Wednesday, January 18, 2012

a delightful surprise . . .

I became fascinated with Civil War fabrics midway through 2011--right around July--when my Stitcher's Group decided to do a block swap using CW fabrics.  I've admitted before that up until that time, I really had no interest in CW fabrics, thinking they'd be dull and dark; and I've admitted how wrong I was!

After shopping for fabrics for this swap -- picture HERE -- I totally fell in love with CW reproduction fabrics and decided to to a little investigating into the fabrics and what people did with them.  That search resulted some fabulous finds, one of my favorite being Barbara Brackman's blog, Civil War Quilts.  On each Saturday of 2011 she posted a block and tied the block's name into the history of the Civil War.  Each block was crafted in CW fabrics and included wonderful instructions for recreating the block (it was a quilt along, for those who got in on it early enough).  
 

I found the entries (and the blocks and the fabrics) fascinating and immediately subscribed to the blog.  Since I didn't find it until late in August, I new I wouldn't be going back and making all the blocks, but for several weeks I truly enjoyed pulling up the Saturday post and thumbing through my CW fabrics and reproducing the blocks.  Then September rolled around with the weekend conference, followed by the Jamboree, followed by my foot surgery and while I continued to read and enjoy the weekly blog posts, I didn't make any more blocks.

But I made three ... the two above and this one:

And all of them I uploaded to the Flickr group associated with the blog, which generated some nice chatter and led me to some other interesting blogs . . . but I really didn't think anything more about it. 

Until I got an e-mail from Barbara Brackman herself.  Wow!  That was cool enough as it was, but what was even cooler was that she wants to include my rendition of the Kentucky Crossroads block in the book she's creating from the project.  See the original from Barbara's blog HERE.

HOW COOL IS THAT?!?

Of course I said yes (of course!) and emailed the completed documentation right back to her.  She says it will be about a year before the book is ready to hit the shelves, but when it does, a photo of my handiwork will be in it!  Wow!

I promise I won't get a big head or anything.  LOL!

:)

20 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How exciting is that!!!!! Congratulations, stunning block and great fabric and color choice. Oh, will you get a copy of the book? Signed?

Barbara F. said...

Congratulations!!!! That is exciting news. I love the fabric, actually, I always enjoyed the CW era part of our history. xo

StitchinByTheLake said...

I made the first 3 or 4 blocks and printed off the rest but never got back to them. Someday. I love that your block will be in her book - how exciting for you! blessings, marlene

Jean said...

Awesome! Hammers in Winchester has a good assortment of Civil war stuff at really great (!!!!!) prices.

Cathy said...

That is so very, very cool!!!! This computer blogging stuff brings us into contact with so many people we would never have other wise met.

Rachel's Quilts said...

Congratulations! Your blocks look great.

Lee said...

How awesome that is! I'll look forward to her book!
I love the CW prints/fabrics too. I find I'm drawn to more 'earth tones' overall anyway and they seem to fit in that category. I also love 30's era repros.

Editfolt said...

cool blocks. I like it the drunk man's step block. You will be you in a book. That's fantastic.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Stopped to admire your beautiful blocks. Way cool is right! How fun is that to have your block in a book!

In the process, the name of your blog spoke to me today. I posted it on my blog. Thanks for sharing the Word.

Paula said...

Congratulations! WOW! I am impressed. And, I got to know you before you were famous! LOL!
Your blocks are wonderful. I have also just gotten the civil war itch. Hmmm. Did I catch it from you?
enjoying the pictures of your grandchildren also. Keep them coming.
Hugs

Connie said...

How exciting Denise! I'm not surprised as your work is always so beautiful!

Mary said...

That's a Nice Block! Glad I follow your blog and can see. I have 20 of them made.

Janet O. said...

That is so very cool, Denise. Congrats!!

Sarah said...

Lucky You!!! I'll have to get your autograph when I get the book...

Melissa said...

Congratulations! That is so neat!

c. Joy said...

With age comes wisdom --- and fame. This 50 year may turn out to be more than you even thought, hoped, or imagined. Your quilt work is beautiful.

Pat said...

What great news!!! I looked at her original block and she obviously has very good sense, because YOUR block looks much nicer (I think it's the fabric choice) than hers...in my opinion!!! :)

AnnieO said...

Very exciting! Glad you found some CW love and it loved you back :)

Ellen said...

Congratulations! I can see why she wants to put it in her book - your block does look fantastic.

Kate said...

Very cool! Congratulations! Your Kentucky Crossroads is really nice. That dark burgundy with the grays is really eye catching.