26 p.m. Weighing in at 6 pounds, 9 ounces and measuring 18 inches long, she's precious and perfect ... mommy, daddy and baby (and Neesey!) are all doing well.




The first four photos taken by our dear friend Mary Ellen of Lighthouse Photography.




Yes, God is so very good!

:)

20 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations to grandma/pa and the whole family.

Ashley Ferguson said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post!! God is so very good!

Barbara F. said...

What a beautiful little girl. Congratulations to all of you, glad to know everyone is doing fine. Blessings all around, ((hugs)) too, xo

Pat said...

Oh, my....now I need to go dry my eyes before I run my errands!!! I'm sure little Everett is looking down with love and joy, too. Little Ellie is truly a gift from God!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Oh Denise, she is beautiful!! What a wonderful blessing from the Lord. Congratulations! And may the Lord shower His rich blesssing to every one of you.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I did that study a year or two ago Denise and I love the way you've woven it into this journey. Ellie is, of course, beautiful and perfect. The joy that we feel at the birth of a new little one must be something like the joy God feels as we each come to Him with our hearts in our hands acknowledging His place in our lives. Amazing joy! Congratulations to you all! blessings, marlene

Paula said...

I am crying my eyes out as I read this and now typing, or trying to type. Such happy, joyous tears of joy for your family. Ellie is adorable and perfect. Congratualtions!
God Bless all.
Hugs

Tina Wright Photography said...

You always bless my heart with how you allow God to use you and your words and your life... Thank You... :) ... and NOW... YIPPEE, YIPPEE, YIPPEE!!! She's HERE!... SHE'S HERE!!... and I can't wait to get to meet her!! (1st now that I FINALLY got my sling off and my arm is attempting to work with better ease, I've got a sewing project in the making!! ;) ...) ... She's just BEAUTIFUL! (Like her Neesey & her MOM!) ... I love you girls!! See ya SOON!!

Tina :) ...

C. Joy said...

Denise - Congratulations to you all. She's wonderful! Want a 'cheap thrill?' Stop for a minute and look at your darling granddaughter - think about how much you love her. Now ponder this: God loves her even more. God loves you even more than you love that beautiful baby. God loves everyone on earth even more than you love that blessed little child. Kind of takes your breath away,doesn't it? Now quit reading me as I rattle on and on and go enjoy this time. Thanks for letting us come along with you on this wonderful adventure.

Momof3girls said...

She's so beautiful! Congratulations! I can't wait to see her wrapped in her beautiful blanket. Thanks for the pictures.
Blessings!

Editfolt said...

sweet baby! you very nice! Tod grand fater?

Asiyah said...

Praise the Lord! I am SO happy for you all. Hugs to you and mommy Joc!

Cathy said...

Thank you, thank you Lord for answered prayer. Thank you Lord for the gift of life, both physical life, and the future life to come when we shall see you face to face, and be reunited with all those we love who are united with You. Thank you Lord.

Cassandra said...

What a beautiful baby!! :) :)

Sweet Baby James said...

Praising the Lord for such a beautiful baby and birth. thank you for letting me apart of your sweet families life

Lee said...

Indeed! Praise God for His goodness, and for a healthy, and BEAUTIFUL, little bundle of sweetness. Congratulations to everyone, especially the parents. I hope (and expect) we will see as many wonderful posts about Miss Ellie as we do Sawyer. Hugs to you!

Sarah said...

Welcome Ellie - you will be oh so loved!!! (I peaked at her nursery on Joc's blog - adorable!)

Barbara said...

Oh, Denise, your post made me cry. Congratulations and best wishes to your family.

Mary said...

Reading this gave me the tingles! So AWESOME how it comes round full-circle. She's a beauty and I see a very Happy G-ma! Congrats to all of you.

chuckmullis said...

This warms my heart! Congratulations and may God continue to bless!